Table of the Week Club...Week 41: XENON

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Nothing like enjoying the pleasures of pinball and a table that seems to pleasure itself, Xenon! I think we can all agree that this is one of those tables where the art and sound make it, while the gameplay is just sorta average. And no, squinting real hard will not turn it into Paragon. Remember, this TotW is not part of the tourney this Saturday, but next month's.

Speaking of TotM, registration opens on Wednesday. So while sitting in those Black Friday lines, feel free to sign up and practice some tables! I do believe we're going to be giving away another custom shooter rod from www.Wizardamusement.com, so you'll want to play for sure to have a chance in our random drawing. See you all Saturday!

invitro

May 4, 2012
I think we can all agree that this is one of those tables where the art and sound make it, while the gameplay is just sorta average.
Well, sort of. My opinion: the art is nothing special; there are several tables from 1979-1981 with actually special art. The sound is terrific of course. I actually think that the gameplay is terrific... with the gigantic caveat that each multiball run is exactly like every other one (after the tube is maxed). Maybe this is standard for the era, but I much prefer (say) Gorgar, which has enough going on that it's not quite so repetitive. It needs one more feature to keep good players interested. But I do think that the first couple of multiball runs are outstanding fun.

Also: Farsight did one helluva a job on Xenon, unless they made it a bit too easy.

(I agree with you guys that Farsight cheesed Paragon, but I don't think Xenon is too bad of a substitute... given that I haven't actually played Paragon. :) I really hope that Paragon eventually makes it but I'm starting to worry.)

P.S. I know why you folks think Xenon is a bit NSFW but I don't think I agree... it's just a woman sighing. :) I think "Good head, my favorite" is much more raunchy.

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Answering the question... can I play pinball with only one hand? No.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I actually specialized in one-hand pinball back in the 1990's and won a mini-tournament or two. It was my favorite type of novelty play by far. I could regularly get replays on Addams Family one-handed. I practiced it a lot, playing one-handed to finish off the credits when I was done playing a machine. It often drew some watchers. I'm suited for it as my right hand & arm are extremely coordinated but my left hand is almost vestigial. I'm a bit sad that TPA has no way at all to do real one-hand games, unless with an accurate cabinet I suppose.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Cayle George himself (one of the top real pinball players in the world) has said that he often practices with one hand. This forces you to employ a lot of technique to offset the loss of one flipper. A lot of nudging and deadpassing.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
I see...
Now as far as Xenon goes I wont be practicing this table but in tournament I will just punish that tubeshot for the bonus it gives.
Wish Paragon won but don't mind having Xenon in TPA at all, it is after all a classic - the sound carries the table I hazard to guess...

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
There's a bug in Xenon with regard to how it registers rollover scores. It's happened to me twice now.

The first time I got a score near to 10M, then had a bad game (150K) immediately afterward. Except that 150K game got registered in-game and on the leaderboards as 10,150,000! Didn't really bother me at the time, since I had almost got that score anyway, and I did go on to beat it with a legitimate 10.4M game.

Then yesterday, I got one score of nearly 10M, then immediately followed it up with a 12M game - except that was registered as 22M!

So, I would suggest for the tournament, to quit and re-start the table between games otherwise you might fall foul of this bug.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
It needs one more feature to keep good players interested.

The real machine has that. The specials. That's what good players are supposed be interested in. There's three separate tracks to earn specials: X awards (the top saucer) during multiball, the tube value, and the drop target bank. We ignore those in TPA, but there's plenty to do on the machine when credits are real and significant.

Stuzz

Sep 22, 2015
Well that's unfortunate - this table isn't available on 360. Put me down for a 0 please :(

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
Nothing like enjoying the pleasures of pinball and a table that seems to pleasure itself, Xenon! I think we can all agree that this is one of those tables where the art and sound make it, while the gameplay is just sorta average. And no, squinting real hard will not turn it into Paragon. Remember, this TotW is not part of the tourney this Saturday, but next month's.

Speaking of TotM, registration opens on Wednesday. So while sitting in those Black Friday lines, feel free to sign up and practice some tables! I do believe we're going to be giving away another custom shooter rod from www.Wizardamusement.com, so you'll want to play for sure to have a chance in our random drawing. See you all Saturday!

We need the TotM link......

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Hey! We are closing in on the May tournament, and Xenon is one of the tables! Post your thoughts and strategies.

Xenon came the same year as Zaccaria released Star God, Fire Mountain & Space Shuttle. Gameplay on Xenon can be broken down similarly to House of Daimonds & Clown. HoD shoot the spinner with the left flipper right flipper shoot the Joker nudge for the hole on both. Clown shoot the spinner with the left flipper right flipper shoot the bouns X lane. Sign up to be eligible to win the Zaccaria Pinball on PC code!

So it seems best to shoot the tube from the left flipper and nudge to save when it ejects, and shoot the spinner with the right flipper and nudge to get rollovers before going in the hole. Anything I missed?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts