Bug PS4 Horrible Frame Rate issues, intermittent but frequent

gapman

Sep 6, 2016
I haven't seen any other mention of this, is it just me? On most (maybe all) machines, but especially more "complicated" machines, e.g. Medieval Madness, every once in a while the frame rate drops to probably 10 FPS for anywhere between about 1 second and 5 seconds. Then it's back to normal for a random amount of time, say 1 second to a minute or more.

When the frame rate is bad, it's pretty much "just try to keep the ball in play". There's no aiming with the flippers while it's like this, and with very fast ball movement it's hard to even see where the ball is going as it "jumps" around visually.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to access anything like "disable ball shadows" or reflection, to help improve the frame rate.

I'm pretty disappointed after buying season 1 on PS4 (and having bought about 40 machines on iOS, and a pile on PS3 as well). I would have thought it would be simple to make it smooth on the PS4...

Anything I can do? Anyone else see this "glitch"?

Thanks in advance!

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
I haven't seen any other mention of this, is it just me? On most (maybe all) machines, but especially more "complicated" machines, e.g. Medieval Madness, every once in a while the frame rate drops to probably 10 FPS for anywhere between about 1 second and 5 seconds. Then it's back to normal for a random amount of time, say 1 second to a minute or more.

When the frame rate is bad, it's pretty much "just try to keep the ball in play". There's no aiming with the flippers while it's like this, and with very fast ball movement it's hard to even see where the ball is going as it "jumps" around visually.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to access anything like "disable ball shadows" or reflection, to help improve the frame rate.

I'm pretty disappointed after buying season 1 on PS4 (and having bought about 40 machines on iOS, and a pile on PS3 as well). I would have thought it would be simple to make it smooth on the PS4...

Anything I can do? Anyone else see this "glitch"?

Thanks in advance!

Two things that tend to resolve that issue is a setting on TV's that change the display mode to "Game Mode".

The other culprit could be a faulty or old HDMI cable.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
The thing about the TV mode is, if that was wrong you'd experience consistent lag, not intermittent periods. But definitely, PA is a game where any lag is immediately noticeable and a good, high response time game mode is needed on your set.

Since I haven't noticed this lag though, I wonder if your PS4 itself is getting bogged down by activity or something.

gapman

Sep 6, 2016
The thing about the TV mode is, if that was wrong you'd experience consistent lag, not intermittent periods. But definitely, PA is a game where any lag is immediately noticeable and a good, high response time game mode is needed on your set.

Since I haven't noticed this lag though, I wonder if your PS4 itself is getting bogged down by activity or something.

Yeah, I completely agree. I did have flipper lag and that was solved by setting the TV to game mode. This is an intermittent problem that happens randomly, whether in game mode or not. I should try to record it. I've wondered the same thing re: maybe my PS4 is doing something in the background. My only other theory is that that my PS4 is crippled in some way, like a problem with one of the CPU or GPU cores.

Thanks for the replies!

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Ki
Yeah, I completely agree. I did have flipper lag and that was solved by setting the TV to game mode. This is an intermittent problem that happens randomly, whether in game mode or not. I should try to record it. I've wondered the same thing re: maybe my PS4 is doing something in the background. My only other theory is that that my PS4 is crippled in some way, like a problem with one of the CPU or GPU cores.

Thanks for the replies!
Or it could be some broken code in the database. Try taking the PS4 into safe mode and select "rebuild database".

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Safe-Mode-PS4/

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.