BlahCade 59: Why Gottlieb's Aren't Chris' Favourite Manufacturer

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
Chris and Farsight, the only other Gottlieb/Premier games I want are, Waterworld, Stargate, Freddy: Nightmare On Elm Street, Whipeout, Surf N Safari, and Cactus Jacks and that is it for Gotlieb/Premier Pinball Games.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I maintain that you could slap a Williams/Bally logo on Surf N Safari and it wouldn't look out of place for a late-era alphanumeric SS. It's by far the least Premier-y Premier, since it has a pretty standard "fan" layout, rules that make sense, non-annoying music and callouts, and some fun and satisfying shots (the skill shot and the Whirlpool in particular).

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
The way they do audio is jacked up...

I heard this table was going to be a dance floor, while the beat does center around 87Hz which is higher up in the midbass band it hovers at -20dB while dance music would be hitting -10dB or a tad higher, this is with SFX/Table Music at 100%
ezhFIIc.png

Turning the menu music from 50% to 100% one of the bass notes starts hitting the -10dB mark which was only maybe -15dB before while the main bassline stays the same at -20dB, this is all recorded with the ball trapped on a flipper.

I don't have any emulators installed for comparison but I thought it was weird people praised it for its sound package but is limp wristed in TPA, perhaps being next to the real tables subwoofer offers an experince that can't be replicated.

background: audio is another hobby of mine, I own and measure with a calibration microphone and EQ my speaker system to get a balanced response for the room it's in

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Chris complained about the music package, the reality might be two factor, farsight isn't known for their stellar audio work* and a nearfield audio experience may not translate well across everyones system.. especially on platforms with dinky speakers.

*look no further than their twitch streams, no one has bothered to put in 10 minutes to adjust their audio levels.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they now record sounds with mics against the speakers.

They used to extract audio from the ROM directly by recording the stream.

Judge Dredd was noticeably missing the low to mid range.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Listen to the original audio rips from PinSound for Judge Dredd vs TPA and the difference is noticeable.

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they now record sounds with mics against the speakers.

They used to extract audio from the ROM directly by recording the stream.

Judge Dredd was noticeably missing the low to mid range.

Who they FarSight? FS have never recorded directly from ROM it has always been mics to speakers.

All the audio is noticeably missing something, likely artifacts from compression, but still it's something.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.