@ Devs: Pricing and Ghostbusters

Ecktown

Jul 15, 2016
I have already posted something along these lines on the Steam forum but I was hoping for an answer before I buy anything in SPA so I am trying my luck here as well.

I find the pricing to be a bit unfair to be honest because the bundles don't help one bit when you already own the old tables as Steam (I think) won't realise that you already own most of the table as they have different IDs. Basically you are forced to pay full price for the new tables when you are a loyal customer which just does not seem very fair.

Could a developer please clarify how this is supposed to work? Maybe Steam realises this after all and you just need to pay for the tables that you do not own and get the discount? After all Steam says: "Bundles are a special discount on a set of products. If you already own some of the products contained in the bundle, purchasing the bundle will allow you to "complete the set", paying only for the products you don't already own while still receiving the full bundle discount on each of those products."

However as far as I understand this won't work in this special situation...

Thank you in advance for an answer!

Apart from that, could someone confirm that Ghostbusters is really added to the second bundle for free? This at lease would make it slightly cheaper than buying the new tables seperately...

I really hope that a dev answers this because I will wait with buying anything before this is clarified. Due to the different IDs of the DLCs this is extremely confusing...

Edit: Putting just the new tables (e.g. two tables each) in one bundle which grants the same discount would of course get rid of this problem but then nobody would buy the old tables, right? ;-)

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I don't know about European pricing, but in the US the bundles are $19.99, and the new tables are $9.99 each; and as things stand there will be 2 "new" tables per bundle once GB is released (Star Trek+AC/DC and Mustang+GB).

So buying the new tables separately comes to $39.96, as opposed to $39.98 for buying the bundles.

I get why it seems wrong, but from my perspective, the bundles are simply paying for the new tables and getting the TPA tables thrown in for free.

If you already own the TPA tables, no point in getting the bundles, just buy the new tables separately. Once GB is released, I imagine future new tables will all be single-DLC $9.99 tables. Maybe there will be more "legacy" DE/Sega/Stern tables released and there will eventually be new bundles.

Ecktown

Jul 15, 2016
Yes, I know that on the whole the bundles are a really good deal - for anyone who does not own any of the tables...
Take a close look at this sentence "If you already own some of the products contained in the bundle, purchasing the bundle will allow you to "complete the set", paying only for the products you don't already own while still receiving the full bundle discount on each of those products." - This does not seem to happen due to the different IDs which is a bit disappointing. You should be able to buy the new tables by buying the bundle with the discount applied (while not paying at all for the tables you already have).

Ecktown

Jul 15, 2016
Yes, I know that on the whole the bundles are a really good deal - for anyone who does not own any of the tables but take a close look at this sentence "If you already own some of the products contained in the bundle, purchasing the bundle will allow you to "complete the set", paying only for the products you don't already own while still receiving the full bundle discount on each of those products." - This does not seem to happen due to the different IDs which is a bit disappointing. You should be able to buy the new tables by buying the bundle with the discount applied to the price of the new tables (while not paying at all for the tables you already have).

Edit: Sorry for the double posting - just wanted to add a bit in the last sentence, did something wrong and now I can't delete the first post :-(

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I think you might be better off buying the bundles for the same price as just the new pins. I think that in the future, SPA might be more likely to get updates than say a two year old pin from TPA. What if SPA gets new physics or ball spin? Which game will get the update first (if at all)?

This is based on nothing from FS. It's just me being paranoid.

Ecktown

Jul 15, 2016
You are right of course but that's what I want to do :) It's just that Steam should realise that I already own most of the tables of that bundle so that I don't have to pay for them a second time :) I already own them in any case and can play them in SPA...

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
You are right of course but that's what I want to do :) It's just that Steam should realise that I already own most of the tables of that bundle so that I don't have to pay for them a second time :) I already own them in any case and can play them in SPA...

True but then how will Steam re-calculate the cost of the bundle? If it's by crediting the cost of the removed tables, you're getting 2 new tables for considerably less than their sticker price, and I'm pretty sure Farsight and Stern don't want people doing that. If it's by adding up the cost of the items you don't own in the bundle (new tables), it comes to pretty much the same price as the bundle anyway....

Ecktown

Jul 15, 2016
All true but apparently Steam wants this. Otherwise there would not be this bundle policy where you get the discount on the products you don't have and don't have to pay the products you do already own.

I just would like this to be clarified as otherwise the generous gesture from Farsight that you don't have to pay for the tables you already own is not so generous after all because why would we want to play them in SPA in the first place when TPA runs better?

I guess most of us will just want to buy the new tables and won't profit at all from the bundles. If it's like I think it is I will buy the new Stern tables for the full price as this would be cheaper than buying the bundle except for the second bundle if Ghostbusters will be included in this for free.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Don't be surprised if you are told they are not exactly the same. Improved graphics or physics or something like that. I think you are wasting your time. But good luck.

Ecktown

Jul 15, 2016
Well, even that would be an interesting information which would make me consider buying the bundles :) So far I haven't noticed any difference. They just look slightly different but I think this is due to the lighting in SPA.

Tripredacus

Sep 9, 2012
Maybe Steam realises this after all and you just need to pay for the tables that you do not own and get the discount? After all Steam says: "Bundles are a special discount on a set of products. If you already own some of the products contained in the bundle, purchasing the bundle will allow you to "complete the set", paying only for the products you don't already own while still receiving the full bundle discount on each of those products."

It is not just SPA that may have this issue. I found it also with other games, where DLC bundles are not removed from the calculation (yes buying them again). The one I can think of is some tables from Pinball FX 2. because it did not discount the ones already owned, it has cost them a sale from me.

EDIT: regarding SPA vs TPA having the same, well you are SOL if you have one vs the other already. I already have some on multiple platform from PS2, two on PS3 and now on PC. At least in SPA, for now, they say there are 2 free tables a month, so you have twice the chance of being able to play one you already have. It would be nice if they offered a way to have a discount, if you had the old pack in TPA, have a big discount on buying it again in SPA... it IS possible, but I doubt they would do it.

Last edited:

Ecktown

Jul 15, 2016
I did not know that this problem also exists with FX2. Good to know. I guess I am going to buy the bundles to be on the safe side. It would still be great to know if Ghostbusters is really added for free when it is available.

If I buy the second bundle plus the table later on for the full price that would be a bit too much...

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Someone messed up the pricing for the UK based Android release. I'm guessing Google.
The Mustang standalone pack is $9.99 yet they are trying to charge £9.89 which isn't an accurate conversion rate.
The $4.99 tables are also messed up converting at £4.89.

Only ACDC and Star Trek have correct pricing. Farsight have been made aware.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
sounds about right baron on steam i checked the price of standlone ac/dc it was 7 pounds which i consider reasonable for a table ive lusted after(and thretend to rob seasn don calros for)

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
I just bought Pack 1 and 2 even though I have all seasons in PBA. People are way to sensitive to prices, if you play one table 10 times it has come down to the same cost as playing it in an arcade.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Some people live on a budget. And it has been said numerous times: Although TPA/SPA is great, it's not the same like playing at the real thing.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
a budget? you ****in pesants! i get what i pay for with tpa... spa someone needs to buy me

real machines are of course a real treat worth paying for but i knew who farsight and tpa/spa/after dark was before i laid down apenny

i dont expect mostto be too happy with spa, but i find the irksome gottlieb haters annoying...i havent been abletoplay tpa in well over a year since my ****s locked up on ios so im rocking a gifted season 6 on steam....i want people to remember the week they discovered tpa and found kindered spirits on this forum

ihave no point i was changing topic all threw this **** happy new year boys and girls

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Some people live on a budget. And it has been said numerous times: Although TPA/SPA is great, it's not the same like playing at the real thing.

Sure, but playing video games is not a human right either :p
I mean, even if you live on a budget you can save up 10 dollars? Plus, Farsight and Stern probably wants to make some money as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts