The William's Pinball Hall of Fame VS The Pinball Arcade Graphic Comparisons

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
http://www.videogameobsession.com/etc/Farsight/WPHOF_vs_TPA.gif

I made a comparison picture to show the lighting differences and other tweaks Farsight has made.
Unfortunately GIF by nature restricts the colors to 256 causing some dithering, but you can still tell there is a huge amount of improvement.

TPAvsWPHOF.jpg

Here are the 1080p sources for both too:
http://www.videogameobsession.com/etc/Farsight/TOTAN-1080p-TPA.jpg
http://www.videogameobsession.com/etc/Farsight/TOTAN-1080p-WPHOF-01.jpg

I have been trying to find more 1080p snapshots of the new tables, but all I could find were some Mac shots (posted on here), They don't appear to have dynamic lighting though.
I've love to see more side by side comparisons with more tables.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Nice comparison to prove that the PHOF tables that are re-released on The Pinball Arcade are not just straight ports and are well worth purchasing again.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
See the captive balls on the left? They are now grey non chromed like WHOF BOOOO! and the artwork should be brighter, thats what makes pinballs so great POPPING GRAPHICS! like the late '80s early '90s albiet it makes the lights brighter it over washes the BEATIFUL ART.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
See the captive balls on the left? They are now grey non chromed like WHOF BOOOO! and the artwork should be brighter, thats what makes pinballs so great POPPING GRAPHICS! like the late '80s early '90s albiet it makes the lights brighter it over washes the BEATIFUL ART.

The captive balls on TPA (bottom pic) look Chrome to me...the balls on PHOF (top pic) were the ones that looked grey.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
yes in these pictures. But NOW when you play the captive balls look like the main ball from PHoF. They looked nice and chrome before :(

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
yes in these pictures. But NOW when you play the captive balls look like the main ball from PHoF. They looked nice and chrome before :(

I believe that was an oversight by the artist and should be fixed with next month's title update.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
in those pictures But NOW when you play the captive balls look like the main ball from PHoF. I would like to see comparisons with all the PHoF TPBA conversion tables.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Yep I just re-checked thier blurry, probably worse than previously described. This was the first diffrence I noticed in graphical diffrence besides other obious thing CLEARER RAMPS, DARKER TABLE just better overall and YES! EVERY BALL CHROME! WHAAA??? Not any more....Id rather they get thier ACHSSS'ESS in gear and please the customers who are um...supporting this project,Sure more tables good and you cant please the masses, but REALLY! Take my money for something then make it worse?

F

Franky

Ramps, balls, etc... look much nicer, crispier in the tpa version but the phof original looking playfield wins it easily. it's way more authentic then the dirty one. Just look at the drawing of the princess under the genie - this is the exact way it looks on the playfield and also the genie in the phof version looks almost exactly like the genie on the real table. The genie in the tpa version looks like a character from a computer game. The old one really looks like it's made out of plastic - like the real thing.

A very good idea to do this comparison to see how colorful the original playfield is.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
There's a cleaned and freshly-waxed TotAN near me...it looks a lot more like the TPA version than the PHOF version, at least under the normal lighting conditions for the room it's in.

All this argument only proves that FS will eventually have to put in an ambient brightness slider (on the platforms that support dynamic lighting) so everyone can set the playfield lighting level wherever s/he pleases, or else hear complaints from users from here to eternity.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
This is going to happen no matter what they do. We are impossible to please.
I was referring to this specific lighting issue, but I hear you. Although I'd be a lot closer to pleased if Microsoft would approve the damned title update for the 360 already.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Wow, the TPA version is as pretty as a christmas tree!

I really wonder how No Good Gofers will look once it's coming to TPA. I love the table, but it's very confusing visually. Probably a similar jump like RBION iOS vs console - the better lighting will dampen some of the crazy playfield art and make the actual table layout easier to see.

By the way, PinBot, Taxi and Whirlwind still look very nice, at least on the 360 version, I'm looking forward to their TPA renditions :)

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Ramps, balls, etc... look much nicer, crispier in the tpa version but the phof original looking playfield wins it easily. it's way more authentic then the dirty one. Just look at the drawing of the princess under the genie - this is the exact way it looks on the playfield and also the genie in the phof version looks almost exactly like the genie on the real table. The genie in the tpa version looks like a character from a computer game. The old one really looks like it's made out of plastic - like the real thing.

A very good idea to do this comparison to see how colorful the original playfield is.

I guess it really depends on the location setting in which you played the tables. I played most of mine in arcades and they kept all of their pins in a darker area to try and eliminate
glare from the lights. I think the TPA table now looks closer to that experience.

I agree it would be cool if they could make a day/night setting toggle to make everyone happy, but if they have to leave it one or the other I am much happier with
the way it is now. The lamp and the ramps look damn amazing to me! It's looking like something that should leave on display when selling HD TV's. It's really eye catching!

F

Franky

There's a cleaned and freshly-waxed TotAN near me...it looks a lot more like the TPA version

what did you use for waxing? shoe polish?

This is the real table:

123a5ir.jpg

It looks almost the same as the phof version, again compare the drawing of the princess.

F

Franky

in "real" it looks even more colorful. i owned 2 of them and i've serviced them 100x times - please stop comparing real playfields with playfields in a dark room - it makes no sense.
this is an original playfield of a tri-zone i'm selling - and THIS is what playfields in real life look like, just to get an idea:

1248sue.jpg

and NOT like this:

10pr7eu.jpg

Franky

Last edited:

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
Not having a flash doesn't mean a dark room. But you can see the effect the flash is having on that photo.

I want both versions of the tables. I really like the colorful art and it'd be a shame if we can't see it and preserve it. But I also like the way to tables look in their "dark" state when I'm playing the game on my PS3, especially Bride of Pinbot. (Except when it zooms in on her face during Metamorphosis.)

F

Franky

Unfortunately i don't have one right now because i would really take it apart just to show how the playfield really looks - but i've sold it cause i don't like the game at all. I don't think we will get the original versions of the tables - it's to complicated and to much work.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts