BlahCade 88: Arcooda Been a Pinball Wizard

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
http://blahcadepinball.com/2017/02/14/Episode-88-Arcooda-Been-a-Pinball-Wizard.html

This episode is all about Arcooda. We delve deep into the news that has been released about the platform so far, and get speculating like we do best.

Let us know what you think about the episode, and your thoughts about the Arcooda platform in general: good or constructive.

If you have any ideas about stuff we should talk about, contact us using the Social links.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
At CES2017 the last two producers of 3D TVs said they're discontinuing the feature, and as chris mentioned those panels don't work in portrait. I'd guess they'd want to implement BAM (better arcade mode) for the face tracking 3D effect.

as far as I am aware Pro pinball still needs controller support to get varible strength nudges, arcooda doesn't list how it handles nudging yet.

If I were to guess on how the backglass would work: I'd take Freezy's method of 'grabbing the texture' they use for mirroring the DMD and repurpose it for the backglass. How it handles all the silly form factors? who knows.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
At CES2017 the last two producers of 3D TVs said they're discontinuing the feature, and as chris mentioned those panels don't work in portrait. I'd guess they'd want to implement BAM (better arcade mode) for the face tracking 3D effect.

as far as I am aware Pro pinball still needs controller support to get varible strength nudges, arcooda doesn't list how it handles nudging yet.

If I were to guess on how the backglass would work: I'd take Freezy's method of 'grabbing the texture' they use for mirroring the DMD and repurpose it for the backglass. How it handles all the silly form factors? who knows.
Interesting info! Thanks for sharing, mate.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
You mentioned art refreshes, and I had said silly form factors so here's the way the backglass textures are in-game

sTsgRbD.jpg

irrelevant filenames, used these textures for preview icons on youtube
They range from 512x512, to 2048x2048.

The design challenge here would be to...
1) include the speaker area on tables that it isn't included [or the reverse]
2) putting the score displays up on the new monitor
3) non-dmd games, iirc, don't have score displays so for example: what's a 4 player Alpha-numeric table going to look like?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hey Relaxation, thanks posting those backglass images, as it gave us a show topic in the very next podcast!

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
During the podcast you discuss the "NOEX Camera Mod" available here and state that you don't think that the mod provides true DMD support for cabinets. In fact, with the current version of the mod the DMD is movable and resizable and can be placed on any monitor available to your cabinet. The backglass, though, is just a static PNG file.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
During the podcast you discuss the "NOEX Camera Mod" available here and state that you don't think that the mod provides true DMD support for cabinets. In fact, with the current version of the mod the DMD is movable and resizable and can be placed on any monitor available to your cabinet. The backglass, though, is just a static PNG file.

Also using freezy's dmdext and NoExs mod you can also use a real DMD too.

Pro Pinball also can be used with 3 screens and/or a real DMD. They also provide a messaging interface to allow the game events to work with real pin hardware. One thing that a big let down of the final Pro Pinball release is the cab view is not a proper render (it is a software adjusted view of one of the other renders), and the upper playfield is so blurred. I hope they will release a real render at some point as I backed the game at 100$. If they end up only providing a good cab render for this commercial product then that will Pi*s a lot of people off.

Great listen by the way. Enjoyed it immensely. :).

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
That's awesome! Thanks for the correction. We'll mention this today when we record.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Also using freezy's dmdext and NoExs mod you can also use a real DMD too.

Pro Pinball also can be used with 3 screens and/or a real DMD. They also provide a messaging interface to allow the game events to work with real pin hardware. One thing that a big let down of the final Pro Pinball release is the cab view is not a proper render (it is a software adjusted view of one of the other renders), and the upper playfield is so blurred. I hope they will release a real render at some point as I backed the game at 100$. If they end up only providing a good cab render for this commercial product then that will Pi*s a lot of people off.

Great listen by the way. Enjoyed it immensely. :).
This will get a mention today as well. Thanks mate.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Hey Relaxation, thanks posting those backglass images, as it gave us a show topic in the very next podcast!

I got around to playing again and noticed this in the patch notes
Version 1.56.7 (11/25/16)
- Updated Backglasses on these tables:
The Addams Family, Attack From Mars, Monster Bash, Star Trek, Twilight Zone.

So have a gander for yourself [MENTION=459]jaredmorgs[/MENTION] [MENTION=134]shutyertrap[/MENTION]

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
... On a positive note it is good they are revising them.

Comparing to what some of them were it is an improvement.

I don't see major differences between ST and TAF backglasses between DX versions at this time. They may have had a resolution bump, but ST is still half the resolution of the listed others.

Gosh why did the spoon and cannon get so rich but the rocket/pyramid get so blown out, on TZ

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Jared, as my Australia expert, may I ask you a question. Have you ever seen the movie Picnic at Hanging Rock? The atmosphere and mystery of this movie mesmerizes me. My wife finds it boring as sh*t. Was it popular in Australia? Do you know if it is based on a true story? I find conflicting reports on the web. Of course, if you haven't seen or heard of it, you may disregard this post in its entirety. Thanks

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Jared, as my Australia expert, may I ask you a question. Have you ever seen the movie Picnic at Hanging Rock? The atmosphere and mystery of this movie mesmerizes me. My wife finds it boring as sh*t. Was it popular in Australia? Do you know if it is based on a true story? I find conflicting reports on the web. Of course, if you haven't seen or heard of it, you may disregard this post in its entirety. Thanks

I think the movie won several film awards here, so it was definitely popular.

I've never seen it personally, so I can't really comment on whether I like it or not.

I'm also not certain if it was a true story or not.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Kolchak , came out in 1975.fictional movie . seen it back then ,good mystery movie ,won a lot of awards . i think it was directors Peter Weirs early movies.:cool:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Thanks wolf. I knew it was a Peter Weir, but not much else. I really like the way it's shot. The Australian wildlife and landscape is just beautiful and eerie at the same time in this flick.
I first saw it in the early 1980's and recall discussing it with my friends. We agreed the young ladies were hot in an early 1900's way. But we agreed on very little else. I have seen it a few of times since then and notice new little things each time. A very curious film.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
here is a little fact for you Kolchak , Sigrid Thornton who is in this movie has a great mum . back in the 1960`s women were not allowed in the bar of the pubs , Merle is Sigrids mum . Merle and a friend from UNI handcuffed themselves to the bar at the Regatta Hotel .after that laws were changed . Merle became a school teacher .:cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
oh sh.. Sigrid was not in this film , I got her mixed up with one of the other girls , what a DIPSTICK I am . but the story of her mum , that is true !!!! :eek:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
oh sh.. Sigrid was not in this film , I got her mixed up with one of the other girls , what a DIPSTICK I am . but the story of her mum , that is true !!!! :eek:
Totally true. I think they've kept the bar rail in the pub to this day. I used to go to The Regatta when I lived in Toowong about 10 years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts