Table of the Week Club...Week 20: DINER

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hope you are hungry, because for week 20 we are playing Diner!

I don't have anything quippy to say about this table as I have very little experience with it. Funny, isn't that kind of one of the points of TotW? So post your thoughts, tips, strategies, and all that below.

And with that, we have our 4 tables for the June 27th TotM! As a reminder, they are...

Harley Davidson
Ripley's Believe It Or Not
El Dorado City of Gold
Diner

Sign ups will be open on June 24th, but don't worry, there will be plenty of reminders.

In the meantime, I need to place an order...yes I'll take a Double Double animal style, fries, and a chocolate shake....

invitro

May 4, 2012
My high is 96M, I'll see if I can beat pw45b this week. I thought I had figured out a decent strategy when I got the 96M, but I seem to have completely forgotten it. I'm curious to read what people here say.

I think this is one of the best jobs by Farsight. They made it hard, which is fine with me. I don't know if I love the actual table. I wish one of the customers was Pin*Bot.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It's certainly a drain monster, isn't it? I'm just trying to even stand upright with this thing right now. I wiped out all the standard goals in less than an hour, now I've got 1 down and 4 to go for wizards. My aim is all wrong right now, and I'm flabbergasted at how many different ways I've seen the ball drain. They certainly did make this one tough, which is a nice change. As I have no strategy, I too am curious to see what people say.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Ahh, Diner. The sequel to Taxi using many of the same themes. And boy is it a drain monster.

A strategy many players of the table in real life use to score big is shoot the left ramp over and over; this not only awards points and can light the Extra Ball fairly easy, but also advances the Dine-Time value after the Extra Ball is lit. This can easily be done in TPA to have a huge Dine-Time value waiting for you once you collect it.

I also play Multiball on this table a ton but it's rather hard to control here so I usually don't bother. A good strategy would be trying to lock a ball, then shoot the lit Today's Special sinkhole; this allows you to start multiball and spot the first Beat The Rush shot as the ball is fed into the saucer from the kickout.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Well that's 2 tables I need to buy for my tablet if I'm to attempt the tourney.

This and El Dorado.

I'll be on vacation so maybe I can justify the $10, eh?

Diner is a drain monster and scores can be either excellent or nada. There seems to be no middle ground.

Getting the end of ball bonus tip to 10% is worth it though it resets at 100M. In a 3 ball game might make a difference though.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I only played it when it came out but I've been meaning to get back to it, so looking forward to some 3ball games.
My strategy isn't very developed (yet?), I try to start multiball then hold one ball on left flipper and just shoot the left ramp repeatedly with the other ball. Try to avoid shooting the ball up right ramp so I still have ball lock available after multiball. Collect the dine-time jackpot when lit or when maxed out dine-time.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Two things...

1) Am I the only one that is slightly off put by the idea of Haji ordering a hot dog? I don't mean to stereotype, but I'd put good money on the fact he don't eat pork!

2) What the hell is that sound upon launch supposed to be? It's either the sound of someone sliding into a vinyl booth, or a fart being ripped right before the meal!

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
I played Diner quite a bit when it came out, and I think it's a great table which is very well done in TPA! :) My top score is 166M and I think I had a decent strategy but don't remember exactly...
Spelling EAT lights "spot food/drink/customer" or whatever at the ramps, which is nice, and also lights advance the clock in the inlanes. Multiball can yield great points - Both the Dine-time jackpot and ramps are worth a fair bit of points. Looking forward to give Diner a few tries during the week.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Two things...

1) Am I the only one that is slightly off put by the idea of Haji ordering a hot dog? I don't mean to stereotype, but I'd put good money on the fact he don't eat pork!

2) What the hell is that sound upon launch supposed to be? It's either the sound of someone sliding into a vinyl booth, or a fart being ripped right before the meal!

If Haji wants a hot dog, good for him! :) A lot of Indians eat pork from my experience (he's supposed to be Indian, right?). I don't think the diet for a Hindu is as strict as for a Muslim. Regardless, all the guests are just supposed to be funny in a tacky stereotypical way, which ain't that bad. Champion Pub does it better though imo, I always have a few laughs at the fighters' comments.

I thought the sound was a jukebox scratching a vinyl record before it starts.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
If Haji wants a hot dog, good for him! :) A lot of Indians eat pork from my experience (he's supposed to be Indian, right?)

The internet tells me, Haji is a muslim name. Maybe the hot dog is made of beef. ;-)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
The internet tells me, Haji is a muslim name. Maybe the hot dog is made of beef. ;-)

Haji is wearing a turban; most likely he's Sikh. Sikhs don't have any significant dietary restrictions.

Pork just isn't common in India. Mostly chicken and seafood. Also it is usually safer to stick to a vegetarian diet even if you don't object to eating meat.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
See? I knew it was a bad stereotype for me to be thinking! This is what happens when you live in SoCal and have militant vegans cross your path on a semi regular basis. Speaking of stereotypes...

A vegan, a crossfitter, a butch lesbian, and someone who lives glucose free all walk into a bar. How did the other bar patrons know this? Because they wouldn't shut up about it.

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
See? I knew it was a bad stereotype for me to be thinking! This is what happens when you live in SoCal and have militant vegans cross your path on a semi regular basis. Speaking of stereotypes...

A vegan, a crossfitter, a butch lesbian, and someone who lives glucose free all walk into a bar. How did the other bar patrons know this? Because they wouldn't shut up about it.

The next thing you know is the NAAMP are going to be involved.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts