May Tournament!

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
TotM%20logo.fw.png

Score Entry: http://goo.gl/forms/3UY2o1d3zAys2RSL2

This month starts a new chapter in the TOTM series! This time will be a little different than we have been used to, but the tournament is still going to be held the last weekend of the month. Make sure you sign up to play! The prize to the highest ranked participant who signs up for it is a Steam code for Zaccaria Pinball on PC! I will be PMing or emailing the code to the winner as soon as Zsolt sends them out, hopefully soon! Please sign up and play even if you dont want or dont need the game code, I plan to play for fun and hope others do to!

Entry of scores will be open for 4 days beginning Friday the 27th at 12AM mountain time and closing Monday the 30th (Memorial day) at approximately 11:59 pm. Of course you can play on any platform for the tournament.

As before each player will play up to 2 credits (games) on each table, and enter their highest score gor each table into the score entry form while the tournament is open. Scores posted after will NOT count.

There will be 8 total tables in this tournament
Pinbot
Big Shot
Space Shuttle
El Dorado (EM)
Haunted House
Gorgar
Xenon
Genie

Totw threads will be open 2 at a time leading up, to keep em fresh in our minds

EXTRA BALLS ARE ALLOWED! Make sure to play all the extra balls you earn. VikingErik pointed out it IS possible to go "infinite" on Pinbot, so the rule is you must start and end your game during the 3 day tournament. As before make sure to take a picture or screenshot of your score for each table, just to have proof for any who may question your scores legitamacy. TOTM seemed to have no cheating, lets keep with that tradition.

For each table, the amount of tournament points earned will be determined by the number of players who enter scores. The player with the highest score will recieve the total number of points equal to the amount of people that enter a score, tournament points will be given1 less for each place down to last recieving 1 point. The total of tournament points will be added for each player, the tournament winner will be the player with the most tournament points.

In the event of a tie, the credits scored on El Dorado will be used as a tie breaker, so be sure you capture yours in your evidence of score pic/screen shot!

Anyone who plays please give your gratitude to [MENTION=2707]Xanija[/MENTION], for without him, this would not be possible! He created the sign up sheet, score entry form, and set up the spreadsheet that will tabulate our scores! Very impressive stuff, thank you Xanija

Also a big thank you to Chris (SYT) and Jared of the Blacade podcast, and our very own forum badasses for their support! You guys rule! they will announce the tournament results as usual.

Please post any questions or concerns here, and let us know if you will participate!

Last edited:

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Great! Too bad I wont win, the price is really nifty :)
Like the games, Haunted House not so much but hey, it is what it is. I kinda got back a bit into it but I haven't been playing TPA, just pinball in general.

I wish FS would redo Gorgar backglass and spiff it up in general, really nice game.

Cheers!

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I will participate without any chance of winning ;)

It will be useful to know, at which time (incl. time zone) the tourney will start and end.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
EXTRA BALLS ARE ALLOWED! Make sure to play all the extra balls you earn. VikingErik pointed out it IS possible to go "infinite" on Pinbot, so the rule is you must start and end your game during the 3 day tournament.

All the tables do allow going infinite, each one always has an extra ball available. It's just a lot harder on the tables that only allow 1 stacked EB at a time (all except Pinbot and Space Shuttle) since any two consecutive drains without earning an EB between represents an irrevocable ball loss. And that all said, Pinbot and Space Shuttle are pretty tough to go infinite on, I'd doubt it would be an issue for tournament length here.

As before make sure to take a picture or screenshot of your score for each table, just to have proof for any who may question your scores legitamacy. TOTM seemed to have no cheating, lets keep with that tradition.

There's also the Farsight weekly leaderboards where all the scores should show up too.

Not a signup; I'll be traveling away for Memorial Day weekend.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'll participate for sure! With those tables I'll need all the extra balls I can get, and it still won't add up to much.

Folks, even if you can't find time to play all the tables, join in and play what you can. I always used to say it in the former format, it's not about if you can win or not, it's all about the participation. For the average player, none of these tables are multi hour affairs. So find an hour in the morning, or before bed. Play one game during lunch. It's 3 days long, I'm sure you can squeeze at least 2 tables in there somewhere.

It shouldn't be about the win, it should be about the community.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
+1 to what you say SYT. Play any tables you can guys, the more participants the better fun it will be

thank you all for your input, hope can make it for a game or 2 eldar and viking. Really glad the rest of you guys plan to participate!

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
Snorzel
Since my primary is a PS3, if I do buy El Dorado (EM) it will have to be on android, is that still ok for the tournament?
Unless I buy it on Steam, but I haven't been on steam for several months.

Axlsgolden

Dec 2, 2013
Sry guys. I´m playing more ZEN pinball atm. You are such strong players. I like the motivation of Montana Frank. But my results are way too bad to participate. It is better to be honest.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
[MENTION=1051]Pinballwiz45b[/MENTION] hope everything is alright with you, stop in if you do get the chance even if its not all the tables to show us how its done!

[MENTION=1466]Johni3w6[/MENTION] yeah play on any platform like before, glad you want to play :)

[MENTION=3859]Axlsgolden[/MENTION], you most definitely should play! Its not all about the win, just do what you can and have fun with it, besides 3 top players have commented saying they most likely wont play, that cant hurt your chances :). I am always middle of the pack it seems in a tournament, but you never know when you will be feeling it and get an awesome game in!

Last edited:

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
I added start and end times to the op. Please let me know if I am forgetting any details

Axlsgolden

Dec 2, 2013
ups, sry...thank u very much snorzel for your encouraging words.

Maybe I can improve a bit in pinball. Ok, I want to take part in the tournament. And I support your work to compile a tournament. It means a lot of work. Thank u all.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Sry guys. I´m playing more ZEN pinball atm. You are such strong players. I like the motivation of Montana Frank. But my results are way too bad to participate. It is better to be honest.

Glad you are participating and thanks Snorzel for encouraging Axlsgolden to play this tournament. I think of it as having fun with friends who play TPA. My bowling average has gone down 25 points over the last 5 years. I feel that I'm also too bad to participate in bowling, but have too much fun at the bowling alley to care about my bowling. It's all about the fun. Woo-Hoo! :D

Last edited:

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Glad you are participating and thanks Snorzel for encouraging Axlsgolden to play this tournament. I think of it as having fun with friends who play TPA. My bowling average has gone down 25 points over the last 5 years. I feel that I'm also too bad to participate in bowling, but have too much fun at the bowling alley to care about my bowling. It's all about the fun. Woo-Hoo! :D

I hope you have fun playing Frank! I think ANYONE could win if they have a good run. Good luck to you all

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I think people that don't have time for all 8 tables can instead act as spoilers, which I like! Follow me here...

If 10 people played all 8 tables, the same point value is available for each. So if player 1 wins 4 tables (40 points) and takes second on the other 4 (36 points), they are guaranteed to win, or possibly tie with player 2 who does the same thing.

But let's say on the tables they didn't win, there were more players. Players 11-15 also happen to be really good. Player 2 still takes first on these 4 tables, but 11-15 fill in the point disparity between what used to be good enough for player 1's second place finish. So player 2 now earns 60 points on four tables, and still 36 on the other 4. Player 1 comes in 5th place now on the ones he used to have 2nd on. Suddenly he has lost big.

That's just one example of having extra players on a few tables can affect the outcome. You see what I'm getting at I hope. So come play what you can, shake things up.

superdan

Jan 30, 2015
I like the "out of the box" thinking and trying new things. I will surely give it a college try. increased time dedication not a direction I would go, but it's not my tourney.
Just one suggestion...can we bringing back divisions so us "B" or "C" players don't feel like we are spinning our wheels when we have to compete with Viking, pinball wiz, and the other, I'd say, top 5 who win week after week after week.
Just a thought.
Cheers

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
[MENTION=5169]superdan[/MENTION], the problem with doing divisions is you need a large group of players to even start with. Otherwise you are stuck playing the same 5 people over and over again. The other thing is you need a seeding tourney or two to establish those divisions. That's hard to do with a one and done TotM like this.

Now, you are more than free to volunteer for an upcoming month to try whatever you'd like. If you truly are intent on division seeding, one suggestion would be to do something like have a single table tryout each week leading up to the tourney. Put as few restrictions as possible on it, so it can be part of a person's normal playing routine. In the span of a month you'd have your data, so long as all who submit wind up playing on the day. Considering how many times over the course of a year + I had people sign up on Thursday only to not play on Saturday, that can be problematic.

For now, let's keep it on track for how Snorzel IS running this month's TotM and why people should play in it.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
[MENTION=5169]superdan[/MENTION], the truth is I thought about it, and wanted bracket sytems and stuff, but I was trying to balance somthing new and make it not too time consuming. Would you have just tried to pick up where we left off in reference to divisions, or did you have an idea for establishing the hierarchy? Also, unfortunately viking and pinball wiz say they will not be able to join, and one can still win the code if no one who ranked higher than them signed up for it.

I like your thinking SYT :). Everyone loves a spoiler. It will be interesting to see what table has the most participants and what has the least if there is any difference.

I am thinking of opening the sign up on Monday the 23rd and have it open up until the tournament starts. Let me know if this works for you guys.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts