Red and Ted's roadshow

gluefoot

Jul 13, 2012
Hi guys,

Love this game, i was wondering if u ever looked at the possibility of making one of my all time favourite tables Red and Ted's roadshow.

This table is so much fun i think it will be a great addition to the pinball arcade.

greetz Gluefoot

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I like this game too, probably the closest we'll get to a Funhouse sequel. However, you've got Carlene Carter's voice, likeness (?) and song on it, but if FS was able to get Monster Bash and Creature From the Black Lagoon, I would hope this would also be in the realm of the possible.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I'm a complete Lawlor fanboy so yeah, I definitely want it! I love the main theme tune (is there a type of music Chris Granner can't do?), the cheery colors, the winding trails and loops, and I've always enjoyed how chatty the Lawlor tables are.

I have to say, though, I've never had a problem with Rudy, but Red and Ted look really ridiculous, even more than the already pretty cheesy generic toy troll on Rollercoaster Tycoon, but oh well ;) In the end, I always end up liking the wackier design choices like the dodgy graphic design on RBION (I mean, it even has Comic Sans on it!) or the voices on Whirlwind rather than the more elegant, serious designs on TOM for example.

I also really like the theme, Lawlor has always chosen good themes (earthquake, wind, golfing, construction, world travel, mystery etc) that fit the table goals really well.

...and while he certainly used a lot of table elements over and over again, they feel different enough to all warrant coming to TPA, at least in my humble opinion ;)

Last edited:

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
There is a real Road Show close to where I live, mind you it is in bad shape it was still fun to play. I would love to see this game make it to Pinball Arcade.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Nice :)

How true is Lawlors description of "there's so much more to the game than you can get to on one credit" when he talks about buy-in? In the video he makes it sound like a rather cheap way to get you to spend more money, but this is one of those typical "massive earnings!" promo videos, so I was wondering how much this affects the game in reality.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Nice :)

How true is Lawlors description of "there's so much more to the game than you can get to on one credit" when he talks about buy-in? In the video he makes it sound like a rather cheap way to get you to spend more money, but this is one of those typical "massive earnings!" promo videos, so I was wondering how much this affects the game in reality.
I'm wondering that too. Are there modes and features that are locked unless you buy in?
Whether there are or not, this is another game where FS really needs to incorporate buy-in options or the experience suffers.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Thats just marketing talk: "there is more in this game than you can see on 3 balls. "

From pinball.org:
Road Show also introduces the 1/2 credit buy-in (nothing special about it, just a cheap extra ball)

You can buy-in until you reach the West Coast, for 1/2 credit each time. You don't get anything special for buying in.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
I played this one a few times in an arcade and it is a very good table, with a plethora of shots and all around excellent gameplay. This table definitely needs to be released in TPA sometime.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Thats just marketing talk: "there is more in this game than you can see on 3 balls. "

From pinball.org:
Road Show also introduces the 1/2 credit buy-in (nothing special about it, just a cheap extra ball)

You can buy-in until you reach the West Coast, for 1/2 credit each time. You don't get anything special for buying in.

Yeah, I kinda assumed it wouldn't have that much effect on the game. A pinball machine isn't like an iOS freemium game where you can keep dangling a carrot in players faces like that. They just like to brag about how much money this will make the arcade operators ;)

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I played this one a few times in an arcade and it is a very good table, with a plethora of shots and all around excellent gameplay. This table definitely needs to be released in TPA sometime.
TPA needs to support Buy-in/Operator's screens, or this won't work too well. When buy-in is prominently mentioned in marketing materials, it's an important feature.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
TPA needs to support Buy-in/Operator's screens, or this won't work too well. When buy-in is prominently mentioned in marketing materials, it's an important feature.

Farsight could probably just remove that feature in the operators menu, in fact if I remember correctly from Visual Pinball I'm almost sure you can do that with all Buy-in tables.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Farsight could probably just remove that feature in the operators menu, in fact if I remember correctly from Visual Pinball I'm almost sure you can do that with all Buy-in tables.

Buy-ins were an integral part of the table though which is why (at least at my location) they were only half a credit. You had to travel through all of the modes linearly and there was no stacking. Basically, there was almost no way that you would be able to get through all of the game without using the buy-in feature. However, as TPA seems to be very generous with extra balls, maybe they could be used as a substitute to the need to buy-in.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
FS really should incorporate operator's menus at some point. Bobby said they will use the menu-enabled TZ kickstarter rewards as a test to see how well it works (or doesn't work). Let's hope the test is successful, as just about every other semi-serious pinball program, including Zen, has this feature.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
You may be right, but why would they want to?
I dont want unlimited buy-in as the default setting for a table. If theres an operator menu sure, but otherwise limit the max amount of extra balls/buy in to a certain amount. I want the wizard mode in a game to mean something. What fun would Atlantis be if you can just "buy" your way there with unlimited virtual credits.

In regards to operator menu, does someone here actually use those? I only use zens for my 6 yr old.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
In regards to operator menu, does someone here actually use those? I only use zens for my 6 yr old.
I played a lot more pinball in college than my friends did, and so to make games more even, I'd set the table to 7 balls. They'd play all 7 balls, and I'd let the first 4 balls drain and play the last 3. As they improved, we set the table to 6 balls, 5 balls, and so on until we were roughly evenly matched.

The way I've been playing the real tables lately, the handicap should probably go the other way... :rolleyes:

David Smith

Feb 28, 2012
Would love to see this table in TPA, it's one of my favourites. And it's perfectly possible to make it to the West Coast (wizard mode) in a standard 3-ball game without using the buy-in feature. With specials and replays awarding extra balls in TPA's freeplay mode, it should be a doddle.

Jul 2, 2012
I too would love to see Road Show in TPA (I have the real thing at home, my first pinball machine and I'm totally in love with it). Funhouse just begs to have its unofficial sequel next to it and it would be nice to have a "reference game" when I'm repairing mine :cool:

Shaker motor should be simulated on mobile devices with their vibration motor.

Some were wondering if it's really necessary to buy in to see it all - it's hard to start Super Payday (the wizard mode on the west coast) since you can't skip any steps but it is quite easy to lite extra balls in this game (spin the Blast wheel, collect blasts a few times, skill shot in Flying Rocks, max bridge-outs once per game). You can even buy them for points at Bob's souvenir bunker (very rarely though, I've never seen it myself). I have mine set to 3-ball free play, replays give just the animation and specials award extra balls. No buy-ins. Careful aiming and nudging is everything in RS - the left outlane is particularly hungry with the little flipper positioned so near it. Always go for ramps, you can reach the next city with just a few shots.

Last edited:

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
This pin was a favorite for truckers back in the day. I remember many a truck stop with Road Show in it,and the city references are pretty much spot on! (NYC,Ohio,Chicago)...

I'd love for this to be a part of TPA!

Members online

Members online