Pinball Arcade Version 1.16 Now live on PSN/PS4 (Dual Light Slider added)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Please discuss the changes for Update 1.16 or comments about the current state of Pinball Arcade.

Here's what I've noticed;

1. Dual lighting sliders implimented (awesome!)

2. Lighting settings are now saved for each table. (Cool!)

3. The table bulbs still look really dim and the colors don't pop like they used to, or even like they do on Stern Pinball Arcade.

4. What happened to The Creature from the Black Lagoon?!? This was buggy in 1.15, but now it's a complete mess! :( I am really saddened by this as CFTBL is my favorite table and I was unhappy with the bugs (missing Creature) on 1.15, and waited 3+ months for the fix. Now it's taken a huge step into glitchville.

5. I've always thought the pinball looked too dark with the Room brightness down, but now its nearly impossible to see it when it's moving. Im guessing this has to do with the overall lack of table bulb brightness and lack of vivid colors like we sas with version 1.14 and below.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
They also put creature in this months pinball arcade tournament. I mean they paid good money to update on Sony Network now they have to make sure as many as possible get a good look at and have to play creature. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MIK

Oct 17, 2016
1.16 is the US version, 1.17 is the PAL version.

Boxy thing on the ramp of Circus Voltaire looks to be fixed. No change with the Strobe Light I'm afraid but the table colours look much better now...

They asked for a photo of the download last time which we missed, here's 1.17 download size...
pinball_arcade_ps4_v1_17.jpg

*** All subject to change as I'm messing about at the moment, but after an hour... ***
I have Room Brightness 100% and the Bulb Brightness on 40% at the moment. As is the tables them self, (and not the floor/walls) look more like Pro Pinball, as in much darker. It's like looking at them again for the very first time! It's like forget what you know and have seen before from other versions, think Pro Pinball for brightness which is a dark pinball sim and that's the impression I'm getting from PS4 TPA with my settings at the mo...

Some tables like Dracula & Scared Stiff look smart as F**K with Room 100% & Bulb 40%. The bulb definition looks good on my screen anyway. If the bulb setting is too high the back light box and coin slot definition will look nasty so watch out for that.
Load up Haunted House and you will see it looks darker than it used to be..., but look at it again. It looks smart.

If I'm not mistaken the ball speed feels quicker.

Issues so far:
Scared Stiff in-game music cutting out.
Black Hole lower field score display is still messy and hard to read.
Elvira PM, some reflective line over her face by the flippers as if the glass has been put back on the table - slightly annoying as it spoils that image.
With my current lighting the ball can look dull on some tables, other times it looks spot on with say Dracula.

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Issues so far:

Scared Stiff in-game music cutting out.
Black Hole lower field score display is still messy and hard to read.
Elvira PM, some reflective line over her face by the flippers as if the glass has been put back on the table - slightly annoying as it spoils that image.
With my current lighting the ball can look dull on some tables, other times it looks spot on with say Dracula.

Scared Stiff: Is it just one piece of Main Play music? It's known across the next-gen platforms, PC included.
Black Hole: Agreed. Same way on the DX11 PC version.

How does Haunted House look in the dark on your end? It feels like there's barely any GI on the PC version.

EDIT: Wow, that Creature needs a whole rebuild. This is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Didn't know this was an issue on PC as well. On PC, are Whirlwind and Twilight Zone (Greed Mode) also missing music?

Yep. Whirlwind is missing the pre-multiball music, as well as TZ's Greed music. Unresolved for years, among many others.

Brandon Garvin

FarSight Employee
Oct 10, 2016
Please discuss the changes for Update 1.16 or comments about the current state of Pinball Arcade.

Here's what I've noticed;

1. Dual lighting sliders implimented (awesome!)

2. Lighting settings are now saved for each table. (Cool!)

3. The table bulbs still look really dim and the colors don't pop like they used to, or even like they do on Stern Pinball Arcade.

4. What happened to The Creature from the Black Lagoon?!? This was buggy in 1.15, but now it's a complete mess! :( I am really saddened by this as CFTBL is my favorite table and I was unhappy with the bugs (missing Creature) on 1.15, and waited 3+ months for the fix. Now it's taken a huge step into glitchville.

5. I've always thought the pinball looked too dark with the Room brightness down, but now its nearly impossible to see it when it's moving. Im guessing this has to do with the overall lack of table bulb brightness and lack of vivid colors like we sas with version 1.14 and below.

There is a second update on the way to fix a few issues that were in the one we just released. The playfield textures on Creature are among the issues we've fixed. Sadly the lighting isn't going to get any better for the moment, we're going to need to do a full lighting pass on the table like we did with STTNG to solve that problem. I believe we have already submitted the patch to Sony, so it should be out soon.

Michael

Jan 9, 2015
So, are any of you able to download Doctor Who? Pro Version shows as "unavailable", and Big Hurt Pro and the updated Doctor Who still needs to be paid for, even though I bought the Season 6 Pro bundle. The other 6 tables unlocked just fine.

PeacemakerPIN

Nov 19, 2015
Cirqus Voltaire is almost there. Now the dim bulbs needs to be fixed. Then it's back to what it was. Having the Menagerie Ball change colors like the PC DX11 and last gen versions would be perfect.

Roadshow looks perfect now.

Last edited:

MIK

Oct 17, 2016
I've played on all the tables checking the lighting. Big Shot and Genie's artwork lighting looks to be a bit iffy????
Big Shot in demo mode you can see a couple of invisible squares that don't display the reflections as the camera swings over the table. It also looks nasty dark overall and as if the table is reflecting a bit too much.
Genie's artwork also looks dark-ish or dirty looking but I can also see shapes and gaps that look clean on the table.

As for the rest I personally have the Room Brightness between 90% & 100% at the moment. The only table I felt the need to drop a touch more was Fire Power 80%, only because my poor photographic memory said the lighting and colour reminded me of the XBOX360 version. ;)

While most are 100% on the Room Brightness I'm happy with what I see in general, it's like seeing the game for the first time all over again. Some look Pro Pinball dark such as Cactus Canyon or Whirlwind but I like the look if I'm honest as the colours are vivid and the lights standout well. The only thing that looks out of place with this new lighting is the ball it's self, it can look dull or too dark in places.

Best looking table with the new lighting for me - Space Shuttle :cool:

Last edited:

psykil

Nov 8, 2016
There is a second update on the way to fix a few issues that were in the one we just released. The playfield textures on Creature are among the issues we've fixed. Sadly the lighting isn't going to get any better for the moment, we're going to need to do a full lighting pass on the table like we did with STTNG to solve that problem. I believe we have already submitted the patch to Sony, so it should be out soon.

Maybe you could take this table out of the tournament then?

Last edited:

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Bonebusters is buggy. It gets hung up if you get a bonus round at the end and the controller becomes unresponsive.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts