Real DMD output now possible for FX2 !!!

NoEx

Mar 12, 2015
I'm currently talking with freezy about this, i've started to work on it yesterday, the goal is to find a way to get the raw dmd data in the game to be able to output it to a real dmd.

Here is what i've made so far, i can write/read every single pixel on the DMD grid.

753840Sanstitre.png

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
That is superb news NoEx. This would bring almost perfect full cab support to TPA. Thanks again for your work and to freezy as well.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Is there a noticeable difference between a monitor displaying the dmd and a real dmd screen? I happen to have a real dmd but ended up using a tv monitor instead. Always wondered if a real dmd looks any different...or would I not notice any difference.

freezy

Jun 5, 2012
I'll soon be having PinDMDv1, PinDMDv2, PinDMDv3 and PIN2DMD working, which should cover pretty much any DMD used for virtual pinball out there.

The program I wrote is very modular, so you can have any combination of input/output nodes with a processing stack in-between, like a primitive render graph. Right now the screen grabbing technique seems to work quite well for Pinball FX2. TPA could probably work the same way as Pinball FX2, but pulling pixels directly from memory like NoEx is trying to do would be considerably more elegant and stable.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
The pixels are much brighter and more separated in most cases.
The big difference is probably only the nostalgia factor in having a real per pixel DMD display.
Like playing with flipper buttons instead of a keyboard etc. The effect is the same...

L33

Aug 20, 2014
The pixels are much brighter and more separated in most cases.
The big difference is probably only the nostalgia factor in having a real per pixel DMD display.
Like playing with flipper buttons instead of a keyboard etc. The effect is the same...

I thought that may be the case. The only reason I never set up the dmd is because TPA and Zen don't use it...but I guess if this function becomes available then Id probably look at making the change. Problem for me is that you usually need a degree in computers to set these things up! ;) But i did design my dmd board to use a real dmd so perhaps thats what needs to be done :) Gotta say, credit to the guys who come up ways to improve gameplay etc. Must take a lot of sussing out and hard work.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I have to say it again: You guys ROCK!
Finally you have done what FS withheld from us for the last years. I am very happy - can't wait to get back to my cab. I use a PinDMD2 also have a PIN2DMD lying around - which will be put to good use soon.
Thanks NoEx and freezy for making this the game it should be.
For everyone who cares Pinball Arcade on Real DMD - Beta Testing
http://vpforums.org/index.php?/topic/34635-Pinball-Arcade-on-Real-DMD---Beta-Testing

TerryRed

Feb 7, 2016
Just tried this out quickly on my desktop, and it works well for cabinet owners who use monitors for DMDs too. You can have TPA's (and PFX2's) DMD output to a virtual DMD window, that is much cleaner than the normal camera mod method...and you don't have the chrome bezel, just the "round" DMD pixels.

You still need the camera mod for Frankenstein, and non-DMD tables currently, and also to keep the camera view static.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.