Request Nvidia 3d Vision Support

bugeater

Jul 10, 2012
I created an account here just to request this.

The PC version needs to have 3d Vision support! I already have the PS3/Vita and Ios versions and love them both. I'll gladly pay for all the tables all over again just to play in stereoscopic 3d. This would be bliss.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
how about a PS3 3D enabled version ? Don't get me wrong, I'd love a PC version, the graphic fidelity would be off the charts (and give my new GTX670 something to shine on...) but I wonder if it may be easier to 3D-ize the PS3 version... just copy what's there already, paste it over a bit to the left and make it go on and off really quickly, et viola ! Yes, I really do think it's that simple... :rolleyes:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
3D requires rendering the scene twice using 2 cameras. One for each eye. So it's not quite copying the scene from left to right. But it's also not overly complicated. The biggest problem is you then have to do twice the rendering in the same amount of time (60fps).

From what I've read on nVidia's 3D Vision, I believe it has some APIs to simplify that process. There would still be a performance hit.

I think 3D rendering would be cool, not sure where it is on the todo list.

JCChaconJr

Jul 10, 2012
Mike,

Aside from the API, nVidia's 3D Vision spec also requires 120Hz monitors, which will still result in 60Hz frames after the two stereoscopic frames are rendered. This might bump up any recommended specs you may have set for the PC version, but I happen to also be an avid Sim Racer, and with a mid to high end machine with triple screens, hardcore sims like iRacing don't seem to have an issue with maintaining 60 fps, even with the stereoscopic rendering.

While I would agree that it might not be too high a priority considering everything else on the project plate, it should definitely be left for future consideration, especially as PC 3D technology evolves. :)

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
I like to dream that years from now the pinball arcade will keep evolving and making sure to support these awesome noveltys like today's nvidia 3d vision. As soon as the holodeck comes out 20 or so years from now I'd like to imagine farsight will be ready for it and upgrade acordingly.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Sorry, to interrupt, but sequential stereo, like the nvidia3d, is a complete no go for pinball gaming. Plus the shutter glasses - each at 60hz - require absolute darkness to play, otherwise you're going to get mad :) at least here in Europe, where the 50hz lights cause some strange interferences.

At any given time I'd sacrifice half the resolution (due to top/down stereo images) just to be perfectly in sync and no disturbing shuttering. Cheep glasses is another plus :)

Well, I'm talking about 3DTVs connected to a PC here, but nevertheless out of sync left/right pictures will always be a problem when playing fast games like pinball...

Just my 2 cents,
Mario.

typh00n

Dec 29, 2012
i use 3dvision since it was born many years ago, never had a brightness problem, probably because my room is always dark, the smoothness also is great when my pc manages to create 60 fps for each eye obviously.
50hz light causes interferences only if you use "neon" lights that are stroboscopic, no issues with standard light bulbs or eco bulbs.

+1 for this request, if the game is d3d it should work right out of the box, the only tweak to do usually it about lights and shadows, and it's not hard if they do it on the developing stage, while is much harder to fix by ourselves if they don't do it.

if the game runs in opengl it's much harder to implement 3dvision, but not impossible as doom 3 bfg edition should be opengl and works wih 3dvision, even if i think is the only opengl game on the market that is compatible with 3dvision.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
I'd assume the image for 'the other eye' is calculated by the NVidea driver. Same as I'd assume it's ultimately a matter of implementing the proper logarythm, to calculate what the second image should look like, according to the position of the first image in virtual 3-d space, or the shift in position so to speak. I mainly base that assumption on the fact that you can adjust the intensity of the 3-d effect, witch stand in sharp contrast with the idea of two rigidly pre-determined camera angles.

Either way, the reason I don't play shooters in 3D anymore, is because even if you can trim settings down enough to maintain a descent framerate, the image still tends to get a teeny bit blurry when you move/look around.
If this game's engine turns out to work well together with NVidea's 3D (which many games that have never been tested for that purpose hapilly do), I'd suggest turning the scrolling off to prevent blurring issues. I'm not too worried about framerate drops; this is a pinball game for crying out loud, not CoD Black Opps.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I`m lucky, I have a 55 inch 3d tv which converts 2d to 3d,also It uses cinema 3d glasses not those flicking mongrels. I`ve been playing TPA in 3d from the start. its not bad !!!:)

mentaur

Aug 18, 2013
I'm on the PC beta - nVidia 3D vision is working really nicely so worry not! I too was really hoping this would work, so am relieved...

Inacito

Aug 14, 2013
I'm on the PC beta - nVidia 3D vision is working really nicely so worry not! I too was really hoping this would work, so am relieved...
I am relieved to read that. I am also looking forward to the 3D support on PS3.
I do not see the point on discussing if 3D gaming is good, expensive or whatever. If you like it, you'd already have all the equipment, so the matter is just to ask support from the software makers. It's up to them to satisfy part of their customers or not.

I personally love 3D stereo, both in movies and gaming, and many times it has decided on a movie or game.

CrazyCoder

Apr 26, 2012
I've tried Pinball FX2 in 3D on 55" TV via NVIDIA driver feature to output to the TV.

It's not playable because of the lag. If I switch 3D off, the lag disappears.

Not sure if it's the limitation of the 3D technology, game or driver specific issue. Lag is expected, but not that huge making the game unplayable.

Before spending time on implementation please spend some time for research to make sure that the game will work fine in 3D, without heavy lag.

3D TVs are also limited to 720p@60fps and 1080p@24fps. Not that fun to play Pinball in 720p on a large screen.

LamerDeluxe

May 8, 2013
I've been playing Pinball FX2 on a passive 3D monitor using TriDef3D at 1080p 60Hz with no problems at all. The 3D effect really adds a lot of clarity to pinball games, which tend to look really busy.

CrazyCoder

Apr 26, 2012
I've been playing Pinball FX2 on a passive 3D monitor using TriDef3D at 1080p 60Hz with no problems at all. The 3D effect really adds a lot of clarity to pinball games, which tend to look really busy.

Mine has active 3D, may be it provides more lag than the passive one. Also, 3D monitor natively supported by the video driver an 3D TV might be completely different in terms of the rendering delays.

Last edited:

LamerDeluxe

May 8, 2013
Mine has active 3D, may be it provides more lag than the passive one. Also, 3D monitor natively supported by the video driver an 3D TV might be completely different in terms of the rendering delays.

Could be, I've only used the old free NVidia 3D drivers with shutter glasses on a CRT monitor and it didn't have any lag either. With Pinball FX2 you do need to set the maximum number of prerendered frames to one or less in the NVidia driver, I made a separate profile for PFX2. Though this helps with lag in 2D mode as well. I don't know if your monitor does any special processing in 3D mode which could also cause lag. With a passive monitor as long as the 3D image is interleaved 3D mode doesn't even need to be enabled on the monitor to work.

CrazyCoder

Apr 26, 2012
Yes, I also use custom profile with 0 prerender frames, it might be the TV after all. It runs fine in 2D, but in 3D the lag is added, probably because of some internal processing. I run it in Game mode to avoid any additional processing.

What I've noticed is that the lag is smaller with PS3 Zen Pinball 2 in 3D mode, but it's still spoils the game.

Unfortunately, no 3D pinball for me with this hardware =(

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
+1 for nvidia 3d vision / 3d play support. just spent the morning trying to force nvidia 3d on the beta to no avail... (this used to work with every Direct 3D game with the old drivers). I then used my 3D tv built in 3D conversion, which is already pretty great, since pinball is mostly static. now native 3D support would be even cooler, of course.

INTELi7

May 22, 2013

This got my hopes up. I would love to play this game in 3D Vision. I play Pinball FX 2 a lot of the time, and the extra layer of immersion with the 3D implementation just adds so much to the overall experience. Mentaur's input made me go all "YES!", while "goforthewall"stated that the newer drivers didn't activate 3D Vision for the beta. Bummer. :(

Still, looking forward to these next couple of days. 3D or not I'm sure it will be a blast! :D
Thank you for making this happen FarSight! Mike and everyone else on the team are simply amazing!

-INTELi7

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012

whoah, I completely missed this comment... How did you get it working? which drivers? can you give us some details?! I have the official 3D Vision Play drivers and can do the stereo test and setup with no problems, BUT TPA PC beta remains 2D no matter what I try (even though my TV switches to 3D mode...)

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
I just want Oculus Rift support at some point... it would be the closest thing to standing at a table.

I plan on building a beast of a gaming PC when the consumer unit releases.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.