Is there a comprehensive list of pinball "firsts"?

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anybody knows of a list of pinball "firsts" in a chronologic order? Things like "first multiball" and "first lane changing feature" are pretty easy (both Firepower... right?), but there are a ton of other things that really make me wonder when they got introduced.

Was Space Shuttle really the first game with ramps? And what was the first game with a status report when you trap a ball long enough? First table with a ball saver? First table with a spinner? First machine with a habitrail that send the ball from a ramp to one of the inlanes?

One thing I absolutely love about pinball is the more I play it, the more I start wondering about the history about these things, where certain design quirks come from. For instance, at first it took me ages to notice that there are actually bonus lanes on ToM and MM (both rather hidden behind ramps), and in retrospect I find it funny how MM only has two lanes plus lane changing, which makes it a whole different affair than on Gorgar with 3 lanes and no lane changing.

I find it particularly interesting to go on ipdb and look at these absolutely weird tables from the 60s and 70s, tables with two sets of flippers next to each other (Time 2000), tables with just a ton of flippers and drop targets (Goin Nuts), or even a table that breaks with the most basic of all pinball conventions - having a plane playfield surface: Orbitor

It´s interesting to see what survived the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks"-phase. It´s so easy to take many design conventions on modern machines for granted, and much like in the world of videogames or technology it´s stunning to go back and see how the "natural selection" of design has shaped what we ended up with today.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
The list isn't that comprehensive. It's missing this. It's not a bad list, though.

...aha, I see, the sequence of purchases was Stern->Data East->Sega->Gary Stern.

Stern Electronics also had the rights to Chicago Coin. However, the 70s-early 80s Stern Electronics was a different company from Data East/Sega/Gary Stern, though the current Stern has the rights to Stern Electronics games. I think I read this on ipdb, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Stormchild

Jun 24, 2012
Stern Electronics also had the rights to Chicago Coin. However, the 70s-early 80s Stern Electronics was a different company from Data East/Sega/Gary Stern, though the current Stern has the rights to Stern Electronics games. I think I read this on ipdb, if I remember correctly.

Also, Sam Stern (Gary's father) was president and half-owner of Williams in the 1950s.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts