Hidden Gem: Necronomicon Pinball, Sega Saturn 1996

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014

necronomicon-cd.jpg

Hey folks! I'm always looking for new, weird digital pinball games to try since my state is so dry on the real thing. I thought I'd share my review on a real diamond in the rough from the 90s.

Necronomicon Pinball is a Japan-only Sega Saturn pinball game developed by KaZe that never released on another platform. The disc contains three original tables with a Lovecraft theme, ridiculous heavy metal music and some pretty outstanding physics.

Seriously, these physics still really hold up, it's shocking.

Each table is comprised of "high res" pre-renders and the game runs at a solid 60 fps. Table design is very realistic, ala Pro Pinball. Each table is slightly harder than the last, with the Arkham Asylum table being pretty darn easy and featuring a 6-ball multiball with no frame drops. The designs aren't overly complicated but the flow is good and the tables are surprisingly engaging. Despite never leaving Japan, the entire game is in perfect English - all the text and spooky voice overs!

Arkham Asylum, Dreamlands and Cult of the Bloody Tongue make up the set. Each table features in-depth, illustrated, English instructions. Rather than a traditional DMD, various illustrated banners will pop up in the margins with notifications, and arrows will flash on the table when an objective is lit. Options include 1-2 Players, adjustable controlls (nudge and flip), information arrow toggle and background music toggle. Pausing the game during play presents a screen of useful info on current values, multipliers, etc. A mode called "Realms Mode" has the player trying to clear a target score on each table in succession.

One of the game's notable features is the presence of several live-action FMV sequences. The Prologue and Epilogue FMVs feature music composed by John Petrucci of Dream Theater... I don't know why.

So how do you play? Well, you could try eBay where used import copies go for about $35-45. With a flashed Action Replay you can make your Sega Saturn region-free, making this an excellent import purchase. Of course, the computer savvy can find other ways to play this gem. If you enjoy pinball oddities I believe the effort to get a working copy is well-justified. Despite the Saturn's low native resolution, the game plays fairly modern.

Lovecraft, Heavy Metal, Solid Pinball. A+ retro stuff.

necro4.png

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Hope you guys thought this was interesting. I updated the OP with pics of the other tables.

So it looks like this company, Kaze, made more pinball games using this engine. I'll look into tracking them down and doing some more write-ups, especially if there are ports.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It appears they had a few pinball games. A complete list of their games is here: http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/KAZe

Playstation:

• Power Rangers Pinball / Power Rangers Zeo: Full Tilt Battle Pinball (JP/US/EU Publisher: Bandai)

Saturn

• Digital Pinball: Last Gladiators / Digital Pinball / Last Gladiators Digital Pinball (JP Publisher: KAZe; EU Publisher: Sega; US Publisher: Time Warner Interactive)
  • Digital Pinball: Last Gladiators Ver. 9.7 (JP Publisher: KAZe)
  • Digital Pinball: Necronomicon (JP Publisher: KAZe)

SNES

• Super Pinball: Behind the Mask (JP Publisher: Meldac; US/EU Publisher: Nintendo)
  • Super Pinball II: The Amazing Odyssey (JP Publisher: Meldac)

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
I thought those graphics looked familiar......I used to have Super Pinball-BTM on the SNES. Very fun game, had no clue about the SNES sequel, which looks like a Euro-only game.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It appears they had a few pinball games. A complete list of their games is here: http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/KAZe

Playstation:

• Power Rangers Pinball / Power Rangers Zeo: Full Tilt Battle Pinball (JP/US/EU Publisher: Bandai)

Saturn

• Digital Pinball: Last Gladiators / Digital Pinball / Last Gladiators Digital Pinball (JP Publisher: KAZe; EU Publisher: Sega; US Publisher: Time Warner Interactive)
  • Digital Pinball: Last Gladiators Ver. 9.7 (JP Publisher: KAZe)
  • Digital Pinball: Necronomicon (JP Publisher: KAZe)

SNES

• Super Pinball: Behind the Mask (JP Publisher: Meldac; US/EU Publisher: Nintendo)
  • Super Pinball II: The Amazing Odyssey (JP Publisher: Meldac)

Ohhh, Last Gladiators is actually available on iOS. I played it quite a bit before TPA came along. It was fun for the time when there wasn't much else to choose from, but the physics are really repetitive though (the ball takes the same exact paths too frequently).

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Ohhh, Last Gladiators is actually available on iOS. I played it quite a bit before TPA came along. It was fun for the time when there wasn't much else to choose from, but the physics are really repetitive though (the ball takes the same exact paths too frequently).

I have the Saturn version of Last Gladiators waiting for a write-up. It released the year before Necronomicon and I understand that Necronomicon is supposed to be much better. I believe the IOS version of Last Gladiators wants $5/table for the 4 tables. LG was released in the U.S. on Saturn and copies on eBay go for anywhere between $4-20.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
There is a free iOS version to try out - 1 ball with a time limit.
I am usually a sucker for all things pinball - but $5 a table for this is a bit much.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I have the Saturn version of Last Gladiators waiting for a write-up. It released the year before Necronomicon and I understand that Necronomicon is supposed to be much better. I believe the IOS version of Last Gladiators wants $5/table for the 4 tables. LG was released in the U.S. on Saturn and copies on eBay go for anywhere between $4-20.

Unfortunately the iOS app hasn't been updated since 2010, so it's probably not optimized for newer versions of iOS. Also it doesn't have the Necronomicon table. The four tables it offers are Last Gladiators, Night of the Roses, Dragon Showdown, and Warlock.

Last edited:

Wasarasormi

Jun 2, 2016
I remember playing a pinball game on Sega Megadrive about 20 years ago. It was horror themed and I think you could build your own tables as well. Not sure if it might be related to this. Was cool though.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.