A new app on the way from Stern and Farsight

karl

May 10, 2012
On the new logo there is a picture of Metallica in the background. Coincidence?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It's on the Stern Pinball Facebook page. Probably elsewhere too. But yep, it's official :D

Some things:
1. It's a new App. This means they can do SAM/SPIKE emulation on those [mobile] platforms that can support it, and drop support for platforms that don't, without annoying the core TPA fanbase. Yes those with older devices will be left out, but that's the way of the mobile market.
2. Nothing mentioned about consoles/PC? That doesn't surprise me, to be honest - especially PC. I don't expect to see this on PC, ever, because Stern will not want anyone putting the "official" digitized versions of their tables into a virtual cab.
3. Licensing... obviously Stern are going to bake a digital clause into future licenses, and may be able to retroactively get one sorted out for past licenses too (or maybe they were thinking ahead of time and had them in place?). Means FS don't need to worry about licensing.
4. Cost - what would you be willing to pay per table?

Dante72

May 28, 2015
Oh I bet it will be on PC. Stern sells a limited amount of tables as it is. Collectors want the real thing. Virtual cabs are such a small % of the market I doubt they're worried. If anything the digital versions may drive additional sale for Stern.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
This has been talked about for a while now, even by Gary. Looking forward, though it will be interesting how it affects the regular TPA releases.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
One thing's for sure, more of my hard-earned $$$ is going to be going the way of Farsight.

How's this going to jive with TPA development, though? FS are stretched pretty thin as things stand, add in knocking out a digital Stern table every 3-6 months on top of (maybe) doing recent-past Stern tables, on top of the continuing TPA table each month... eek. Okay, now I think I know why cab support was knocked on the head, they need the personnel (Mike in particular) to be available for this.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Like Zaccaria Pinball, if it isn't released on a console, I don't care.

it doesnt care about you how you like dem apples!

lol anyway, ill just sit on the fence by for now this isnt bad news but i dont think itll be smooth, nor tuned to newer mobile devices

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I wonder if this means Stern will start protecting its property from being reproduced via VP and FP?

Will they come out before the actual pin, or after? Will they wait for finished code?

How much will they cost?

The month that a Stern pin is released, will there still be a TPA release that month?

So many questions.

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I now dub thee future offspring of said congregation... SternSight tables. So it is said, so it shall be done.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts