PS3 version VS. Vita version

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
How many of you also have the PS3 version?

I don't know if you have tried it with the update and DLC yesterday, but holy hell is the PS3 version good.

-Far better physics
-Smoother
-Far more detailed geometry
-Very sharp texture work and artwork.
-Better sound detail (although the volume level is a bit low)
-Artwork that seems to be missing from the Vita.
etc...

And the new lighting! Dear God does it look good! The PS3 version now looks like those youtube vids showing off a tables light shows.
I will say that I think they darkened the general lighting just a bit to much, but overall the new look is incredible.

So here's my point. I don't know if I can really play and enjoy the Vita version anymore.
The PS3 version is truly so much better that the Vita version "feels" like a bad port of the mobile version now. The Vita version feels
even more broken to me than before.

Now supposedly the Vita version is going to get a lighting overhaul at some point. I hope it comes sooner rather than later and I really
hope that it comes close to the console version.

Anyone else feel similar?

Evilpenguinj

May 24, 2012
I do think the Vita version is inferior to the PS3, but I kind of expected that. It's mobile, you can take it with you. I am sure Farsight will update things in time but I like the fact that I can take these tables with me wherever I go.

Peter NYC

Apr 17, 2012
Presently the Vita version has some relatively minor bugs but on the whole I find it to be highly enjoyable. I doubt the Vita has the processing power of a PS3, but improvements are coming and it will only get better.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
I'm assuming Farsight has to constrict the file sizes , so it fits on the 4 Gig memory stick if that's what people have. I have a 8 GIG stick BTW , and then there's bandwith issues to be considered , I'm guessing the mishap with the TOM and other tables graphics were due to a bad file compression , after having re-downloaded the old demo and playing the non update , I can't wait until they fix that. Also you can tell by playing the PS3 version that the Vita has some of the voice files cut out , because there are samples in PS3 I never heard on the Vita.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Until Sony does something about the horrific controller they have with the PS3 as well as bring the online systems and user interface up to par with the Xbox 360, it will continue to be a bluray player and Netflix box for me. Personally I have been really satisfied with the Vita version but have been disappointed with the post release support. However, I hope that they will work out all of the small issues and am doing my part to help by maintaining the bugs and glitches topic. Thanks a lot for helping contribute to the topic since I hope it will make the difference and finally get some attention for the PS Vita version from the developers.

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
hope they Make the an option to have night tables and day tables on the systems, I like the lighting on the night tables bu i also like the day tables and all the artwork on the playfield. I have a hard time seeing the artwork on the ps3 tables but love the beautiful lites. I would like to have both worlds if they can do it.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I agree with all of you.
I wasn't trying to bash on the Vita version. It's just that the PS3 version looks and plays so incredible that it has (slightly) affected my enjoyment of the Vita version.

I'll still play ity on Vita more because:
1. Pinball must be portable!
2. I play different types of games on console.
3. I normally don't even keep my PS3 connected

I'm assuming Farsight has to constrict the file sizes , so it fits on the 4 Gig memory stick if that's what people have.

TPA is less than 400 megs so I don't think it's that at all.

Until Sony does something about the horrific controller they have with the PS3 as well as bring the online systems and user interface up to par with the Xbox 360, it will continue to be a bluray player and Netflix box for me.

Ha! That's funny because I feel the same way. I've actively dis-liked the PS3 since the day I brought it home. I feel the 360 trumps it in nearly every way.

I also normally only use the PS3 for blu-rays, and even then not often.
In fact i don't even normally keep the PS3 hooked up.

Last edited:

mrhorseshoe

Jun 25, 2012
I like to be able to play on the bus or in the library. I'm almost never at home. I just wish the bugs would be fixed and the graphics updated to match the PS3. I think the less popular versions like the Vita suffer the most since FarSight is developing for every platform under the sun.

Eric Qel-Droma

Jul 3, 2012
The PSV version is my favorite of all the versions I own (PS3, PSV, iOS, Android). If it had all the tables, I'd be even more excited. In fact, TPA is pretty much THE reason I keep my PSV at this point. If there were a good 3DS version of it, I'd probably dump my Vita.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
The PSV version is my favorite of all the versions I own (PS3, PSV, iOS, Android). If it had all the tables, I'd be even more excited. In fact, TPA is pretty much THE reason I keep my PSV at this point. If there were a good 3DS version of it, I'd probably dump my Vita.

I understand this is off topic, but fair warning is needed. As an owner of both a 3DS and a PS Vita, please do not replace it with a 3DS as you will only regret the decision. Both systems have terribly lacklustre libraries right now and if TPA is anything like the Williams Collection on the 3DS it will not be a good experience as compared to the Vita.

Latin00032

Aug 8, 2012
Yea. The PS vita version is pretty good. It does play different than the consoles. Right not i keep my vita to game on the road. I do wish there was an update for it coming down the pipe soon though.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I'm really hoping we see a lot of the Vitas problems fixed on the 4th. I haven't been able to play it since a bit after the last update... it's just far to broken.

If they don't fix it then, I may just write TPA off for good.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Oh BTW with Tuesdays Vita firmware , you will be able to use a Vita for your PS3 controller I understand . might be cool if it works on the Pinball Arcade

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Oh BTW with Tuesdays Vita firmware , you will be able to use a Vita for your PS3 controller I understand . might be cool if it works on the Pinball Arcade

That would be awesome. I cannot stand that malformed piece of plastic that they call a controller for the PS3.

Eric Qel-Droma

Jul 3, 2012
Thanks for the heads-up, Crush3d_Turtle. My biggest problem with the 3DS (when I owned one) was that I never played it. When I got my Vita, I played the heck out of TPA for about three weeks... and now I'm done for a while and have nothing else to play. Ah, well. As a gamer, I'm pretty much required to have something to gripe about, right? :)

Piccalilli

Oct 13, 2012
I prefer the Vita version over the PS3 version. I haven't had any problems with flipper lag on Vita, and it feels really fun to me. I love being able to take my games with me. Presently I feel like I have to stick to wifi spots since, TPA doesn't register offline scores on the leaderboards. It sucks to crush a previous highscore on a table like Black Hole but not get credit for it, but at least TPA is planning on fixing that somewhere down the line. With that fixed and the ability to use buttons during portrait mode, TPA would be even more solid on Vita. As it is, I still pick it over my PS3 version, 9 times out of ten. Flipper lag on PS3 is a big problem for me.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I agree, I only play the Vita version due to flipper lag on PS3 too. This is partly as my TV is quite laggy to begin with, but then there is the extra lag the PS3 has in 1080p too. Its a shame as its FAR better looking on PS3.

The biggest issue for me on Vita is that the playfield is too bright, its harder to track the ball, looks less realistic and doesn't show up the lights very well. Although the lighting is pretty lacking on the Vita version overall compared to PS3.

When I contact FS though they did say their aim was to try and make the Vita version look as good as the PS3 version, so I will keep my fingers crossed especially as I am looking forward to the Start Trek TNG table soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.