Stern SAM2 System

Groni

Jul 19, 2012
Hey Guys,

what about Stern Tables with SAM2. I know about the Problems with SAM2 and that Stern do not allow to use this Roms since they are in use on actual tables. We are still waiting for it on VP.

So how about a license for PA? Maybe there would be a kickstarter too on this ones?

I really would love to see a Pirates of the Caribean and Spiderman.

Greetz

Groni

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
FarSight's license with Stern allows them to reproduce any of their tables with no waiting period.

The reasons we don't have more Stern tables are that S.A.M. is very demanding and FarSight has not developed working emulation for it yet, and the fact that almost every Stern table is based on an expensive licensed theme (usually a movie or a band), and FarSight has to secure those ancillary licenses independently of the Stern table license before it can legally re-create the table.

Groni

Jul 19, 2012
Hard to believe that every Stern Table could be reproduced. Gary Stern told us for VP we have to wait 3 Years after a Table is released. But on SAM2 Gary told us, that we can use the roms only if Stern switches to a new System. If they switch to a new system, then of course we have to wait 3 Years to emulate it for VP. Simple reason, Stern wants to keep people play the real thing instead of playing a vitual machine, which many people would prefer. So if SAM2 comes to PA, then Garys arguments didn´t make sense anymore :)

Anyway hoping for some nice PA SAM2 Pins :)

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Does their upcoming X-Men table use a new system? There were rumors that Stern was planning on making a switch.

karl

May 10, 2012
Sorry to perhaps state the obvious but I would guess the rules change when they get license money for their s.a.m. system and there is just one company to worry about. I do love the vp platform though so I am hoping that Stern will be loosening up a bit about restrictions for VP creators in the future and go back to the 3 year rule that was.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Hard to believe that every Stern Table could be reproduced. Gary Stern told us for VP we have to wait 3 Years after a Table is released. But on SAM2 Gary told us, that we can use the roms only if Stern switches to a new System. If they switch to a new system, then of course we have to wait 3 Years to emulate it for VP. Simple reason, Stern wants to keep people play the real thing instead of playing a vitual machine, which many people would prefer. So if SAM2 comes to PA, then Garys arguments didn´t make sense anymore :)

The difference is that Stern receives royalties from FarSight for the sale and distribution of virtual versions of their tables. Stern doesn't receive any money from the VP community which is the reason for the restrictions on emulating their last MPU (up to three years) and current MPU.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The difference is that FarSight entered into a licensing agreement with Stern and so Stern gets a percentage of each Stern table that FarSight sells. That ability to profit changes everything. Instead of Stern's distributors being their only customers, they can now basically make a percentage of FarSight's much smaller but much more numerous sales of virtual tables, with very little effort or expenditure on Stern's part. So it would be silly of Stern to force FarSight to wait 3 years, because that would just mean any profit Stern would make by licensing its tables to FarSight would also be delayed 3 years.

EDIT: Sorry to restate your post, Pin Wiz, I apparently lost the quick-draw contest. :)

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012

How exactly does the arrangement work? Do you have to wait three years after the system change to do any tables using that system, or three years after release of the tables. For example, say they replaced SAM2 next year. Does that mean you couldn't do Pirates, Family Guy, and the other SAM2 tables until 2016, or could you do them, and any others more than 3 years old, right after the change?

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
SAM Emulation?

Hi All

Just saw a great little virtual table build!

http://hackaday.com/2012/05/28/mini-pinball-mame-machine-is-small-enough-to-fit-in-any-game-room/

BUT…..Am I mistaken? Or is that thing playing the 2008 Batman by George Gomez/Stern?????
That’s the SAM system that I didn’t know that was even able to be emulated yet!
Does anyone know if this is Visual Pinball/Pinmame or 'something else'?

I was pretty sure VP developers had some kind of agreement with Stern not to do any later tables...?

Thanks
Andy

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Hi All, hello Groni (Great to see a VP 'star' on here :) )

I just posted about a great little virtual table build I saw elsewhere.

http://hackaday.com/2012/05/28/mini-pinball-mame-machine-is-small-enough-to-fit-in-any-game-room/
BUT…..Am I mistaken? Or is that thing playing the 2008 Batman by George Gomez/Stern?????

Thoughts?
Andy

Edit: If this is OK in VP......Has Family Guy been done yet??? :)

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
It uses the same playfield (or one that looks very similar to the Stern field), but the scoreboard alone should tell you this isn't emulated.

Last edited:

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
So it's a scripted Future Pinball table....Thanks for the link Groni.

Taking a second look I realised that the DMD display's more 'simulated' than actually emulated-Cheers Richard.

Got me going though!!!

Last edited:

Logan812

Jul 9, 2012
Hi All, hello Groni (Great to see a VP 'star' on here :) )

I just posted about a great little virtual table build I saw elsewhere.

Thoughts?
Andy

Edit: If this is OK in VP......Has Family Guy been done yet??? :)

It's a Future Pinball recreation. There's also a Family Guy remade for Future Pinball as well.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Scripted or not, it still looks good. It's also in 3-D, and the physics look sound. I think I need to give Future Pinball another look.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I downloaded it and got it running, but I can't change camera angles, and the default is terrible. BTW, we have two different threads on this same topic, and it's getting confusing. Can we shut one of them down?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.