Old Sterns

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
Here is some interesting thing about old Stern tables: on STPA FB pr (i'm not sure if it is FS's employee or it is Jared from Stern inc. pr) said:
We consider Data East and SEGA Pinball to be STERN today.
1986-2016 - All Stern Pinball.
Even though those titles were released under Data East and SEGA at the time, it's been the same "company" since 1986, just different names.
Also Stern celebrated 30 years anniversary this year - not 40 in 2017.
but actually everyone used to ipdb know: here was Stern Electronics (1977-1984) period with good tables also, so question is:what about this era tables for STPA. We have Flight 2000 in TPA.

Last edited:

karl

May 10, 2012
Stern does not consider Stern Electronics to be the same company because that one was started by Sam Stern. (Old Williams legend and the father of Gary Stern)

Data East is the beginning of what we consider The modern Stern. It was Started by Gary Stern and Joe Kaminkow. Software designer Lonnie D Ropp was also there from the first Data East machine, Lazer War. After a few years, Sega bought the company from Stern,(still run by Gary Stern etc) but when Pinball was hurting bad in late 90' and Sega did not make any money from the pinball division, Gary Stern bought the company back.

Stern do own the rights to Stern Electronics also, and they did ask the pinball community if a re-release of a Stern Electronics Pinball machine would be something they would be interested in. (Only problem with that is that they would probably ask roughly the same price as any other new Stern for it ;) )

In other words, Stern Electronics machines would probably be a part of future tables in SPA and not TPA, since Stern own the rights.

Only thing I do know is that I would like many more of them. I prefer those before the Data East/Sega machines. The handful I have played are really fun machines.
Many of them are designed by the legend Harry Williams. Flight 2000 is one of those

Last edited:

karl

May 10, 2012
then why FS included all previously released Stern tables in SPA promo video except F2K ?

If that is true, I agree that it is a bit strange, but as I said Stern does not see Stern Electronics as a part of their company usually, so that could also be a reason why they do not focus on those machines when launching the app. But in some cases they have also bragged about that they have the rights for the old machines.

Where future re-creations of old Stern electronics will end up is of course pure guessing. But judging by how Stern think and how they usually act, I have a strong feeling that they would want the old Stern Tables in their own app or in the worst case not focus on them at first, but not allow TPA to release them in the normal app either :(

I hope I am wrong.
Would love to see more of them as soon as possible

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
As the only Stern Electronics release, I assume that F2K did not sell well because we've yet to see any others. Just my personal opinion but I don't care for that table. It would have worked better as a narrow body. The wide body layout slows things down too much but, like all the other companies at the time, wide body was the thing. I would have rather had Seawitch, Nine Ball, Meteor and especially...Catacomb.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.