Red square graphic issue

BrentMpls

Jul 9, 2012
--

[UPDATE - I've added pictures and more detail in a post below]

Hello,

I just purchased several tables and am enjoying the games. I played yesterday with no issues.

Today I fire up the app and play the monster bash and there is a rectangle of translucent red taking up maybe 1/8 of the screen.

I exited the app and turned it back on, still there. I tired multiple times and sometimes it's more of a visual distortion rather than translucent red, but same size and location.

I turned off the iPad and turned it back on, problem is still there.

I tried the Arabian knights table and it doesn't have this problem, went back to monster bash and there it is again.

Very frustrating.

Another bug I noticed is when I bought the intro pack every table would be blank white the first time I tried to play them, second load onward they have been good.

Any ideas on how to fix this graphical glitch?

Last edited:

BrentMpls

Jul 9, 2012
Last half dozen times I've load monster bash now the red hasn't been there it almost looks like a smear, a after image perhaps. Same size and location. Very distracting and disappointing.

BrentMpls

Jul 9, 2012
Funhouse free table of the month also has this problem. Black hole, Riley's, and theater of magic were good like Arabian knights.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Sounds like you have a hardware (or software) issue with your touch-screen.
The rectangle is quite possibly signifying damage to two different points on your screen, with the points being opposite corners of the rectangle.
Does this show up with any other program?

If it's hardware, you might be able to fix it.
Like fixing stuck pixels on some LCD screens, sometimes a GENTLE rubbing back and forth with firm, but not TOO much pressure over the corners of the rectangle might help.

If it's software, have you tried reloading or restoring the operating system?

BrentMpls

Jul 9, 2012
Sounds like you have a hardware (or software) issue with your touch-screen.
The rectangle is quite possibly signifying damage to two different points on your screen, with the points being opposite corners of the rectangle.
Does this show up with any other program?

If it's hardware, you might be able to fix it.
Like fixing stuck pixels on some LCD screens, sometimes a GENTLE rubbing back and forth with firm, but not TOO much pressure over the corners of the rectangle might help.

If it's software, have you tried reloading or restoring the operating system?

It's not a problem with the hardware or the iOS operating system - it doesn't show up on anything else ever, including pinball arcade on other tables. If it was a problem with the hardware or OS as you suggest I would think that I'd be seeing it elsewhere.

I just fired up Monster - for the first time today there was no red square, or blur square.

Anyway, here are some screen shots.

Issue: Red Rectangle Graphic Glitch
http://chattypics.com/files/red_jcx7orw7mq.png

Issue: Sometimes the Red isn't there, instead its a weird blurry/afterimage/color swirl type effect. Same area and size it seems. Harder to see at first, but very noticeable with motion:
http://chattypics.com/files/blur_j9rtw35m2d.png

Issue: Blur again, this time on the table. Notice the right flipper where you can see it best:
http://chattypics.com/files/blur2_c0yrh3t3lr.png

One of these conditions (red or "blur") has been occurring on Gorgar and Monster Bash every time I've loaded them today (except Monster Bash, where on its latest load didn't show either issue). I bought them in double pack yesterday - I don't remember seeing this issue once yesterday.

I've also seen this issue with the "table of the month" free to play table, Funhouse.

I've also purchased the table intro pack consisting of Blackhole, Ripley's, Theater of Magic, Tales of the Arabian Nights - so far I haven't seen this issue on ANY of these tables.

This issue is occurring on my iPad "3" (latest model). I haven't seen this issue while using any other application on my iPad.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Let me say this first... I don't have an iPad.
Heck, I don't have TPA yet. (waiting for PC release)

BUT... I am a software developer and I've debugged programs with less information available.

First thing I do when I see a problem with a program is try to see if it repeats.
In this case it does. You experience the same issues over and over.

For a visual issue like this, I'd try to see when it occurs.
In this case you say it happens only with TPA... multiple tables, and not with other applications.

That hints at it being software instead of hardware, but doesn't guarantee it.

The next step would be to see if the same application has the same issues on different hardware.
That doesn't seem to be happening. I've not seen anyone else report the same issue.

This means that whatever the issue... hardware or software, it's limited to your particular instance.

You say you have the issue every time you "load" them.
I assume that you mean just running the program, not that you uninstalled it, downloaded it again and reinstalled. (please correct me if I am mistaken)

Most applications such as this consist of many different actual files on your device. Both code and resources, such as sounds and graphics.
You don't seem to be having the issue with newly downloaded tables, nor do you describe any other issues than the on-screen appearance, so it's doesn't appear to be the core CODE for TPA.

I'm thinking that you may have some corrupted image files on your iPad, limited to some of the TPA tables.

Unless someone else has any better ideas, I recommend that you delete TPA from your iPad, re-download it and re-install it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

BrentMpls

Jul 9, 2012
In this case you say it happens only with TPA... multiple tables, and not with other applications.

Yes, it happens with the free table of the month (Funhouse) and Gorgar and Monster Bash (which were purchased in a duo bundle). This issue did not occur at all the first day I owned these games - the second day it happened consistently until later in the day when Monster Bash stopped doing it. So in short it didn't happen 100% of the time.

It has not happened (so far) on any of the tables I've purchased with the intro bundle.

The next step would be to see if the same application has the same issues on different hardware.
That doesn't seem to be happening. I've not seen anyone else report the same issue.

This means that whatever the issue... hardware or software, it's limited to your particular instance.

I didn't see any other posts on it either, which was why I made one, but I wouldn't assume it is only happening to me. Many people who own the game may not come here or bother to report issues.

You say you have the issue every time you "load" them.
I assume that you mean just running the program, not that you uninstalled it, downloaded it again and reinstalled. (please correct me if I am mistaken)

What I mean by load the table, is that when I am within the Pinball Arcade application, scrolling through the various tables, I select (or load) the table I want to play which brings me to the tables main screen.

Most applications such as this consist of many different actual files on your device. Both code and resources, such as sounds and graphics.
You don't seem to be having the issue with newly downloaded tables, nor do you describe any other issues than the on-screen appearance, so it's doesn't appear to be the core CODE for TPA.

I'm thinking that you may have some corrupted image files on your iPad, limited to some of the TPA tables.

That is possible, but if that were the case I would sure think that it would be happening every time, assuming it loads the same images every time that I load (or select) a table to play.

Unless someone else has any better ideas, I recommend that you delete TPA from your iPad, re-download it and re-install it.

I was hesitant to do this, not least of which because I didn't want to lose my scores, but I ended up trying this last night. I re-downloaded both Monster Bash and Gorgar - both have been issue free so far. I haven't re-downloaded any other of my purchased tables yet, nor the free funhouse table.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
You know, that makes me think... If you erase your scores locally, are they kept and redownloaded if they made it up to facebook?

Jake Lopez

FarSight Employee
Jun 21, 2012
@BrentMpls

Ok, this is something I've never seen, and those I've shown have never seen before either. Just to clarify, you are playing tables you have not purchased right? And are you playing with Post-Processing on or off? Also, While you're playing do you have a wifi or some sort of internet connection? Because, my first thought was add support issues, at least for Funhouse. But I'm definitely looking into this and we are trying to figure out why this is happening.

BrentMpls

Jul 9, 2012
@BrentMpls

Ok, this is something I've never seen, and those I've shown have never seen before either. Just to clarify, you are playing tables you have not purchased right? And are you playing with Post-Processing on or off? Also, While you're playing do you have a wifi or some sort of internet connection? Because, my first thought was add support issues, at least for Funhouse. But I'm definitely looking into this and we are trying to figure out why this is happening.

Hi Jake!

To clarify, I'm seeing this issue on Gorgar and Monster Bash (tables I purchased in a duo pack) and on Funhouse (free table of the month version - I have not purchased this yet). I have not seen this happen on the intro pack that I purchased (which consisted of Blackhole, Ripley's, Theater of Magic, Tales of the Arabian Nights).

As stated above, I deleted the app last night, regrettably losing my scores, and reinstalled. I've re-downloaded Gorgar and Monster bash - no problems so far. I haven't re-downloaded any other table that I've purchased, or the table of the month (free Funhouse) as of yet.

I haven't changed post-processing that I can remember, its set at whatever the default is. I can check and get back to you if that is on or off.

While I'm playing WiFi is enabled and active (I still get e-mails and whatnot while playing).

I think you are on to something with it being related to ads however - I never saw an ad when I played Funhouse, and wondered why not since it was the table of the month.

Jake Lopez

FarSight Employee
Jun 21, 2012
@BrentMpls

Thanks for getting back to me!! That is a mystery but I'm definitely glad he hasnt be reoccuring. I'm still looking into why this would happen though. Thanks again for all the input I really wanna figure this out too

Dpdropout

Jul 18, 2012
I have exactly the same problem as discribed in this thread. I'm playing on a 2 week old iPad 3 wifi 32.
I have only noticed it on Monster Bash since I bought that one. Reproducing it is easy: turn on post processing. When it's turned off, there's no problem whatsoever.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.