Hi gang!

pinballnoob

Jul 27, 2015
Hey there gang.

I've very recently been bitten by the pinball bug and have the portrait mode flipped up monitor on its back to prove it, haha. I've only been playing pinball for one month, having gotten hooked on sorcerer's lair on my phone of all things. I was born in '78 and saw the tail end of the arcade craze, and have been a gamer all my life. I build a custom rig about every 5 years or so to maintain my addiction. Somehow I just never came across pinball machines to play, though I do remember playing a few when I was very young. Steam put season 1 of PA on sale for $15.00 yesterday so I finally pulled the trigger. Until then I had Future Pinball running, playing Alien Legacy mostly, and some other Zen titles.

I would love to show you guys my setup. I looked but couldn't find a dedicated place to post my pinball setup, so apologies if I missed it. Should I create a new thread in PC, as it is a PC setup, or what?

Anyway, glad to be aboard!

pinballnoob

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Welcome to the PAF forums!

There's a dedicated PC sub-forum, and a general game discussions sub-forum. Or you could've just posted details here. But probably in the PC sub-forum is best.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Howdy pinballnoob welcome to the forum. You were born the same year I graduated from high school.

I look forward to seeing some images the custom rigs you built.

pinballnoob

Jul 27, 2015
Edit: Oops, I meant this as a reply to invitro... I need to brush up on my forum skillz.

I'm rather new to the NC area. I grew up in Mississippi, then lived in Indiana for 10 years, then South Carolina, then Canada, and now here in the Triad area. I just played my first real pinball machine in a billion years at Tweetsie Railroad amusement park outside of Boone last weekend. It was Roller Coaster Tycoon... I don't know much about real machines, but it didn't seem to play well. The top flipper didn't seem to work and the table glitched out one time. It totally thrashed me, regardless. I think I scored a whopping 2 million as my best score after 3 plays. I was there with the family of course, but I was a little disappointed with the machine.

I did some looking around Winston Salem for a place to play but didn't find one. I didn't look too hard though... if you know of a good place please let me know as WS is my closest biggest location. I did look at Greensboro and saw the Something-or-another arcade that you pay to get into and the machines are all set to free play. The woman who answered the phone said they had 3 pins atm, Theater of Magic, perhaps, and the new Star Trek, I think... so I'm hoping to get over there soon.

But, where I grew up... dirt roads? The town half an hour away had an arcade but Gauntlet or the sit-down xwing arcade game got most of my quarters.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I just played my first real pinball machine in a billion years at Tweetsie Railroad amusement park outside of Boone last weekend. It was Roller Coaster Tycoon...
Tweetsie Railroad is still around? I went there a few times as a kid... well I lived in Raleigh in the 1990s, but drove all over the Triad and SE NC looking for pinball action, which was mega-abundant in the Triangle. I don't know anything about that area now, though. I suppose you've looked at the pinball locator at pinside? I wouldn't expect that there'd be much though. Winston-Salem had a big auction in the 1990s that I went to lots... actually I think it's still there. If you're interested and didn't already know, you may want to google "winston salem pinball auction". Asheville has a pinball museum which has a lot of EMs and a few new ones, mostly in rotten condition. They have/had a weekly tourney on Wednesday too, check their facebook if going.

North Carolina is a great state and I hope you enjoy it.

Potrzebie

Sep 4, 2014
Welcome aboard. Yeah, it can be pretty tough finding real tables these days unless you live in a major city. Often when you find one, they're in dreadful condition, which is one reason most operators don't want them. They are a real maintenance headache for the small-time venue. Hopefully you'll someday get a chance to visit one of the big halls like Pinball Wizard in New Hampshire or the National Pinball Museum in Vegas.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts