Played my first "core pack" table IRL.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Finally got to try the IRL version of Ripley's. As good as TPA is, it can't come close to matching the experience of the real deal, though I did notice that my skills on real pinball have increased significantly since playing TPA and VP. I also managed to find another place that had my favorite core pack machine - Theatre of Magic, but sadly, it was broken.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
ToM's trunk is always getting broken...although when you consider how much abuse it takes during the course of the game, it's not hard to see why. It's too bad you didn't get to play it, though, it's a great table to play live.

And no, TPA will never match the real machines - no simulation will ever be able to capture that elusive physical element - but I think FarSight's come pretty damn close...and TPA's a lot less expensive and more practical than starting a private collection.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Also, the trunk never breaks in TPA. Balls fly out of the table, yes. Broken trunk, no.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Also, the trunk never breaks in TPA. Balls fly out of the table, yes. Broken trunk, no.

I've played TPA a lot, and never had the ball fly off the table. Never even had it get airborne. Same can't be said for PHOF, where pinballs flying off the table was a regular occurrence.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I've played TPA a lot, and never had the ball fly off the table. Never even had it get airborne. Same can't be said for PHOF, where pinballs flying off the table was a regular occurrence.

I've watched it launch off the ringmaster's head and out of the machine once. It then rolled along the floor seam on the right. I've also launched the cannonball out of the backboard... twice. Also quite amusing. Also, it'll go airborne if you give the ball a full powered launch in BH. Watch the ball closely when it reaches the top.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I've watched it launch off the ringmaster's head and out of the machine once. It then rolled along the floor seam on the right. I've also launched the cannonball out of the backboard... twice. Also quite amusing. Also, it'll go airborne if you give the ball a full powered launch in BH. Watch the ball closely when it reaches the top.

Ah, I'm looking forward to it, if I ever get a chance to play this.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
TPA is easily the best digital pin I've ever played, and it is radically more like real pinball than any other digital pin game released for consoles (not a mobile or VPin player), BUT it does fall well short of real pinball... but what doesn't? TPA tables do play like the real ones they are emulating, you just can't defeat the interface difference between controller+console+TV and 250lbs of pinball machine. The one thing about TPA though is, all the tables are (other than bug issues) in proper working order 100% of the time, unlike the Monster Bash I played on location today that had 2 non-functioning bumpers, Frankie and Drac out of order, and about 1/2 the bulbs in the machine burned out. Bizarrely, the flippers were spot on.

Oh, and if you want to improve your skills, I recommend watching the videos on the PAPA Vimeo feed.
http://vimeo.com/user4577902/videos
Great stuff there, though every play is by someone insanely good, so expect to be humbled.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts