BlahCade 63: Recommend Tables Like You Recommend Home Theatre Test Movies

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I was just about to do that :D

Medieval Madness wouldn't be one of my top ten choices, just because of the big light sucking black hole in the middle of the table, which seems to exist with the real table in a dark room as well, but looks quite unnatural in TPA to me.

I would have gone for Junk Yard instead for it's funny, crazy theme and the overall great looking table & good use of the DMD. Of course a lot has to do with the original table (can't get good looking table from an ugly original one).

One table I would have loved to put on this list is Star Ship Troopers. The light show before and during MB is quite as good as High Speed's (PC DX11), but there is one reason for not putting it on the list. That's the LED numbers on the playfield which are used for counting the remaining bug types. Way too pale in the DX11 version.

Another quite nice table in my opinion is Last Action Hero.

With the right lighting settings I would prefer Phantom of the Opera over Dracula.

For worst tables (in terms of graphics & audio quality) it's getting difficult, because I probably fall into the trap of tables I don't like playing for other reasons.

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Just got round to listening and I have to vehemently disagree with High Speed. The answer I'd have given isn't too far off though: F-14. Seriously, needs to be in the top 10. The light show is amazeballs and it's not too shabby on a tablet either. Then there's the music.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
Agree with Red and Ted, and surprised Fish Tales was listed. Didn't think a lot of people liked that table.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Just got round to listening and I have to vehemently disagree with High Speed. The answer I'd have given isn't too far off though: F-14. Seriously, needs to be in the top 10. The light show is amazeballs and it's not too shabby on a tablet either. Then there's the music.

I'm not going to disagree with F-14, as it looks amazing with dynamic lighting. High Speed just really made an impression on me as the DX9 version pulled off some impressive lighting tricks without being dynamic. As Jared pointed out though, no such tricks for Android which is why he wasn't on board with it.

Agree with Red and Ted, and surprised Fish Tales was listed. Didn't think a lot of people liked that table.

Again, less about actually 'liking' the table, more about how well FarSight pulled it off. When we selected Fish Tales, I think it was our last cooperative pick. We had both suggested a few other tables, but something that may look good on PC might not be the case with Android. Vice versa, what may have been a highlight for Android would be just average among the PC offerings. So Fish Tales kind of made the list for ticking off the most boxes for both platforms without actually being that stellar a title.

karl

May 10, 2012
you could always to another show with separate Android and DX 11 lists. Lists are good, fun and educational

Nice listen, btw.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
you could always to another show with separate Android and DX 11 lists. Lists are good, fun and educational

Nice listen, btw.

Should we do lists like most web articles do? Where we'll promise 10, it'd be spread out over 5 different really short podcasts maximizing our clic rate and advertising potential?

I'm kidding of course!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts