Table of the Week Club...Week 16: WHIRLWIND

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Quick, head to the cellar for this week's table, Whirlwind! This happens to be one of my favorite tables in real life. Yay for me. Post thoughts, strategies, comments below. This also is now the 4th table for our upcoming TotM for May, to be held on the 30th. As a reminder, here are all the tables...

Monster Bash
Cue Ball Wizard
Centaur
Whirlwind

Sign ups will start on May 27th. If you have any interest in winning the Randy "Macho Man" Savage custom shooter rod from Wizard Amusements, you need to have competed in 4 of the six TotM, and this will be tourney #4.

Enough about that though. Go check your low pressure systems and play some classic Lawlor!

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Nice! Learned to respect this table a long time ago in one of the TPA tourneys. Another one that I'm sure will kick my bum. But this time I promise to post my scores, no matter how sucky they might/will be

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Well I soon learned that the game only gives out so many Extra Balls, unlike FunHouse. Dangit.

Just hit 80 million. Game ended with a botched Plunger Cam when Multiball was ready.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Whirlwin! Love this table :) cranking up the million plus makes my heart pound!

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Let's just say this table is going to be really frustrating in the TOTM due to how fast it plays on iPad 2.

Even with that flaw, it's still a reasonably fun table. My go-to strategy is to start Multiball, drain a ball, collect the Million Plus shot as soon as possible, and then shoot a ball into one of the cellars so that when the Replay animation plays it'll still be locked in there. If the ball is locked in the cellar I can easily go for many more Million Plus shots by shooting the right ramp Kickout and then the side ramp.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
7101E1C19EFFFCEA7B546017422C8AB2D5DC9D73

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Now let's see you do that in the tournament!

Am I the only one that has an inordinate amount of left outlane drains?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Completely forgot about this... another of my faves and I love the TPA version. Played the heck out of it back in the day. Best on a real table is about 30M. TPA I think I'm around 120M. Need to check.

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
I do better with with the table on the PSP vs the PS3, will have to give it a few Whirls this week.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Drat. Don't have it on Android and since it's paired with CPub I'm not that inclined to drop $5. Waiting for the next sale to fill in S2.

Ah well will have a quick blast on my PC after Game Of Thrones :)

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Drat. Don't have it on Android and since it's paired with CPub I'm not that inclined to drop $5. Waiting for the next sale to fill in S2.

Ah well will have a quick blast on my PC after Game Of Thrones :)

Me too. Here's where 2.99 single tables would come in handy.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Well I soon learned that the game only gives out so many Extra Balls, unlike FunHouse. Dangit.

So the instructions clearly say "You can earn a maximum of six Extra Balls per game." Zaphod77 confirms here: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...amp-Strategies?p=136399&viewfull=1#post136399

Now I had a miracle of a first ball yesterday. I had 37M, 4 extra balls, and 2 more lit. I collected both of them and had 6 EBs. Here's proof:

2015_05_10_00001_SIX_EBS.jpg

Here's the thing: on a later ball, I SWEAR I lit EB again (from the Super Cellar), and collected it. I can't prove it and don't know a way to without video capture. I'm fairly certain I lit and collected an eighth EB. Now I don't trust my own sanity too much (I made a post to this forum yesterday complaining that you couldn't backhand the Super Cellar), so I'm wondering if anyone else has any evidence of collecting more than six EBs in one game.

I'm also curious what other tables allow you to have six (or five) EBs at once. Most tables (that allow >1 EB per ball) max at 4 at once, right?

This is a wondrous table whose only unlovable quality is that those MB jackpots are all that matter to score, at least the max EBs are collected, anyway. I worshipped WWind in real life in the 1990s... a buddy actually bought one at auction and I put up like 250M on it at his apt one time when I was at my peak of pinball-playing abilities. Keith "TSPP" Johnson was there too, unless that was a different day. Sadly, no proof exists of that, either. I'm less enamored of the TPA version... the art is just too blurry, and some of the shots feel a little off sometimes. But it's a tremendous start, and the only reason for lack of TPA love is the quantity of love for the real thing.

For a very long time I thought the Million Plus jackpot did not reset. I'm not sure why. Maybe this is an option and thus helped me get 250M?

I view Earthshaker as mostly a warmup for this dandy.

Does anyone try to combine regular Multiball with Quick Multiball as the Pro Tips suggest? Or try to light Quick MB with the Tornado (?) drop target?

IPDb says: "Reportedly, the term cellar hole was derived from 'The Cellar' on this game."

Here's a bug: Farsight forgot to put this in their version:

image-22.jpg

The backglass kid is actually a Cubs fan:
image_44.jpg

While I'm replicating IPDb, here is some fine art for you:

image-4.jpg

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm with you on the EBs. I could swear I've managed to get more than 6 total in a game before.

My one decent game I had last night, I maxed out at 4 EBs on ball 1 and wound up with around ~40M before draining for the first time; my score ended up as ~55M.

Now, my local high score list is borked. My best game is 124M, which is my one-and-only 100M+ game. It was sitting as #1 on my leaderboard. Then I shot 29M, which promptly went to #1!! Then the 55M game which is also #1.

So my local high score list is something like...
#1 55M
#2 29M
#3 (1)24M
#4 ~50M(?)

Looked even weirder before I got the 53M.

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
Finally just had a great game and got all the wizard goals in the same game, finished up with 56.9 mil+.
Blew away my former HS of 20mil+, went from #2668 to #308.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts