Which table do you prefer?

• Eight Ball Deluxe

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Centaur

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
With the recent release of Eight Ball Deluxe, I'm interested to see what the general consensus is on how it stacks up to Centaur, another Bally released only 6 months later.

As I never played either before TPA, I personally find Centaur to be the better in pretty much all aspects - sound, art, flow etc.

I wonder if nostalgia was taken out of the equation, would Centaur be more highly regarded, or is it because EBD was released later in TPA and subsequently has had a better conversion to the game? And more were produced so perhaps more people played it in real life?

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I prefer EBD over Centaur, but not by very much. I like EBD's playability and old-school feel. But Centaur has excellent artwork, sound, and a BadA-- theme, and the multi-ball mode is nicely done. Should Centaur be redone (which it probably won't be), I wonder how much better it would be from the original 2013 release in TPA.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Centaur better art and sound. 8BD slightly better rules. Both very good layouts. Hmm
Today I vote for 8BD by a hair. Ask me tomorrow you might get a different answer.

karl

May 10, 2012
Centaur better art and sound. 8BD slightly better rules. Both very good layouts. Hmm
Today I vote for 8BD by a hair. Ask me tomorrow you might get a different answer.

Agree, but what it comes down to for me is that all the shots just feel so damn good on EBD. That is the Achilles heel about Centaur for me. Love them both, though

Hugh Jorgen

Apr 3, 2013
I never played a Centaur in the wild, but it's recreation here makes me like it quite a bit.
However, my vote is for EBD.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Gotta be Centaur for me. Doesn't matter when, I'll always come back to Centaur if I don't know what table to play. It also could have something to do with the sounds that remind me of Metroid 2. I like what Kolchak sad up there though. "Ask me tomorrow and you might get a different answer. EBD is great. I don't like being told what to do so often though. I'd rather be taunted for not being fast enough

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
i love centaur. I play it about 4-5 times a week, and prolly more than any other table. but ask me again in about 12 months (when ebd is released on playstaton).

invitro

May 4, 2012
I love both, and both are easy 10/10 rating tables for me. I voted for Centaur, only because I know I still love playing it, while I don't know for sure that I'll still love EBD in a couple of years, after I've had the chance to get tired of it :).

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Both tables are classics. Centaur's pretty great and even has a 5-ball multiball, but I like the rules, artwork and gameplay of Eight Ball Deluxe slighly more. The latter has already become one of my TPA favorites; it's just one of those tables where you start playing and can't stop.

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Both are great games but Centaur is my grail game. For fracks sake, I have "bad move human" as my text message tone on my phone.

karl

May 10, 2012
It's a pretty close race. The only reason why I choose EBD is that no other game has shots that feel better and Centaur's main focus is on multiball. It's a damn cool and inventive multiball game but I still prefer EBD. Shoot me if I ever sell either of them though.
They are both high class pinball machines.

Graphics: Centaur 1
Coolness: Centaur 1
Sounds: Centaur 1

Rules: EBD 1
Layout: EBD 1
Shots: EBD 1

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
It's a pretty close race. The only reason why I choose EBD is that no other game has shots that feel better and Centaur's main focus is on multiball. It's a damn cool and inventive multiball game but I still prefer EBD. Shoot me if I ever sell either of them though.
They are both high class pinball machines.

Graphics: Centaur 1
Coolness: Centaur 1
Sounds: Centaur 1

Rules: EBD 1
Layout: EBD 1
Shots: EBD 1
interesting..... What annoys me the most in EBD is that most important shots are mostly pure luck. I need ~60 shots to switch of 6 targets. Drop target can be hit pretty reliably with bottom flipper but letters.........And upper flipper shots mostly end up in the left outline.

invitro

May 4, 2012
interesting..... What annoys me the most in EBD is that most important shots are mostly pure luck. I need ~60 shots to switch of 6 targets. Drop target can be hit pretty reliably with bottom flipper but letters.........And upper flipper shots mostly end up in the left outline.
It seems to me that the letter standups are not nearly as important as the L orbit, L drop, and 8-ball lane shots. And none of those is pure luck. I don't know if I know all the rules yet, but I do have the current #4 score :).

karl

May 10, 2012
It seems to me that the letter standups are not nearly as important as the L orbit, L drop, and 8-ball lane shots. And none of those is pure luck. I don't know if I know all the rules yet, but I do have the current #4 score :).

You've got it. Those are the ones I meant feels very satisfying to hit.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I prefer Centaur for one simple reason: It is not as brutal as EBD. At least it's a bit easier for me. Plus a 5 ball multiball is really fun.

There are quite a few shots on EBD which, if missed, are instant drains. The outlanes are quite hungry as well. Anyway, I'm having fun with the table.

Last edited:

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
sure. If you only grind for score. But since I need DELUXE as wizard goal and since DELUXE gives 3 specials for another wizard goal I'll stick with my previous claim.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts