BlahCade 73: Marvel at Timelords

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
http://blahcadepinball.com/2016/09/28/Episode-73-Marvel-at-Timelords.html

We're back with your prescription for digital pinball discussion.

In the front sections, we talk about the new tables (_Dr Who_ and _Marvel: Women of Power_) from FarSight and Zen Studios, which both should release shortly after this podcast drops.

In the back section, Chris talks about his week of working with kids on set, the magic hour, and some shows you may _not_ want to check out.
It ends abruptly: the bouncer kicked Chris and I out of the backroom because we weren't wearing the right type of shoes.

Enjoy BlahCade responsibly, and always consult your healthcare professional if symptoms persist.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
lookin forward to the doctor stuff, i may not be able to purchase until sunday...ebd and doctor who will be my first pc dlc , until ipad gets a sane spec at a sane price ill shall have to let my 100+ table collection on mobile sit idle...but xmas sales thanksgivings etc ill rebuy for pc...i much prefer a tablet really even with less advanced input and gfx

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
I have been noticing the slowdown after hitting not just regular targets, but drop targets as well. It's usually on a fairly reasonable angle that this happens.

Jack*Bot in particular: Because of this, the Bankshot from the drops to the side targets are not possible because of this slowdown from the drops.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I can say that the issue identified with targets has received attention. Should have a fix to test in the next Dr Who Android beta cut. [MENTION=3799]FlippyFloppy[/MENTION] is fast!

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
I can say that the issue identified with targets has received attention. Should have a fix to test in the next Dr Who Android beta cut. [MENTION=3799]FlippyFloppy[/MENTION] is fast!

The issue would be the same as we experienced with Dr. Who. I put in a fix for it on Jack Bot, it just needs to get pushed out to release builds.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I mentioned "The Exorcist" as a show I DVR'd but hadn't watched yet. Did so since, thought it had a really strong first episode. Felt more like a cable show than network, was sufficiently creepy, had the kind of camera work that makes me take notice. I'm not declaring it a must watch yet, but I am encouraging you all to check it out. Hopefully it becomes something akin to Hannibal, which I absolutely loved.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I mentioned "The Exorcist" as a show I DVR'd but hadn't watched yet. Did so since, thought it had a really strong first episode. Felt more like a cable show than network, was sufficiently creepy, had the kind of camera work that makes me take notice. I'm not declaring it a must watch yet, but I am encouraging you all to check it out. Hopefully it becomes something akin to Hannibal, which I absolutely loved.

I was prepared to be disappointed. But I enjoyed the first episode of the Exorcist as well.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I've not listened yet, but I made the mistake of watching the MacGyver reboot. OMG disaster with every cliché and trope imaginable and then some.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
We're getting previews for that on Australian TV. It's the lack of mullets. And acid wash jeans.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
We're getting previews for that on Australian TV. It's the lack of mullets. And acid wash jeans.

For me it was the lack of original plot (forget "good writing", I wasn't expecting that to begin with).

Where do I begin?

The absolutely predictably telegraphed plot twist?
The British bad guy (Vinnie Jones version, not posh public school version)?
The oh-so-predictable and totally uninteresting and unoriginal backgrounds of a couple of the supporting characters?
The main character looking like he's not even out of high school yet?!
The bizarre juxtaposition of doing Mythbusters-style explanation of how the DIY gadgets work, and the usual utterly incomprehensibly wrong action genre tropes and shortcuts (example: "that's only 10 minutes away" when in downtown San Franscisco typically means "that's 2 blocks away, it would be quicker to walk, forget about driving" not "some airfield on the outskirts of the city").

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
That all sounds in line with original MacGyver from my memory.

Sure, except it's been transformed from a one-man-against-the-world show, to a very generic one-man-and-his-generic-backup-team show, with writing and originality that is somehow worse than the original. The original wasn't up against the like of Scorpion, NCICSISICISSIC Los New Las Angeles Vegas Miami York, Flash, Arrow, Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil, ....

It was up against the A-Team, the Dukes Of Hazzard, and, er, what else exactly?

Anyway, I've watched an episode; that's enough to doom any network TV show these days.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
35bf030a0b7c61b10531754455fa66c9.png

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.