BlahCade Podcast #22: Feelin' Good

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
You might be thinking, "well that was quicker than usual for a new BlahCade to pop up", and you would be correct. Get used to it!

If we use the analogy of a caterpillar turning into a butterfly, BlahCade is just starting to break out of the chrysalis. The show is taking a new direction which we describe in this episode.

We also talk about the F14 Tomcat Beta as well, and a few Known Issues to look out for in this release (that are out of FarSight’s control).

Lights. GAMERA. Action is the TotW. Chris talks about how messed up the theme is on this game, and the exorcist-like woman between the flippers.

It’s a new dawn. It’s a new day. It’s a new life. And we’re feelin’ good.

You can find the podcast and all our archived shows at our new link, http://shoutengine.com/BlahCadePodcast/

Or the iTunes version can be found here. This is our new setup, so be sure to subscribe to it as the old subscription will eventually be phased out.

Be social with us!

On Twitter...

• @BlahCade
  • @shutyertraps
  • @jaredmorgs
On Google+

BlahCade Podcast

Via Email

BlahBlahBlahCade@gmail.com

== Markers

* Opening and Sponsors
* Introductions - 0:35
* Podcast Changes - 4:10
* Beta Blah - 12:45
* TotW - 24:00
* Sponsors and Close - 32:00

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I just noticed you guys use the same font that FarSight uses in their select screen.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Podcast every week? Cool. I don't mind it's shorter. Do you intend to stick with a 30 min. limit? Or would you extend it if you had more content - just thinking about the forum questions with Bobby - you might have to stretch that over 4 episodes. Not that this is a bad thing.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
That was a good episode. I think the move to half-hour weekly podcasts is a great decision. No offense, but I wasn't a fan of the off-topic rambles in the earlier episodes.

God, the Lights Action Camera art is terrible. Don't know why FarSight even chose that table to begin with. They could've chosen Rescue 911 or Wipeout but nope. We get a crappy alphanumeric. Whoopity-dee-do-dee-do-whoopity-doo.

Remember, sometimes, even good pizza can be pretty horrendous if you make it wrong. IMO, Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball and Gilligan's Island are worse than any Gottlieb. Ever. Alright, besides maybe Shaq Attaq.

Also, I noticed you didn't discuss the August tournament this episode? That was interesting. I would have expected to see some info on that.

Ah well. It was still a good podcast, and I can't wait to see if this format is a success.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well there's still going to be off topic discussions because, me! But keeping within a budgeted time will keep us a bit more focused, plus we'll be cycling through regular topics each week. That's why no tourney talk, it comes next week. You all will see the pattern eventually.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Our new iTunes subscription opened up! Search for "BlahCade Podcast" and subscribe to that. The previous "The Pinball BlahCade Podcast" will eventually not be updated to, same as the old ShoutEngine site won't.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
It's been a blast working with Chris on the new format.

I've personally been sorting out the tech side regarding hosting, but it turns out that Shoutengine really is the best free service out there.

Might go into that a 'little' bit next episode. See you in a week. 😀

Sticking to 30 minutes was a real challenge first time round (I had to watch the clock like a hawk), but it's going to mean that Chris and I stay on topic (even if that means a little off topic here and there).

We're in what you'd call a rapid iteration phase. We've got an idea about what we think will work, but we'll be relying on you guys to tell us when we get it right (or wrong).

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Looking forward to listening to this again.I think the shorter podcast times is a good idea.Will help you guys stay on topic more often.But yeah getting this every week I can't complain about that.
Keep up the good work boys!

karl

May 10, 2012
Love the new format. Well done, masters of Blah.

Time just flew by during this episode. Having a few monthly topics like beta one week, tournament the next, etc. is also a smart move.

One show every week keeps it much more up to date and I do not have to split the episodes into parts. I seldom have the time or patience to listen to 1,5 hours of podcast extravaganza in one go.

thumbs up, gentlemen!

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
weekly?? cool!! :) i'm all for it, but if it still gets to be too much a grind, try every two-three weeks maybe... just sayin', don't hurt yourself over it!

i know anyone making the "lights gamera action" joke must already know this segment, but for those of you who don't - check out this mst3k epi, gamera vs barugon, and forward to the 22:15 mark... :) they did it first!

catching up with TOTW, and put a good halfhour in while listening to ya'z guyz therez - i'd felt the same way over LCA, never engages me much - the most annoying thing is getting that "ready set draw" off the bat every launch, and considering how easy it is for the ball to suddenly decide to shoot out the side exits, it makes it much, much too often. not a fun play, which is too bad!

there is a gottlieb at a local laundrymat, "gladiator" (obviously not the russell crowe tie-in, more like a sci-fi/rollerball theme) that i think is pretty fun - it's not too complex, but it's a fun play. (it ain't pizza hut; more like a red baron oven pizza - might grind the roof of your mouth up a bit, but it's tasty. ;) maybe fs would consider it in their roster, if they wanna keep making gottlieb recreates... just a recommendation!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
weekly?? cool!! :) i'm all for it, but if it still gets to be too much a grind, try every two-three weeks maybe... just sayin', don't hurt yourself over it!

i know anyone making the "lights gamera action" joke must already know this segment, but for those of you who don't - check out this mst3k epi, gamera vs barugon, and forward to the 22:15 mark... :) they did it first!

catching up with TOTW, and put a good halfhour in while listening to ya'z guyz therez - i'd felt the same way over LCA, never engages me much - the most annoying thing is getting that "ready set draw" off the bat every launch, and considering how easy it is for the ball to suddenly decide to shoot out the side exits, it makes it much, much too often. not a fun play, which is too bad!

there is a gottlieb at a local laundrymat, "gladiator" (obviously not the russell crowe tie-in, more like a sci-fi/rollerball theme) that i think is pretty fun - it's not too complex, but it's a fun play. (it ain't pizza hut; more like a red baron oven pizza - might grind the roof of your mouth up a bit, but it's tasty. ;) maybe fs would consider it in their roster, if they wanna keep making gottlieb recreates... just a recommendation!

Take the challenge, brave one!

Gladiators had the strongest shaker motor I've ever experienced. Scared the crap out of me when I first played it all those years ago. It also has a certain flow to it that is quite satisfying.

The operator I worked for back in the 90's had a lot of Gottlieb titles on his books because they were a fraction of the price of a Bally/Williams.

And that Gamera joke was off the cuff with no prior knowledge.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
my iphone broke a few months ago so ive been using podcast addict. the episode didnt automatically update like it usually does, but when I did a manual search it came up.
Hmm, that's strange. I got it on the old feed through pocket casts about two hours after I uploaded it.

ITunes gets the feed details from shoutengine, so it usually aggregates under six hours.

Could be because there are two similar feeds up. We'll keep monitoring it. Let us know if you have issues next week.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
I listened too it 2 days ago and thought about posting but I've not felt like posting anything anywhere for a bit (even writing emails been suspended....) but anywho

I too saw the TNT F14 video and thought when he mentioned that the flashers where taken out that TPA would have them in as I thought the 'taking them out' was the mod not the other way around :p
Now lets hope Farsight can renegotiate the licencing and can start making mods and selling them. I think just the flasher mod should be free or at the most .49 cents considering the tables are what? 4 bucks?

Ooooh, so many mods they can sell. So much money.... or maybe not, most will prob not mod the tables?

Also like the 25-45min weekly format. Doesn't take a chunk of your day to listen too, or remember where you where if you split it into more listening sessions. And you can be more current on topics, win win.

Don't get any webcam - get season 5... See, you already saved all that money on not getting a new one soo.....

There has been some topics both here and on steam about flippers being different angles now - but couldn't that be part of Bob getting the impossible shots fixed that the last Blahcade took up? And does it really matter if they are set up exactly as twins? Only the gameplay should matter not looks (unless it is better looking textures that is, heh).

Right, gotta go to work - what a bummer.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I can't get it on iTunes or shoutengine

Did you click the links in the first post? Did you do a search in the iTunes store for "BlahCade Podcast"? Because all seem to work that way now and when I checked after first posting.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Did you click the links in the first post? Did you do a search in the iTunes store for "BlahCade Podcast"? Because all seem to work that way now and when I checked after first posting.

Yes, to both. Subscribed to the new year link. I'll try again later today.

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
Gladiators had the strongest shaker motor I've ever experienced. Scared the crap out of me when I first played it all those years ago. It also has a certain flow to it that is quite satisfying.

i didn't know there was a shaker in that one; the one here at the 'mat must have that disabled/removed. bummer, it'd be fun to see how that feels in a real machine! (or maybe i've never gotten far enough on it to activate it; i haven't gotten too much practice on it yet)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.