Table of the Week Club...Week 27: CENTRAL PARK

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
After 2 DMD tables in a row, we go way old school with Central Park. I had to hit the randomizer button numberous times for it to not select either a table that was just in the FarSight tourney or a very recent release table. And hey, I like to throw a bone now and then to our players that enjoy this sort of 'fun'. Let's start the discussion, shall we?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
An hour later and I've beaten all the standard and wizard goals. Scoring 1000 on one ball is kinda hard.

My general impression of this table is that somebody fed it way too much caffeine. Once again slings are way too powerful, making the lower half of the table move the ball at lightning speeds. The flippers are also way too strong, getting the ball up to the top of the field much too easily. I keep saying, I've yet to play an EM where even getting the ball 3/4 of the way up was a challenge. Tuning these EMs to play like modern tables is just the quickest way to kill the appeal of these things. Doubt I'll touch this table for the rest of the week.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Another one where EBs are okay in the tournament, I'd say.

Oh, and the shooter rod prize has shipped, just waiting for it to make its way from California to Pennsylvania. Should have evidence this week.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Oh yeah, extra balls will totally be okay on this table. Thanks for pointing that out.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
This is Reflex Central with the speed of the ball and reactivity of everything else (is there anything that does not bounce?). It's good nudging and emergency rescue practice, you can feel like a wizard when you pull out some impossible saves. No strategy to speak of, although I like to have my specials lined up at ball 4 or even better 3. This gives some cushion for extra speedy drains without getting the special/extra ball. If the ball comes down somewhat controlable to the flippers, I like to aim at the lanes 1-3-5 and 6-8-10 just above the very widely placed slingshots. This often completes one side. My best score is just above 7000, although sadly no Wifi at that moment. A case of a lot of luck and some really cool saves. But more luck.... :)
Aside from the basic gameplay I really like the layout for some weird reason, it feels very original and ball trajectories are wild and interesting (for a while). Those lane dividers at the top look like mini flippers, like they had some spare ones lying around and were thinking what can we do with that? I think those flippers are really the grand parents of all mini-flippers that came afterward, like "Thing Flips" in TAF. I savor the moments that I have a rare cradled ball... :). All in all a nice short diversion but not anything I fire up to really enjoy the best that TPA has to offer.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
My general impression of this table is that somebody fed it way too much caffeine. Once again slings are way too powerful, making the lower half of the table move the ball at lightning speeds. The flippers are also way too strong, getting the ball up to the top of the field much too easily. I keep saying, I've yet to play an EM where even getting the ball 3/4 of the way up was a challenge.

You've mentioned this before and it makes me wonder if FarSight either doesn't care, or are not able to make such changes in their engine.

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
The 1000 pt wizard goal has escaped my for a long time, maybe I'll give this table a play or two this week.

Happy to have had played the real table though, and it's nothing like the TPA version.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
ok, what needs to be done to play in TOTW ?

TotW (table of the week) requires nothing to be done other than playing the selected table that week and joining in the conversation here. You can post tips, your scores, the challenge of beating wizard goals, favorite part of a table, what bugs you, whatever. TotW is purely having a focused conversation for one week.

TotM (tournament of the month) is a whole other deal. That the one that you actually need to sign up for, and we play the last 4 TotW in a tournament setting. Just remember, it's on the last Saturday of the month, with sign ups happening a few days before, starting on a Wednesday.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
My general impression of this table is that somebody fed it way too much caffeine. Once again slings are way too powerful, making the lower half of the table move the ball at lightning speeds. The flippers are also way too strong, getting the ball up to the top of the field much too easily. I keep saying, I've yet to play an EM where even getting the ball 3/4 of the way up was a challenge. Tuning these EMs to play like modern tables is just the quickest way to kill the appeal of these things. Doubt I'll touch this table for the rest of the week.

For the record, I raised this issue with @r_schwantner and directed him to expert advice directly from Nick Baldridge about how EM flippers work.

I'm hoping this guidance will help FarSight implement more realistic strength profiles for different table eras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.