iOS - Bug Low Frame Rate on iPad 1

Donald

Mar 1, 2012
Wow, why didn't you let people know that this table had framerate issues on certain devices? That's beyond F'd up.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
This is a known issue. Farsight is working on this issue and already made an update to lock the framerate for older Android platforms. They mentioned an iOS update is coming soon. Farsight, I'm ok with lower quality samples on older devices if it gets the game running smooth.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Here's a bit of info that Farsight posted on their FB page: "The Whitestar chipset that the original Ripley's table ran on requires about twice as many cycles per frame to emulate as the WPC chipset used by the other tables."

That's why it doesn't run as smoothly on older devices. It runs perfect on the iPad 2, however.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Runs smooth here too...it's just a pain to optimize any game when so many devices are involved. Sorry Ryan, but I wouldn't want your job.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I'm aware that the game runs fine on iPhone 4S and iPad 2. I mentioned the lower quality sound samples becuase I'm aware the Whitestar chipset is demanding. I heard lower quality sound samples are used as a workaround for Visual Pinball recreations of Stern tables.

I would definitely like to own an iPad 2 (or 3) or 4S, but 4S is tied to phone services I don't use (I'm aware of unlocked ones, but those are more expensive) and iPad 2 is still very expensive. I really want an iPod Touch that is more up to par with 4S, but the current one has similar specs to iPad and there is a lot of talk about how it may not get an upgrade any time soon.

The problem on iPhone 4 and iPad isn't simply that Ripley's doesn't run smooth. The problem is the framerate is unstable to the point of affecting the physics, making the table unplayable. But, as I said before, Farsight mentioned that the problem is being worked on and the framerate has already been locked for older Android devices. It was mentioned that the update is coming soon, as well.

Last edited:

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I just got an email saying the update on Ripley's will be another month or two for iPad 1 and iPhone 4. Now I wish I could trade in the iOS version for the Xbox 360 version.

Storm Chaser

Apr 18, 2012
I agree, this bug makes the table unplayable. At first I thought the game had the "Addams magnetic feature" before realizing this was just a bug. I can't understand how they can release a table with such a major bug!

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Between the last post and yours we got more info: it's not a bug, the Ipad1 is simply too slow for Ripleys at the moment, which is very CPU heavy. I noticed when playing the demo immediately so I didn't buy it. My advice to try before you buy from now on with DLC releases.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
My last post is from before the frame rate to Ripley's was updated. The framerate isn't perfect, but the game is far more stable now compared to how it was before and I find it to play very well now.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Runs crap on my Ipad1, but as it's the only table that doesn't run good sofar I don't worry too much. I worry about CV though ^^

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Runs crap on my Ipad1, but as it's the only table that doesn't run good sofar I don't worry too much. I worry about CV though ^^

Latest iOS update and everything closed? Before the update right before the MM and BoP update it would get extremely jerky to the point of unplayability at time and now there's only a slight jerkyness at times with a much more stable framerate, making it much more playable than before. Not perfect, but I disagree that it doesn't run good. However, it does seem slightly more jerky after the BoP and MM update than the update before it, but I'm not sure on this.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
yup, latest ios and all closed. Mind you I didnt buy the table so
maybe the demoveraion isnt completely optimized.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.