If FS is after authenticity, why the rule changes?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
FS says they're committed to making the tables as exact as possible, so why do they change the rules? Besides the BH fiasco, even their emulated tables have rule differences. Most common is awarding extra balls instead of replays. It even changes the text on screen to reflect this variation in rules. How can an emulated table be doing that? Are there operator menu settings, or home roms, that permit that change?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
FS says they're committed to making the tables as exact as possible, so why do they change the rules? Besides the BH fiasco, even their emulated tables have rule differences. Most common is awarding extra balls instead of replays. It even changes the text on screen to reflect this variation in rules. How can an emulated table be doing that? Are there operator menu settings, or home roms, that permit that change?

There are indeed menu settings that allow you to award extra balls instead of replays and vice versa. As for BH and Gorgar, unfortunately these tables' rules will never be 100% accurate as long as they're scripted and not emulated. The good news is, FarSight has stated that they hope to fully emulate these older tables as soon as they get the emulation of those ROMs working correctly.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
They aren't just making these tables for pinball geeks. They need to sell to the masses. I think the hard core players will really enjoy the tournaments once FS implements them.

David Smith

Feb 28, 2012
As for BH and Gorgar, unfortunately these tables' rules will never be 100% accurate as long as they're scripted and not emulated. The good news is, FarSight has stated that they hope to fully emulate these older tables as soon as they get the emulation of those ROMs working correctly.

I don't think either of those tables HAVE ROMs, which is why they can only be scripted and not emulated.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Richard, a table set to "free play" doesn't award a replay because the table is already "free," so it awards an extra ball.

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
Richard, a table set to "free play" doesn't award a replay because the table is already "free," so it awards an extra ball.

Exactly. In the arcade an extra credit is the greatest reward you can get. On a home system, it is meaningless. A free ball is given, so you at least get something.

I can't even stand waiting for the free game bingo to pop after each game. What is the point? I usually just quit the table entirely and go back in from the beginning.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Exactly. In the arcade an extra credit is the greatest reward you can get. On a home system, it is meaningless. A free ball is given, so you at least get something.

I can't even stand waiting for the free game bingo to pop after each game. What is the point? I usually just quit the table entirely and go back in from the beginning.

I like it, and I'm glad they left it in.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
I am growing a hate-love relation with that ''bingo'' animation. After a great game, i can use a pause, but when all my balls drain faster then Carl Lewis on a good day i hate it when i have to wait to go for another game.

Ah, well, its there. Maybe put an option in to in- and exclude it.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I like that they left the match in the game, except I believe pressing both flippers on a real machine will exit the match game (I recall exiting it on a real machine and being upset). We don't have that option here.

I think it's funny that no one has complained about the ball-saver on Monster Bash - tables have that turned off by default, but it's on in this version.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I think it's funny that no one has complained about the ball-saver on Monster Bash - tables have that turned off by default, but it's on in this version.
Actually, I have commented on it, but I like that it's on, and I think it's a poor decision by the factory to have it off by default.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Actually, I have commented on it, but I like that it's on, and I think it's a poor decision by the factory to have it off by default.

I like ball savers, and the lack of them is an unfortunate trend. Fast games does not mean more profit for operators, it means pissed off players who are not going to play it again.For instance, I haven't replayed Pin*Bot since I had a disastrous game in which ball and flipper never met. Stern tables have completely done away with this feature - it's not even an option on the operator's menu. The only time you get a retry is if the ball drains without scoring a single point.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I like that they left the match in the game, except I believe pressing both flippers on a real machine will exit the match game (I recall exiting it on a real machine and being upset). We don't have that option here.

Free Play is also not factory default.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Stern tables have completely done away with this feature - it's not even an option on the operator's menu. The only time you get a retry is if the ball drains without scoring a single point.
Not entirely true. Iron Man has a short ball saver, and AC/DC has a fairly lengthy one.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Not entirely true. Iron Man has a short ball saver, and AC/DC has a fairly lengthy one.

Good to hear. I tried turning it on in SPP in VP, and there was no option. The AC/DC I played didn't have one, but it could have just been turned off in the operator's menu.

Mudfinger

Jun 6, 2012
Not many people know that on most real late model machines you can bypass the match by hitting the start button to begin the next game.(as long as there are credits ) Nobody does this because, of course they want to wait and see if they won a free game.:p

All of this stuff should be in the options menu I should think. Maybe when FS gets done debugging games as well as trying to juggle all the DLCs for all the different platform, they might adress this. If they are emulating the ROM they technically can provide access to the operators menu as Visual Pinmame games do.

David Smith

Feb 28, 2012
It would be nice if the game tracked lifetime replay awards (getting the replay score and end-of-game matches). Would be an achievable leader board for the less-skilled (but more determined) players, and perhaps there could be awards for total replays. Unlock a special ball at 200 replays for example.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Not many people know that on most real late model machines you can bypass the match by hitting the start button to begin the next game.(as long as there are credits ) Nobody does this because, of course they want to wait and see if they won a free game.:p

Lots of machines allow this, not just late model.

Jul 2, 2012
It would be nice if the game tracked lifetime replay awards (getting the replay score and end-of-game matches). Would be an achievable leader board for the less-skilled (but more determined) players, and perhaps there could be awards for total replays. Unlock a special ball at 200 replays for example.

Real machines do keep track of these things, I just happened to go through the bookkeeping menu of my Road Show today and they were right there. Shouldn't be that difficult to utilize that data in TPA, though I'm not sure if TPA actually preserves the flash RAM content where it is saved.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.