May 24, 2013
[EDIT]

Just thought to update the first post with the latest links :

Full installer including VPinMame :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5GQag5iS_vzcHAtNS00SFlOc2s

Screenshot

screenshot1.jpg

Hi Everyone

I have been building something awesome ..

So my previous pinball creation got shelved and in between that the Unity engine had a major upgrade. So I needed to learn all the new things of the engine and decided to do a recreation instead of an original so I had something of real reference to work towards while updating my knowledge of Unity 5x.

May I present Elvis Pinball. It's still a work in progress but im quite deep into getting it finished. I work on it in my spare time which I have less of these days so I cant put a date on completion.

Please watch the video in HD full screen since I took the effort to upload a 1.34gb video to youtube ;) ( and i have slow internet haha )

Last edited:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Holy s**t!

That's awesome. And the ball physics seems pretty good too.

And that's what I call a true freecam! Take note FS. :p

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
That is awesome! - one of favourite tables. I was only able to watch without sound so will listen to it properly later. Physics look very good and amazing lighting. :)

Crepello55012

Jan 21, 2015
That is amazing, it's loads better than what TPA do. They are ****e compared with you.
Elvis was the first table I played in real life after I bought my PS3 and got into TPA. Played it at the big arcade on Scarborough sea front.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Awesome.
You know of the unit3d pinball project? If not Google it.
Yours may look even better :)
But they support vpinmame and everything.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Unity is such a powerful engine and runs on many platforms... Still wondering why fs wouldn't use it...

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
Thanks Gents ;)
[MENTION=4070]mpad[/MENTION] I do know about unit3d , I have it installed on my machine, its very cool that in supports pinmame. The only problem i have to unit3d is that it imports future pinball tables. Future pinball's engine is extremely dated , no material support for normal mapping , AO mapping , detail mapping , emission materials. They are not engineered with PBR and global illumination rendering taken into account either.. and there is some or other restriction on poly count on importing models as well so all these FP to Unity assets are not using Unity to its full potential.

I just had a guy give me a head up on knowing about the source on pinmame so I asked him to tell me more about it. It would be excellent if I could get this emulation plugged into the build but it was not actually on my development road map. If I could get enough info on it and its something that could lighten work load and increase accuracy overalll I will definitely consider investing some time into it ;)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Heck of a calling card for you to use! Hope it get you business. I really like the glass reflection by the way.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Thanks Gents ;)
[MENTION=4070]mpad[/MENTION] I do know about unit3d , I have it installed on my machine, its very cool that in supports pinmame. The only problem i have to unit3d is that it imports future pinball tables. Future pinball's engine is extremely dated , no material support for normal mapping , AO mapping , detail mapping , emission materials. They are not engineered with PBR and global illumination rendering taken into account either.. and there is some or other restriction on poly count on importing models as well so all these FP to Unity assets are not using Unity to its full potential.

I just had a guy give me a head up on knowing about the source on pinmame so I asked him to tell me more about it. It would be excellent if I could get this emulation plugged into the build but it was not actually on my development road map. If I could get enough info on it and its something that could lighten work load and increase accuracy overalll I will definitely consider investing some time into it ;)

Uh, very nice prospects. Would be cool if this works out .

I knew they import fp tables but I thought it was only the 3d models and that otherwise they do everything from scratch and use the full potential of unity. Interesting.
But I love their flexibility with the camera setup and (of course) cab support. Every pinball app should do it like this.

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
Uh, very nice prospects. Would be cool if this works out .

I knew they import fp tables but I thought it was only the 3d models and that otherwise they do everything from scratch and use the full potential of unity. Interesting.
But I love their flexibility with the camera setup and (of course) cab support. Every pinball app should do it like this.

Well I cant say for sure what they do or do not do from scratch , but models use materials that use textures (sometimes) and so unless they are creating these additional textures for the models after import from FP .. they would not have them.

I fully agree that their camera config is awesome and that all digital pinball should expose cabinet support. I dont have a cabinet .. but I wish I had one ;)

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
[MENTION=2638]shaderbytes[/MENTION] - I listened to the video with Audio finally , and have a few questions :).

1. I guess you are building the table directly in Unity? Or have you built a framework or editor where you can import objects for a table and script it separately from the Unity code?

2. The lighting looks very impressive - The darkest setting is still quite light though - I guess that can be changed to provide a really dark mod with all room lights out. I notice that when you turn the lights down, in the reflection of the glass you can see the ceiling light so it would be interesting to see how it looks with that turned way down or even off.

3. There are some great original tables out there built by the community. If you successfully complete the project it might be worth approaching some of the authors of the classic originals and offer them a deal to sell ultra modern versions of their tables built with your program. I would certainly pay for these.

4. I guess you can build the game for multiple platforms including mobile and PC?

5. The FPS looks like it's around 200fps - what type of graphics card and CPU do you have?

Good luck with the rest of the build - seeing what you have already certainly showcases an impressive skill set.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
As a somewhat veteran of VP (mostly playing, some building/tinkering) I have an inkling what goes into making this from scratch. That's very impressive! Congratulations!

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
[MENTION=2638]shaderbytes[/MENTION] Can you build Mousin' Around for me please ?
For next week ? Thanks.

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
[MENTION=2638]shaderbytes[/MENTION] - I listened to the video with Audio finally , and have a few questions :).

1. I guess you are building the table directly in Unity? Or have you built a framework or editor where you can import objects for a table and script it separately from the Unity code?

2. The lighting looks very impressive - The darkest setting is still quite light though - I guess that can be changed to provide a really dark mod with all room lights out. I notice that when you turn the lights down, in the reflection of the glass you can see the ceiling light so it would be interesting to see how it looks with that turned way down or even off.

3. There are some great original tables out there built by the community. If you successfully complete the project it might be worth approaching some of the authors of the classic originals and offer them a deal to sell ultra modern versions of their tables built with your program. I would certainly pay for these.

4. I guess you can build the game for multiple platforms including mobile and PC?

5. The FPS looks like it's around 200fps - what type of graphics card and CPU do you have?

Good luck with the rest of the build - seeing what you have already certainly showcases an impressive skill set.

Hi SilverBalls , here are answers to your questions

1. I do my modeling in Blender,Unity is a game Development IDE, So its a framework for making any type of game. You can even script the IDE itself and extend its features. In Unity I can import the entire table with all parts separated and grouped as needed. I can also replace these parts individually as I go along if needed. The scripting is done in Unity, I do write all my own code. Unity supports 3 different scripting languages , I use the most common one which is C#.

2. The Lighting is using an HDR environment for IBL (image based lighting ) which provides GI ambiance and intensity. I then have one directional light as well. So in the video im only adjusting the directional light. I could turn it completely off/extend its range down to zero , but the lighting from the environment would still be there then. I would have to create two sliders to control these individually .

3. Which classic originals did you have in mind?

4. Unity can cross compile to many platforms, practically all of them! Although some like consoles require securing additional development licences.

5. This game is engineered for PC at the moment , I have a i7 4790 , gtx 970 OC edition , 16GB ram. In its current state it would not be able to run on mobile or even an older PC that uses on board chipsets. I've personally lost interest in building for mobile at the moment so any original I do after this will be built for PC first. But that can be ported to mobile afterward with some tweaking if I felt it worth my time.

Thanks, I have been doing digital media development for 10 years already, I have worked professionally in agencies as a programmer before but currently I freelance and for this year gone by I have basically only been building 3D models for sketchfab, if you go to their brands page :

https://sketchfab.com/models/brands

I did the Viewmaster , Gillette fusion , Samsung Gear VR , Playstation VR , Tesla Model X , MSI GT72 , ILY , IPhone 6s , Bose soundlink , Adidas Messi , Steam HTC VR , Oculus Rift , Microsoft Hololens and many others.

On my personal page I have a few diorama's I did based on old games :

https://sketchfab.com/shaderbytes

check out the earthworm jim , Aladdin , booger man and gorilla tank ;)

Last edited:

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
[MENTION=2638]shaderbytes[/MENTION] Can you build Mousin' Around for me please ?
For next week ? Thanks.

Now you are just Mousin' Around with me ;) hehe I have actually never seen that table before you posted this and I went to google it. It looks like an older styled table like from the 60's or 70's?

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Many thanks shaderbytes for the answers - interesting stuff.

tbh - I also don't play Pinball on mobile devices anymore - only on a PC virtual cab.

For originals some I can remember at the moment include these:

* BlindmanKind did 3 great tables under Future Pinball, in particular 3 Angels which I think would be first choice. FP physics obviously let a great table down.
http://www.blindmankind.tecnopinball.org

* Roney Pinball did some excellent originals in Future Pinball. The FP physics aren't great so to be able to play some of these with better physics would be great.
Some of my favourites that he did are unfortunately based on licenced themes such as War of the Worlds, Jetsons, etc. however he did many others.

A good place to look is on PinSimDB, under Tables choose Advanced Search, and then put 'Roney' for Author.

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/index-10-future_pinball?searchTitle=RONEY

* VP excellent originals include:
Rapid Vienna
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=6776#entry50402

Pirates: Wolves of the Sea
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=6260

There are many others which I am sure other people will recommend.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.