Favorite Premier/Gottlieb Table In TPA

What's Your Favorite Premier/Gottlieb in TPA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
The Premier/Gottlieb tables in TPA get a huge bashing. From Cue Ball Wizard to TX-Sector, they're almost universally lambasted with endless amounts of scorn poured over them. Surely though, there's a silver lining somewhere? A diamond in the rough? A secret favorite?

I was playing Tee'd Off a lot last night, and got to thinking. Tee'd Off isn't all that bad. Not great, sure, but at least it doesn't take itself seriously, the DMD animations aren't lame like most of the other Premier/Gottliebs, the call-outs are only slightly annoying, and even better it doesn't attempt to blow your ears off with endless guitar solos like No Good Gofers!

So, here's a poll. Vote, or don't vote.

Note: Premier Technologies was a management buy-out of Gottlieb (at the time renamed Mylstar by its owners Coca Cola(!)) in October 1984. So only games under the Gottlieb brand from 1984 onwards count for this poll. Which is why you can't vote for Central Park, Big Shot, El Dorado, Genie, Black Hole, or Haunted House. El Dorado City Of Gold was a Mylstar-era Gottlieb whose production was continued by Premier, so it does count.

Last edited:

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Haha, I thought the same. Actually I like playing Rescue 911, TX Sector and Victory every now and then. Tee'd off is quite ok. For the rest I don't care.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
For the record I voted for Victory. Tee'd Off is probably a close second, but since I was playing it a lot last night there may be some bias there.

If Surf N Safari ever comes to TPA, that will go instantly to my #1 :D

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
I actually enjoy playing the Premier/Gottlieb machines, and I know I'm in the minority. Tee'd Off is my favorite with TX-Sector being a close second. My least favorite is City of Gold, ONLY because of the sound effects. The playfield of drop targets is challenging at times to hit and complete. My suggestions for future Premier/Gottlieb machines is Robo War, Wipe Out, Surf N Safari, and Cactus Jacks. Ok, throw in Genesis for the heck of it! Lol

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
So, LCA it is. But Victory and Teed Off are also great games.
CBW and R911 are just garbage in every possible way, art, sound, gameplay.... everything sucks there.
TX is just boooooring.
El Dorado..... terrible sound and artwork but I like the drop targets fest there.
And Class of 1812...... Fugly. But the problem is that I just don't get it.

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
Glad the poll will go on for a year, hopefully with in that time I will be able to experience TX and 911, besides a short demo of each.
A certain aging and dying console has yet to receive these tables yet.

Out of the rest on the list, it's really a toss up,can't really say. All have enjoyable parts for a short time while playing.
1812, shoot the left ramp over and over during the million shot, still trying to get all the class together, had them for a quick second followed by an even quicker drain.

LCA, progression in the game for me is just horrible.

CBW, fine for a bit, until it has to remind me several times, "you really need that ramp shot", like no crap.

EL Dor, is alright when I went to feed my need to hit drop targets.

Victory, grabs for a me a bit, even though it's rinse and repeat can be a bit wearing. Though does pay-off when you can hit the shots and get on a roll.

Tee'd Off, The volume has to be low on this table, due to the clipping, at least for me with the music. Game play is better than the rest for me of the tables above.
Spelled Gopher only once during many plays of this game.
Guess for now, Tee'd Off would be my choice.
I'll hold my vote for a bit until TX and 911 are released.

JefferyD

May 10, 2013
Class of 1812 is my top pick here. I like the attitude and the brutal outlanes and the chicken.

Cue Ball Wizard was one of my least-liked tables and I banished it from my iPad for a year or so. Recently I read through a guide for it and gave it a reload. Okay, now I get it! It’s pretty cool. I don’t really play for score, I try to finish all the modes. Haven’t done them all in one game yet, but it’s fun to try.

El Dorado City of Gold is pretty good. When I’ve tired of Big Shot (and I hardly ever tire of Big Shot) I spend a little time in El Dorado, listening to the beeping and chirping and static-filled roars of the wildlife. (That new El Dorado is straight-up awesome, tho. How can the same game be so much better?)

Lights, Camera, Action, Victory and Tee’d Off are all misses. Haven’t had much fun with those, yet. Victory had me for a day when it came out, but it became tedious and just wouldn’t end after I got on a roll. LCA strikes me as confused and ugly. Tee’d off, in addition to being golf-themed (bleh) doesn’t know when to shut up.

TX-SECTOR is brand new to me, but I really like it after five or so games. I can see it challenging 1812 for the top spot in my playlist if I spend some quality time with it–– I’d play more but it gets stuck in attract mode after each game since the last update. I haven’t cracked open Rescue 911 yet (I’m a recent season 5 iOS purchaser.)

gordonabrown

May 3, 2016
Tee'd Off followed by Victory.

Cue Ball Wizard would be third for me. Overall I don't mind Premier games. I've never understand the theme of Class of 1812, why exactly are these characters the class of 1812? Their stories are not from that year...?

Anubis

Jun 4, 2016
Victory is the best of that bunch for me. But, it's kind of like the thinnest kid at fat camp. R911 and LCA annoy me for same reason -- the long cut scenes (chopper and gun fight). I know players place different emphasis on things like music and speech. Some don't care -- it's all about how it plays. I think it matters. And, these machines are almost universally bad in that regard. Great music (BK2K) or making me laugh (MM) helps me get into a machine. Whereas, lousy music and annoying dialogue (Tee'd Off) have the opposite effect.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Tee'd off (even though NGG is a lot better), followed by TX-Sector.

But Super Mario Bros is still the best Premier table! :D

Last edited:

MWink

Jan 13, 2013
Unlike many others, I don't hate most of the Premier/Gottlieb tables. I find that they tend to be a bit different but still fun. For this poll I picked TX Sector because I've just been loving it. Previously, I probably would have gone with LCA as I often enjoy that for a fast, brutal game. I admit, I don't really like El Dorado City of Gold. It just looks ugly and the (non-collectible bonus-centric) scoring is annoying. I also haven't been able to get into Rescue 911. The layout is horrible and I get so tired of waiting for the chopper.

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
Class of 1812 is great. Victory and TX are fun too, the rest are pretty annoying to me. But you left off Black Hole which is fantastic as well as Haunted House and Big Shot, two more great tables. Gottlieb has some great tables for all the complaints.

Gottlieb was the first to use flippers and tilt, it invented modern pinball. Without Gottlieb you'd be playing plinko.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts