What 11k table is Jay Obernolte talking about in the ST:TNG Kickstarter Video?

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I figured I'd just start a thread about this instead of it taking up space in the ST:TNG ones.

At the 3:04 mark in the ST:TNG Kickstarter Video Jay Obernolte says "Another thing that's disappointing to me is how expensive pinball has gotten. We're all pinball aficionados here and we were shopping for a pinball table we wanted the other day and I was just shocked to discover the cheapest one we could find was over eleven thousand dollars."

What table is he talking about? I'm guessing 1998's Cactus Canyon from Bally/Williams. This was the last traditional and WPC pinball from them and only around 900 were manufactured. It is quite rare and VERY expensive sometimes selling for into the teens of thousands. Even though the software was not quite "finished" it was still a very playable table and a lot of fun. I played one many years ago at Hersheypark, PA and haven't seen one since. When Jay talks about "preserving pinball" this is perfect example of an enjoyable pinball that most will never get to play in real life and would be well worth digitizing.

Here's a great gameplay video from PAPA (pinball.org) and, please, post your guesses whether you agree with me or not.

http://pinball.org/videos/gameplay-videos/cactus-canyon/

Last edited:

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
Cactus Canyon looks like the most likely candidate, unless we hear different from FarSight. I'd sure love to have that on my Xbox.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Cactus Canyon looks like the most likely candidate, unless we hear different from FarSight. I'd sure love to have that on my Xbox.

That's my guess. Other machines like BBB (especially an original) and Pinball Circus (only 3 ever made) would probably cost a lot more. The only other I can think of in this range is Addams Family Special Collector's Edition (better known as TAF Gold). However, not only is TAF an impossible license, there's no reason to get the gold version even if they managed to resolve the issue.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
That's my guess. Other machines like BBB (especially an original) and Pinball Circus (only 3 ever made) would probably cost a lot more. The only other I can think of in this range is Addams Family Special Collector's Edition (better known as TAF Gold). However, not only is TAF an impossible license, there's no reason to get the gold version even if they managed to resolve the issue.

I would love to know what the issues are with Addams Family. If it is just Raul Julia, cut his face out. John Astin was way better as Gomez anyway. Maybe we could get his likeness put in there. I can't imagine there are many fans of the movies that would be upset if they did such a thing.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I would love to know what the issues are with Addams Family. If it is just Raul Julia, cut his face out. John Astin was way better as Gomez anyway. Maybe we could get his likeness put in there. I can't imagine there are many fans of the movies that would be upset if they did such a thing.

The Astin idea is a good one, though Julia's voice was also used extensively. Not sure if the ban includes the voice as well. That might not matter, though, as there are limits as to what is legally enforceable in wills. If a man leaves his son a house, with the stipulation the son not sell it, he can sell it anyway without legal reprisal. Once someone takes possession of property, they can do what they want with it. That may apply to likeness rights as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.