Do You Own A Virtual Pinball Cabinet?

Peter NYC

Apr 17, 2012
Just wondering how many people here have their own virtual pinball cabinet. For those unfamiliar with what one is, it is a PC based system usually with multiple screens mounted inside of a real pinball cabinet.

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
In the middle of building one as we speak. I'll post pics when it is a bit further along, but it's already very playable.

Definitely hoping TPA comes out with a PC version with cabinet support sooner rather than later.

Craig Booth

Feb 28, 2012
Yeah, built one for Visual Pinball using Radical! as a donor. Really liked that table too, so it's a shame I had to rip it a new one. Still have the playfield and would love to make a coffee table out of it!

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
No, I don't have one.

As much as I love Pinball and would love to play all of my old favorites, and new machines I've never played in the flesh, I've not been able to do so before.
As a software developer, I have to respect I.P. rights and thusly have avoided VP and FP.

FarSight gives me hope!
If the PC version supports cabinet builds, I'm there!

As I understand it, it sounds like downoaded digital content, as it currently exists for the other platforms might not work very well with PC cabinet builds.
It also seems that for hardcore cabinet builders, most of the PC hardware and software configurations are not exactly live connected to the internet constantly.

That being the case, I'd certainly be willing to support an alternate release for PC cabinets...

Lets say.. a TPA "Pro" version.
Even if it was purchasing a CD/DVD disc for each game, at a premium price.

I'd hope that the game would be built in such a way as to provide the ability to have all the digital output signals available to trigger external hardware and lights...
as well as having the digital input signals available to use real flipper buttons, real plumb-bob, real analog type plunger, real buttons inside the coin door... etc.
The games can be kicked off and run via command-line arguments, etc. and don't require live internet connection to play.

FarSight... PLEASE.. even if the standard PC release doesn't support all of these features.. make them available to us somehow!

I'm willing to devote a stupid amount of time and money to build my ultimate pinball system...
All around your ability to get excellent licensed content.
This does include financially supporting you through paying for these features.

Don't let down your most hardcore supporters.
Unlike the people complaining that almost free isn't cheap enough, there's folks out here willing to back up our support with money.

I'm one of those folks.

amv71

Feb 29, 2012
In the middle of building one as we speak. I'll post pics when it is a bit further along, but it's already very playable.

Definitely hoping TPA comes out with a PC version with cabinet support sooner rather than later.
I for one would love to see this. Can't say I've ever seen one (or can imagine what they look like) so I'm intrigued!

unclewilly

Feb 20, 2012
ive got a mini table top one connected to my desktop for developing vp tables.
its 4 screens.
32 inch desktop monitor
24 inch playfield in the mini cab
19 inch 4:3 backglass screen
7 inch usb monitor for dmd
diy plunger motion board kit

i also have an old cocktail pin that i gutted.
it has a 32 inch screen and a real dmd
on the end i have a diy plunger and motion board kit
on the long side i have an xarcade tankstik mounted for mame daphne and other emulators
i

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
No, but if the TPA PC release supports cabinets really well then I'll try to make one.

Maybe a coffee table version made with a Samsung 50' led for a screen and a foot peddle that you can step on to raise/lower one end of it.
Or maybe just a standard sized and shaped pin. I own a couple arcade machines I could set it next too.

Brian C Hayes

Jul 5, 2012
Yep and I love it, being based n Asia I have no chance of buyin a real table without spending enough Usd to buy a small house on shipping etc ... Currently loving lethal weapon 3 ... But I will support the crap out of these guys when they bring out the cab version ... Will probally inspire me to update my pc machine so it runs better

derralf

Jun 7, 2013
Yep, revived an old Space Invaders Body, that was in dire need of repair. Now it contains a 42" Led for playfield, a 32" Led for Headbox and an i5 for CPU driving hyperpin with about 50 tables.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 2

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012

How did this end up coming out? I'd love to see some pics and a write up as I'm starting to price out building a virtual pinball machine myself.

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
Zooooooooombie Thread!

Tragically, I did a long write-up last year, but I think the only place I had it saved was on my work email, and I've since switched jobs, so it's lost to the ages.

But in short:

1. Built out a cabinet that would hold all buttons and the playfield monitor and have a shelf that would hold...
2. The backglass monitor, separate of the cabinet itself. These two would be connected to a...
3. Separate PC (not integrated into the cabinet.)

Really I only got as far as building the box, doing all the wiring, setting the playfield in and putting down some foamboard as a matte. For a while I was thinking of getting playfield glass and some trim, and painting, and integrating the monitor on hinges, and maybe doing LEDs and force feedback... but once I got to the point where it was playable, I sort of just left it there.

I play all the time (though I have a real pin too now) and I'm really happy with it. Truth be told, I'm not even sure how much I care about getting TPA on it. VP has solid versions of pretty much every game on TPA, and many, many more. The VP software has also had some great updates recently and tables utilizing these updates are beautiful, plus the dB2S system is quite a game changer in rounding out the experience.

One pic only handy, and super blurry, but you should get the gist:

2013-07-06%2017.23.16.jpg

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Competition is always good. I hope that it is better with TPA. Time will tell. Right now the new 9.15+ tables and dB2S backglass system are pretty sweet with VP. Can't wait to see what FS comes up with.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts