Table of the Week Club...Week 17: HARLEY DAVIDSON

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well it had to show up at some point, so get your motors runnin', because this week we play Harley Davidson. Maybe pretend it's Road Show? I certainly know I'll be looking in this discussion for the positives rather than negative, otherwise it will be a long week! Don't forget, ride to live...

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Well it had to show up at some point, so get your motors runnin', because this week we play Harley Davidson. Maybe pretend it's Road Show? I certainly know I'll be looking in this discussion for the positives rather than negative, otherwise it will be a long week! Don't forget, ride to live...

~crash~ WHERE'D YOU LEARN TO DRIIIVE, SON?!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Should this be table #17? Or is maths hard for me today? I thought whirlwind was #16?

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
There goes that mystery rider again, I can't seem to find him.

So, surprisingly for a late 90s DMD game, this game doesn't have very many rules. There isn't a mode structure of any sort, just some hurry-ups, a video mode, and three Multiballs. The hurry-ups don't score much at all, so the best thing to go for is the three Multiballs and trying to perfect the Video Modes for Extra Balls and 35 million.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I like this table. It had a lot of issues with multiball and losing the ball count sometimes. Not sure, if this has been fixed entirely, but I don't think I had this issue last times I played.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
What makes you say that?

The extreme lack of variety. Three multiball modes that are essentially all the same. A tragically bad video mode that isn't even original to this game (it was the same in Guns N' Roses) that you play far too often. Launch the ball, bat the ball or balls around, drain the ball, rinse and repeat. Yawn.

Couple that with awful playfield art - the start of Stern's photoshop trend - and some poor voiceover work - and you have a table that is at its best uninspiring.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Some tables I haven't played in a while and I think, "I forgot how much fun this was!" Harley is not one of those tables.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
This will be one of those tables I play right up until the second I get the last wizard goal. Then it goes back on the shelf.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Is it just me or are there actually some kind of negative vibrations in this thread? ;)

workshed

Feb 26, 2015
I'm not a fan of this table, although I don't hate it. The angles from the flippers always seem odd to me. It takes me a while to adjust. It doesn't help one of the few times I had a really good game going I stuffed too many balls too quickly into the scoop during a multiball and broke the game. It isn't a table I'd play for fun, but with the monthly tourney coming around it is time to man up and find a way.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
This is another early TPA table that might actually work better with some better flasher Alpha effects. The flasher effects around the motorbike and ramps would liven up this game.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Having just spent a few hours playing this table, some thoughts...

The layout isn't actually half bad. I think if the flippers were a little better tuned, this table would be much more enjoyable.

Why do we have access to the center post at will? Shouldn't there be a limit on uses? Very odd.

Because the cities are randomly presented, and the fact there are no lights indicating which cities you have visited, there's a distinct lack of knowing how you are progressing. This leads to you just not caring. Instead of thinking, "oh yeah, I finally made it to Seattle!", you are just thinking "was that my 3rd or 8th city visited?"

The video mode. For starters, way too much of it. Add in that there is a pattern to the pedestrians, but no other things to grab. And then just the idea of, why are we hitting pedestrians?

What's up with the Harley vacuuming up my balls when open? The ball looks like it is gonna fall back down and then "thwick!" it gets sucked into the drop.

This table needs a re-skin. Gimme some 70's style Rat Fink art on there, or go psychedelic 60's. Add a map of all the cities that light as you get them, get rid of video mode every 30 seconds, and put in a slew of new (and better) call outs.

I've only got 2 goals left; Harley Super Jackpot and Milwaukee Jackpot. Come very close on Harley, and hit about 12 or 13 of the 16 cities. Please, please end my torture soon!

JimTheGunner95

Apr 12, 2015
Having just spent a few hours playing this table, some thoughts...

The layout isn't actually half bad. I think if the flippers were a little better tuned, this table would be much more enjoyable.

Why do we have access to the center post at will? Shouldn't there be a limit on uses? Very odd.

Because the cities are randomly presented, and the fact there are no lights indicating which cities you have visited, there's a distinct lack of knowing how you are progressing. This leads to you just not caring. Instead of thinking, "oh yeah, I finally made it to Seattle!", you are just thinking "was that my 3rd or 8th city visited?"

The video mode. For starters, way too much of it. Add in that there is a pattern to the pedestrians, but no other things to grab. And then just the idea of, why are we hitting pedestrians?

What's up with the Harley vacuuming up my balls when open? The ball looks like it is gonna fall back down and then "thwick!" it gets sucked into the drop.

This table needs a re-skin. Gimme some 70's style Rat Fink art on there, or go psychedelic 60's. Add a map of all the cities that light as you get them, get rid of video mode every 30 seconds, and put in a slew of new (and better) call outs.

I've only got 2 goals left; Harley Super Jackpot and Milwaukee Jackpot. Come very close on Harley, and hit about 12 or 13 of the 16 cities. Please, please end my torture soon!
Regarding your complaint on the progress of cities you've visited, that can be seen by activating the status screen. Hold either flipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts