BlahCade 105: Touch My Glow Balls

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
http://blahcadepinball.com/2017/06/27/Episode-105-Touch-my-Glow-Balls.html

We finally have some digital pinball to talk about! Well, Jared does. Chris has yet to play the Wipeout beta on Steam. We also talk about some new ball packs in TPA that are actually worth buying. You also get to hear gameplay thoughts about a rarely seen pinball, Transporter: The Rescue. It’s a lot of fun. And, finally, we have a winner folks. Someone gets a free game in this week’s podcast!

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
*Update*

I have now tried the Wipeout beta. Enough about that, how 'bout dem glow balls, huh? Some are better than others, most looking like the glowing tip of a Playstation Move controller. In other words, a soft dull glow. I'd like them to continue with this idea and do glowing plasma balls, so glass with glowing lightning inside. Made me also think of a new challenge to playing. Turn both lighting sliders all the way off. Now play one game with a glow ball, and then the same game with an all black ball (There's essentially 3 to choose from). Both offer an interesting challenge, just wondering which table is truly the darkest in TPA under these conditions.

And for those listeners that are with me watching the new Twin Peaks...what the hell was that last episode?! Not saying I didn't still enjoy it, but that was the bizarre. I'm talking the most fringe version of David Lynch that might have been even to Lynchian for him.

Nov 18, 2016
Too bad you guys didn't talk about the Doctor Who custom balls. I was looking forward to your take on them before buying. Whether or not you're into Who, the Whomobile is a hell of a lot of fun! First of all, I find it hilarious that a sci-fi car featured in a few episodes over 40 years ago gets a special tribute in TPA. Playing Indy 500 or High Speed with the Whomobile is the best! Like having a mini slot car set, as the Whomobiles always turn to face the direction in which they're moving. Vrooom!

Most of the glo-balls look not too impressive on Android mobile. As I feared, they just look like a basic videogame colored dot with little sense of dimension. And, as a result, the pinball simulation "illusion" of TPA is messed with. The one exception is the "glow in the dark" color ball. Playing Black Hole or Space Shuttle with them is a lovely nostalgia trip! Reminds me of toys I had back in the time of those tables, when glow-in-the-dark was a big deal. And it fits well with the old school sci-fi feel of those tables.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I've found the Who balls a little underwhelming to be honest. I did play with the Whomobile but it isn't so fun on mobile.

I agree that the Glo-balls are a bit lacking in dimension on mobile. But what they lack in dimension they make up for in visibility.

Would like to see a faked lighting mode on Mobile.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.