Safe nudging. Tablets

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
So I need a confirmation. After giving up on the "shake to nudge" feature, I decided to switch to tap. Well, it occurs to me that tapping is not analog, so that must mean that no matter how "hard" I tap, the table shouldn't tilt, right? Therefore a tilt state is probably activated by frequency of the tapping and therefore as long as I never double tap, I should be safe.

Does this sound right?

N

Nik Barbour

That's right - the tilt limit is accumulative, and decays against time after not being nudged.

N

Nik Barbour

Laughing!
Good idea is to play a game, deliberately bash the cr@p out of it and learn the limits.
You can hear the Tilt sensor noise on Android version to give you some indication. Don't know if this is the same on IOS?

Stormchild

Jun 24, 2012
I finally ended up switching to 'touchscreen' as well. 'Shake' is just too hard to control. Not only is it easy to shake too hard (or not hard enough), but I can't tell if it's even possible to reliably control which side of the table you're nudging.

The main thing I had to do to accomodate tap-to-nudge is move my hands much higher up on the iPad, so I'm tapping just below the center line for the flippers, and the nudge spots are within reach. It's a little weird at first, but actually a bit more comfortable, and also makes the game playable sitting on a table in landscape mode with the smart cover rolled up into a stand. Got a new high score on FunHouse yesterday in landscape. It's not as bad as I first thought. In that scenario, I use my thumbs for the flippers, and keep my index fingers ready to nudge (since I don't have to hold the iPad up).

It does take some practise to figure out exactly where to hold it so you can reliably reach the nudge area while watching the ball, but it's a pretty big improvement over basically not being able to nudge at all.

I still wish the "shake" sensitivity could be adjusted to allow much lighter taps on the side of the iPad to bump the table just like a real one, but I've never tried to work with accelerometer data, so I have no idea how viable that idea is. (From what I've heard, though, accelerometer data can be very finicky and needs some very careful filtering to make it usable for anything other than simply tilting the device.)

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Yeah, touchscreen is definitely the most useable setting, the whole shaking thing is just insane with a heavy, slippery 500€ device with a huge glass front.

Some visual indicators would be really helpful, though, some faint outlines perhaps, and moveable as well - I'm never completely sure where the line between flipping and nudging is, and accidentially doing the one thing while intending the other can be fatal.

Vip8888

Mar 25, 2012
Well, hopefully they will make shake to nudge work on the iPad. It works great on my Android tablet, so it is possible - I just wish they'd fix it on the iPad so I could buy all the tables again. ;)

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts