Bug STILL very poor audio quality on the PS4 version after almost 2.5 years

joeblow

Feb 26, 2013
Pinball Arcade on the PS4 launched on December 2013 with the bizarre problem of awful mobile phone digital sound FX polluting the game experience. It took Farsight eight months to release a patch to fix that issue on the newly released console, which didn't even exist on the older-gen console releases (PS3/X360).

But as the thread link later show, that patch infamously introduced scratching/distortion/popping audio glitches across many tables. Who knows if because of incompetence, laziness, or just callous indifference, but amazingly it has been an additional year and nine months and the problem still has not been fixed! We've gotten vague 'we're looking into it' and 'send us examples' comments from FS, but here we are with nothing done.

Now sure, plenty of companies have left problems unresolved in their games that get older, but FS is still trying to squeeze DLC money out of us (well, some out of you since they've been getting no more of my $$$) with the PS4 is getting four additional tables soon as well as a UI update. The release is clearly still in on-going development, so that excuse doesn't fly.

I've recently seen more FS employee activity on this sub-forum addressing other issues... so what's the real situation with the PS4 audio nonsense that has been broken in one way or another since the game launched? No more vague BS, please. Is it ever going to be finally fixed (withOUT introducing new glitches), and if so, when?

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I wish there was an actual answer to this. I only just got a PS4 this past week, so I'll check it out with the free table to see if I hear anything. The reason FarSight keeps asking for 'examples' is because at one time at least (I don't know about recently) they simply weren't hearing the problem. They don't have a home theater setup in the offices, so the speakers they might listen to it through may not make the problem obvious. Someone recording actual issues and compiling them into a supercut, that would really pound the issue home.

The other thing is it very well may be in this next release. FarSight only does these patches when they do a table dump, as it costs them big bucks each time they submit to Sony. This is what makes the updates so infrequent as opposed to when they release on Steam.

Rudy hates me

Jan 13, 2014
Well since we're pointing out audio buds, don't forget the problems with the break in audio when it loops (again, since the patch). It happens in game, but the easiest place to catch it is in the table menu, particularly when the tables have a short audio sample looping (Black Rose for example).

Also, I haven't checked in a while, but is the music still cutting out in Whirlwind and Victory?

And finally, there's still the problem in Starship Troopers where if you launch the first ball before the 'new battle plan' speech is over, the music gets stuck in an annoying 2 second loop for the rest of the game.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
The music for Greed mode stops playing every time the mode is activated in Twilight Zone. No recording necessary. Just activate the Greed mode window and there is no music (but still sound effects) every time.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Well since we're pointing out audio buds, don't forget the problems with the break in audio when it loops (again, since the patch). It happens in game, but the easiest place to catch it is in the table menu, particularly when the tables have a short audio sample looping (Black Rose for example).

Also, I haven't checked in a while, but is the music still cutting out in Whirlwind and Victory?

And finally, there's still the problem in Starship Troopers where if you launch the first ball before the 'new battle plan' speech is over, the music gets stuck in an annoying 2 second loop for the rest of the game.

I gave up on the PS4 version a long time ago. Seeing that there are still many sound problems after 2 1/2 years, I have no regrets.

BTW, in Black Rose (presumably all platforms) the other part of the main theme is missing.

To be fair, the XBox 360 sound quality for TPA also took a serious dive with the update. I tried all 10 tables I still had and was disappointed to find out how inferior the sound quality was when compared to how it was before the updates. They have not patched the 360 version in nearly a year, so FarSight evidently cannot be too busy with that platform.

Although the PC version is no ultimate sound experience, at least it doesn't have those irritating pops and cut outs.

With regards to the Starship Troopers music loop problem, it's not exclusive to PS4. The PC version still has that problem as well, and always has. I can't speak for any other platforms though. My only problem with SST is it won't let me nuke 5 planets, but that's another discussion LOL.

Last edited:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
The other thing is it very well may be in this next release. FarSight only does these patches when they do a table dump, as it costs them big bucks each time they submit to Sony. This is what makes the updates so infrequent as opposed to when they release on Steam.

Yeah, I have no problem with FS saving some bucks by submitting/releasing an update (PS3 & PS4) only every 3, 4 or 5 months.

But it will more true to say that they fix NOTHING in the meantime. The updates just contain the new tables assets/data and that's all. No fix (some tables are broken since day one -who says Champion Pub?-), no new stuff (I think we can wait forever for the physics 3.0 on old tables).

Basically, consoles players pay the same price than everybody else, but for a broken product, not maintained, barely polished and a kind of rushed (PS4 version flaws are just a shame, given what I read from the PS4 users).

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Yeah, I have no problem with FS saving some bucks by submitting/releasing an update (PS3 & PS4) only every 3, 4 or 5 months.

But it will more true to say that they fix NOTHING in the meantime. The updates just contain the new tables assets/data and that's all. No fix (some tables are broken since day one -who says Champion Pub?-), no new stuff (I think we can wait forever for the physics 3.0 on old tables).

Basically, consoles players pay the same price than everybody else, but for a broken product, not maintained, barely polished and a kind of rushed (PS4 version flaws are just a shame, given what I read from the PS4 users).

If you are referring to the energy bar lights on Champion Pub, that's has actually been fixed for a while. (Either the November update or the one before that.). However, the pop bumpers on Gorgar are still always lit.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
If you are referring to the energy bar lights on Champion Pub, that's has actually been fixed for a while. (Either the November update or the one before that.). However, the pop bumpers on Gorgar are still always lit.

Nope, on PS3, the Jump Rope doesn't work (in 720p), which makes the table unplayable. Numerous tables on which lights are broken (CV yellow bulbs), BH and FH scores are not posted to leaderboards, Firepower famous game ending bug (still on all platforms?), ball going through the Skull lock on T2, etc.

But I have to say I can trade all of this against the physics 3.0 on all tables, which seems more and more unlikely as time goes by.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I really wish the audio glitches would be addressed and fixed.

What's weird is that the audio glitches don't come through on the internal PS4 video capturing. Maybe this information can help Farsight figure out what's causing it and fix it once and for all. This has been going on WAY too long and really detracts from furthermore amazing work Farsight has done on them.

This, for example, has many pops and click sounds during play, but in this "direct PS4 Share recording" sounds fine to me.
THEATRE OF MAGIC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD4lpjlhhxA

PS4 owners are in serious need of a new "Mega Patch" such as the one the PS3 received a few years ago.

One which could address the following:
Fix the audio glitching on several tables..
Add 3.0 Flipper & Ball Physics on older tables. Big Shot was a great start!..
Fix the missing Friend Sorting on the LEADERBOARDS..
Add Ambient lighting sliders like the DX11 version has..
Stereoscopic 3D added like the PS3 has been enjoying.. (with the eventual move to PSVR)..
The update to remove the large Pinball Arcade watermark covering the DMD on PS4 Shared videos (According to Farsight it has been removed and will be updated at an unknown time.
Along with many of the other mentioned bugs.

The PS4 version is great, but it could be so much better. I think many people are still holding off on moving over from the PS3 to the PS4 version because of these issues.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
There should be a patch tonight or tomorrow, before the new doc drops. Keep your eyes peeled. It is supposed to be the update that removes the watermark from videos. There could be other fixes as well.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Yeah that Friends' leaderboard has been an issue since it's launch on PS4. Among other things that Spoonman mentiioned. I was already bummed with the shortage of trophies, but they can at least fix the friends' leaderboards. It's been going on 3 years now. Hopefully we'll see it in the next big patch.

Also I had a great run on Pinbot and finished all of the wizard goals. Except that none of them unlocked. I already had one previously unlocked, but the Sun's Special goal, 1,000,000 Solar point goal, and the point bonus goal I did...but nothing unlocked.

PeacemakerPIN

Nov 19, 2015
I really wish the audio glitches would be addressed and fixed.

What's weird is that the audio glitches don't come through on the internal PS4 video capturing. Maybe this information can help Farsight figure out what's causing it and fix it once and for all. This has been going on WAY too long and really detracts from furthermore amazing work Farsight has done on them.

This, for example, has many pops and click sounds during play, but in this "direct PS4 Share recording" sounds fine to me.
THEATRE OF MAGIC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD4lpjlhhxA

PS4 owners are in serious need of a new "Mega Patch" such as the one the PS3 received a few years ago.

One which could address the following:
Fix the audio glitching on several tables..
Add 3.0 Flipper & Ball Physics on older tables. Big Shot was a great start!..
Fix the missing Friend Sorting on the LEADERBOARDS..
Add Ambient lighting sliders like the DX11 version has..
Stereoscopic 3D added like the PS3 has been enjoying.. (with the eventual move to PSVR)..
The update to remove the large Pinball Arcade watermark covering the DMD on PS4 Shared videos (According to Farsight it has been removed and will be updated at an unknown time.
Along with many of the other mentioned bugs.

The PS4 version is great, but it could be so much better. I think many people are still holding off on moving over from the PS3 to the PS4 version because of these issues.

Nah. You can still hear the audio cracks and pops on the PS4 version if you listen with headphones. The audio is a bit compressed on youtube.

Listen to the PC version (DX11) of the same table. It's supposed to sound crystal clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDguQNoZX_Y

thefly0810

Feb 13, 2014
Friends leaderboards please!! (As well audio/early table bug fixes)
Remember when TPA originally came to the PS 4, Farsight said they were looking into adding Season specific trophies instead of table specific trophies? Now if you ask Farsight about trophies, they'll tell you that "Sony says that we have reached our trophy limit." That's true for the PS3/Vita due to Sony's convoluted Gold/Silver/Bronze trophy point system. However, that's an outright lie when it comes to the PS4. Now I'm not a math wizard, but I do know that the 96 trophies available for the PS3/Vita does not equal the 66 trophies available for the PS4, let alone the 116 trophies (and counting) for Zen Pinball 2. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this mean that Farsight has at least 30 trophies available to them to create for the PS4 when comparing it to the PS3/Vita version of TPA?

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Also I had a great run on Pinbot and finished all of the wizard goals. Except that none of them unlocked. I already had one previously unlocked, but the Sun's Special goal, 1,000,000 Solar point goal, and the point bonus goal I did...but nothing unlocked.

There's some rules to follow to unlock this wizard goal:

To get the Sun Special on Pin*Bot:

Like all specials requested as a wizard goal (like Monster Bash special for example), the Sun Special must be collected with a single ball in play: it means that the visor is closed, no ball locked, just one ball in the playfield.

- Collect the special during multiball: don't register
- Collect the special when a ball is locked: don't register
- Collect the special when the visor is open: don't register

- Collect the special during "normal" play: register.

As soon as you lit the sun, if you're in multiball, lose the second ball, shot anywhere to close the visor (if you trap the ball, the visor will stay open until you shoot).

Then, aim directly to the special target (risky) or pray for the ball to bounce on the left slingshot and goes straight to the target.

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...al-wizard-goal?p=160508&viewfull=1#post160508

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
I gave up on the PS4 version a long time ago. Seeing that there are still many sound problems after 2 1/2 years, I have no regrets.

BTW, in Black Rose (presumably all platforms) the other part of the main theme is missing.

To be fair, the XBox 360 sound quality for TPA also took a serious dive with the update. I tried all 10 tables I still had and was disappointed to find out how inferior the sound quality was when compared to how it was before the updates. They have not patched the 360 version in nearly a year, so FarSight evidently cannot be too busy with that platform.

Although the PC version is no ultimate sound experience, at least it doesn't have those irritating pops and cut outs.

With regards to the Starship Troopers music loop problem, it's not exclusive to PS4. The PC version still has that problem as well, and always has. I can't speak for any other platforms though. My only problem with SST is it won't let me nuke 5 planets, but that's another discussion LOL.

I do not have PS4 but sorry to hear of all the troubles. Responding because I do have the 360 version and love the audio. I play through an exceptionally calibrated home theater system, and it seems accurate without popping, clicking, or dropouts on the 360. Thanks!

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
I dont personally play anything on ps4 right now, but my girl does and from what I have seen the ps4 has sound issues in general. For example when she goes to watch nexflix or youtube the sound will not be properly synced up and the system must be restarted. It sucks that they have not yet identified the issue as I used to experiance it. I am positive they would want to fix it though. Maybe it has something to do with the type or brand of tv or sound system? Or does every player have these issues? I have a Samsung tv and Boston sound bar and sub.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I dont personally play anything on ps4 right now, but my girl does and from what I have seen the ps4 has sound issues in general. For example when she goes to watch nexflix or youtube the sound will not be properly synced up and the system must be restarted. It sucks that they have not yet identified the issue as I used to experiance it. I am positive they would want to fix it though. Maybe it has something to do with the type or brand of tv or sound system? Or does every player have these issues? I have a Samsung tv and Boston sound bar and sub.

That's weird. Do you have the launch model PS4 or the revision with better cooling and physical eject button?

I'm using the latter and have not had any audio problems with any other title. I use Netflix and YouTube daily and I've not even rebooted the PS4 since the last FW update over a month ago.

I also use a good pair of Sony MDR headphones connected directly to the Dual Shock 4 controller.

I made a video of the 1.12 update last night and the audio glitches are as bad as ever. They are very easy to hear on Gorgar because the lack of music doesn't cover them up like on some other tables.

http://youtu.be/zFfCxtkFjS4 To hear some of the bad audio go to 7:21 to hear the most obvious bits during Gorgar.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts