Getting mad with Cabinet Mode - Backglass help

VFansss

Jul 30, 2016
Hello to everyone :)

It's my first post but I've followed this section for weeks, after I've decided to build my mini-pinball cabinet (mini mainly for space purpose).
After month of little work and wrong direction, my hardware are almost finished. Than I've choosed to use PinArcade to make the software side of my project, using obliviously the NoEx mod cause has done an AMAZING job for implementing custom view and the Cabinet Mode for backglass and DMD.

Now, for almost 2 week, I'm ruining my head against configuring my backglass: I'm using 1.49.9 version of PA and the corrisponding version of FreeCam Mod (I've buyed the game,the table on sale, downloaded the mod LOT of time ago and gone offline with Steam like someone suggested cause FarSight do lot of update unnecessary for my cabinet that didn't have a fixed Wifi Card. Also I saw that they update the UI, and for like I set up my mini-pinball I can't even MOVE in the menu with my arcade buttons. Very poor solution from them).

Now I'm getting SERIOUS MAD cause I've a problem that I can't solve. Isn't an hardware problem cause I've tried it on 2 different monitor and also on a different hardware, so I'm almost sure that I didn't fully understand HOW the mod work.

I've followed the Robert Misner tutorial for setting up the game and the mod. Then I've activated the Cabinet mode, set the DMD and backglass on the SAME monitor (cause I've done a 2 monitor configuration: one for playfield and the other for DMD/Backglass). The problem?

The DMD miniscreen is scaled down, so the 'cutted' piece of the DMD from the main table display also some parts of the main table, and it look AWFUL cause when pinball move I can see moving parts of the main playfield on the DMD window. The final effect it's very unsettling.

Can't post screenshot right now, I will do it as soon as I can.

I've searched on the forum and THIS mate has the same PROBLEM (in the video the problem show up very clearly at 0:30), but the posted solution doesn't work.

The first solution isn't right cause if I resize the dmd window simply resize the total dimension, but the mini-dmd-windows keep on to displaying part of main table. The second one simply doesn't fix anything, and also keep the fix the topdown view.

I've worked a lot on my project, and I really like Pinball Arcade over other solutions. I've "builded" my cab around the mod cause I really like it, but now I've tried all the way and can't solve this very unsettling "bug".

I'm very tired of trying to tweak every settings of the game/mod without solving anything. Tried on 2 different configurations (1366*768 main and 1024*768 secondary and even on my gaming pc with 2 1920*1080 monitor) and I have the same problem.

Can someone please help me? :(

Last edited:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Mines a 3 monitor setup so I'm not sure how the 2 monitor setup works...but I know on mine there is some resolution thing I have to change in steam...to 2200 instead of 1920 so the table stretches and the screens look right. Not sure if that has anything remotely to do with your issue but I know how frustrating it is when I can't set things up correctly so I thought it worth the mention just in case it helped in any way. If I'm way out...then that just about sums up my knowledge of computers haha :)

curtis

Aug 30, 2015
[MENTION=6259]VFansss[/MENTION], I also have a two monitor configuration. Although, mine works great (except for the new UI, which is horrible!). I'm using Windows7 64-bit, and manually trimmed down for better performance, and a nVidia Geforce GT640 with the latest drivers. For the issue you're having, I wouldn't believe it's a hardware problem, but maybe a software (library, driver, etc.) problem. Just curious if you've have a properly working .NET 4.5.2 framework. Are the video card drivers up-to-date? Maybe you could try to roll back to an older video driver? Also, I believe I had to update DirectX to support version 11. Maybe try reinstalling DirectX. Just some suggestion. Good luck!

SickBoy

Mar 19, 2015
The problem is more related to old versions of the mod than anything else. I (and everyone else, though they may not remember at this point) had issues in the past where the score was cut off in various ways, and for some (in particular EM and SS tables) there was a lot of extra space that would show parts of the table. Some of it had to do with values being carried over from previously visited tables, some of it was related to imperfect dimensions for the screen capturing portion of the mod, and some of it was just unknown weirdness that I never happened to find a consistent reason for. It's not related to a 2 monitor setup, as that is what I was using up until very recently.

The ONLY proper solution you're going to find is to fully update the game and the mod, and the mod will *need* a manual re-download to work properly (see my post here for quick instructions: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...bles-in-new-ui?p=244317&viewfull=1#post244317 ). After that everything will work fantastically! 99% of the scores are perfectly fit, with just one or two that are still wonky (El Dorado EM is the main one I can think of off the top of my head).

I realize that menu navigation is completely broken for pincabs with the new UI, and that updating is probably not what you wanted to hear. My own solution was to make a little holster for a trackball mouse that I can use when navigating the menu. Not ideal, but it's all you can really do.

While you'll find no praise over the new UI from me, when I finally updated the mod properly it solved sooooo many of the headaches I had been having that it made the new UI worth it. If you're dead set against updating, then you'll just have to live with the old bugs and whatnot of the mod, unfortuantely.

A WORD OF WARNING: the mod is not up to date as of this posting, so wait until NoEx updates before changing anything!
A WORD OF WARNING: the mod is not up to date as of this posting, so wait until NoEx updates before changing anything!

If/when you update, you'll probably want to delete all your DMD save files and redo them. They might work fine as-is, but just to be safe I'd suggest a fresh start.

*EDIT*
And a quick note regarding menu navigation: if you have enough extra buttons on your cab (or don't mind adding a joystick), try using Xpadder or the like to map some to mouse direction and left clicking. With that method you'll be able to navigate without a proper mouse.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts