Table of the Week Club...Week 38: VICTORY

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Welcome to Week 38 of TotW. If any of you got pregnant when this started, you'd have a baby due right now! Anyway, this week's table is Victory. Go collect some checkpoints. Then collect some more. Still not enough, get more! This reminds me, can we please get Indy 500 into TPA?

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Welcome to Week 38 of TotW. If any of you got pregnant when this started, you'd have a baby due right now! Anyway, this week's table is Victory. Go collect some checkpoints. Then collect some more. Still not enough, get more! This reminds me, can we please get Indy 500 into TPA?

Sadly, No Fear is first.

Indy 500 would be a great one for sure.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Coincidentally, Victory will be the free game of the month next month, so if you don't own it you don't have to buy it but you can still play it. The free game of the month is only on PC, android and ios (I think).

Stuzz

Sep 22, 2015
I haven't found the fun in this table before. With any luck it will reveal itself after a week of playing it. I appreciate Gorgar for what it is more so now than before it's week in the spotlight, and I'll give Victory it's chance to shine.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
It's been in a couple of tournaments, and basically, the key to scoring big is to keep completing the F-I-N-I-S-H targets until 8x scoring is ready.

Note that the multiplier doesn't affect the checkpoint bonuses (but they score very nicely anyway!), but everything else on the table scores 8x, but only when the multiplier lights are flashing, which I think only happens after (a) completing F-I-N-I-S-H or (b) completing a checkpoint.

Stuzz

Sep 22, 2015
Thanks for the tips Eldar. It seems I hadn't read the instructions for this table before (which explains the non-funness I'd experienced with it). Turns out there's really not much to it, but what's there works well. However, I'd appreciate if the voice over folks were a little more excited.

One thing in curious about though is what to do about the extra ball awarded in the eject hole. When it's awarded, the ball currently in play is locked and another is thrown in the plunge lane. The locked ball is then released once the new ball drains.

So, does this make for a special case on this table, or should the new plunger lane ball simply be plunged?

Stuzz

Sep 22, 2015
Seems I can't edit my post on tapatalk :(. Slight correction in the FINISH multiplier... According to the instructions the only targets on the table whose score is multiplied is the FINISH targets themselves, and only when the multiplier value is flashing, which occurs when the value for the current checkpoint is counting down.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Seems I can't edit my post on tapatalk :(. Slight correction in the FINISH multiplier... According to the instructions the only targets on the table whose score is multiplied is the FINISH targets themselves, and only when the multiplier value is flashing, which occurs when the value for the current checkpoint is counting down.

No, it multiplies the spinners, ramps, FUEL score and eb/lock hole score as well. Only while the checkpoint countdown is running, but when it does you'll get loads of points from those sources. Especially slamming the left spinner over and over is very lucrative. The locked ball that gets released on drain can be played in the torney I assume, as it's not a real extra ball. Once that drains though the real extra ball should be plunged to immediately drain.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
No, it multiplies the spinners, ramps, FUEL score and eb/lock hole score as well. Only while the checkpoint countdown is running, but when it does you'll get loads of points from those sources. Especially slamming the left spinner over and over is very lucrative. The locked ball that gets released on drain can be played in the torney I assume, as it's not a real extra ball. Once that drains though the real extra ball should be plunged to immediately drain.

As I've yet to get the extra ball, I'll have to see if it's a plunge situation or not. If it's not obvious what's going on, we may just play it.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
As I've yet to get the extra ball, I'll have to see if it's a plunge situation or not. If it's not obvious what's going on, we may just play it.

When EB is lit at the Checkpoint 1 hole, two things happen when you collect it:
1. The ball is locked in the Checkpoint 1 hole, and a second ball is fed to the plunger.
2. You're awarded an EB and the 'Shoot Again' light (or whatever it's labeled) lights up/starts flashing.

Now, when the ball you're playing drains, the ball in the Checkpoint 1 hole is released, and the current ball continues. You still get to 'Shoot Again' after draining, collecting bonus, etc.

It's exactly the same as 'Second/Final/Last/Whatever Chance' on BK / BK2K, now I think about it.

Stuzz

Sep 22, 2015
No, it multiplies the spinners, ramps, FUEL score and eb/lock hole score as well.

Ahh, good to know. I did get my best score with the 8x lit but wasn't taking much notice of the scores I was getting during play. Instructions are no substitute for real/virtual pinball experience.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
My strategy:

- Get a really high scoring multiplier
- Collect the extra ball at the left saucer
- Play until your ball drains
- Shoot the ball to the left saucer all day for tons of points.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Is it just me, or is the tilt on this table exceedingly sensitive? Playing on PC, over half the time I nudge, it winds up being a tilt. I'm not nudging any differently than I do with every other table either. Although I will say, I have the same issue with Big Shot. Anyway, bugs the crap out of me as now I'm afraid of nudging and keep watching the ball go sdtm.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'll admit it...this is probably the 'most fun' of the Gottliebs we have. I say that dancing on the razor's edge, as it's the layout I like, not the gameplay. I really loathe countdown timers, and apart from the FINISH targets, everything is ultimately a countdown. Still, this really is the epitome of "I'll just play one more" for me.

In the land of wizard goals, I've got 2 left. I've come tantalizingly close to the 30 million goal, but keep missing it. The FUEL special is the one that's killing me. 7 seconds to knock 'em all down? It takes 3 just to get the ball to eject if it goes down the little ramp! Had a game where I must have had half a dozen attempts on it, and never came close to beating the timer. Grrrr.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
In regards to EB come TotM time:

If you collect the ball in the saucer and then get the ball to plunge, that you will be able to play. I totally agree that it is just a 'ball save' that goes on for a very long time! Within the game itself, if you lose your ball, the ball ejects off the saucer. Though this is technically a new ball, all of your progress on the table stays as opposed to when a true new ball starts. That to me says it's the same ball then. It's the EB you get after that one drains that we will just plunge away.

If you got the extra ball by shooting the right lane on the mini playfield, you will just plunge it away. So don't shoot that lane!!

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I had a really good 60M game on my tablet yesterday, which would've ticked off all of the Wizard Goals except the FUEL targets (which is easily the most annoying one).

Of course, that was the game where I cleared the last Standard Goal, so none of it counted. Grr.

I need to go back to playing TotWs on my tablet (where I own them); it allows me to go chasing the goals again, mostly.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Suck it, Victory. Finally got that stupid FUEL goal, and same game got the 30+ million score.

Same conclusion though: good, interesting layout with balanced flipper shots, but a terrible 'game' unless you enjoy countdown timers.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
No one's noticing the music during gameplay? That's got to be one of the catchiest 8-bit style music in all of pinball.

Aside from TX-Sector.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
The game is very rollable.

1) get extra ball from eject hole
2) max the multiplier
3) hit a checkpoint
4) keep pounding the left spinner while the countdown is going
5) shoot a checkpoint after the countdown runs out to restart the timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online