Salutations from Phoenix, AZ!

darkuni

Jul 26, 2012
Hello everyone.

My name is Shane R. Monroe. I've been a very active member of the internet's retro gaming scene since 1998; you might know me from my humble podcast RetroGaming Radio. I was also huge in the MAME scene - running the website Insert Coin.

Anyway, I've always been a casual fan of "real" pinball. My favorite era of pinball is the big licensing era - where there was heavy emphasis on theme and IP and dot matrix was still new and rare. I love pinballs with aural feasts; like Black Knight 2000 - and those with a lot of IP related music and samples like Time Machine, Back to the Future, Star Wars (aka "SHOOT THE DEATH STARRRR!"), etc. I'm drawn a lot to mission based pinballs too.

While I'm not a huge fan of "electro-mechanical" pinball, I have COMPLETE respect for that era where the tables, backglass, etc. were pure works of art.

As early dot matrix goes, I loved Demolition Man, Terminator 3. I like toys and random act modifiers (like Whirlwind).

The first pinball I "owned" was actually the handheld LCD game "Wildfire". I still have one packed up in my shed. Man I put a lot of hours into that.

Video pinball has always been a huge staple of my gaming. I spent a LOT of time on the Commodore Amiga platform and played more Pinball Dreams/Fantasies/Illusions than I care to admit. Elvira's Pinball Jam on the Atari Lynx ate a LOT of my free time ("Leeeet's PARTY!!!!")

My first venture into "3D" pinball was the incredible Hyper3D pinball ("AMMO ... heheheheheheh") running under Windows 95. It totally sucked me in.

Since then, my favorite video pinballs have been "realistic" pinball type games rendered in 3D - Pinball Pro series of course, but I play a LOT of pinball on portables. Metroid Prime Pinball on the Nintendo DS ... Pinball Pulse on Nintendo DSiWare ... and of course, Zen and Pinball Arcade.

If there is one thing about pinball I don't care for; it is "fanciful tables". They are fun every now and then, but for the most part - I prefer tables that are based on the real thing; or are at least possible in the real world.

I am also the proud owner of a fully-restored Bone Busters - complete with ORIGINAL talking skull head (Papa is proud). It wasn't my first choice - but at the time, my wife and I decided it would be the best choice based on what we had to choose from with our budget, etc.

If I could own any pinball? Probably a tricked out Black Knight 2000 - complete with all the after-mod amps and extra speakers - that really highlights the audio. And who wouldn't want to own an Addam's Family?

Anyway, I'm here - actually - to make good on a promise. That is, when Facebook was removed from Pinball Arcade that I would get behind the product 100%, buy every table and promote the product on my show and my internet endeavors. Someone on Google+ recommended these forums when the beta came out featuring real leaderboards and Black Knight - and here I am.

I'm hoping to be an active, useful member of this community and help perpetuate this product any way I can.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Welcome Shane.
You playing/planning on playing this on any console? I think you'll be an even bigger fan once you play this with an actual controller. While I have all the tables on the iPad for on the road, nothing beats playing it with a controller and accurate nudging.

darkuni

Jul 26, 2012
Welcome Shane.
You playing/planning on playing this on any console? I think you'll be an even bigger fan once you play this with an actual controller. While I have all the tables on the iPad for on the road, nothing beats playing it with a controller and accurate nudging.

I play Zen with a Wii controller (I've never been much of a nudger ANYWAY - esp. with digital pinball). I need to ask TPA guys to add physical button mapping so I can map out my controllers to the Wiimote.

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Welcome to the forums Shane. Still a big Mame-player myself, you just can't beat old-fashioned gameplay can you? :)

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Joust, 1942, Track And Field, Gyruss, Ms. Pac-Man, Gauntlet, Xybots, Pengo... :)

Last edited:

darkuni

Jul 26, 2012
Joust, 1942, Track And Field, Gyruss, Ms. Pac-Man, Gauntlet, Xybots, Pengo... :)

Absolute hits one and all, my brother.

Did you ever get to experience Gyruss on Retrocade back in the day? Where they replaced the sound system with something a bit beefier? INCREDIBLE.

Man, I might have to get ahold of Retrocade again and see if it will run under Win7/64bit. I've never heard Gyruss sound that good.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
The first pinball I "owned" was actually the handheld LCD game "Wildfire". I still have one packed up in my shed. Man I put a lot of hours into that.

Wildfire! Hanging around this forum has had me trying to recall the name of that little wonder. I used to play the heck out of that thing when I was younger! If you think about it, the design and features were actually quite amazing for time.

darkuni

Jul 26, 2012
Wildfire! Hanging around this forum has had me trying to recall the name of that little wonder. I used to play the heck out of that thing when I was younger! If you think about it, the design and features were actually quite amazing for time.

Absolutely a fantastic little game. I have a great story about it ... wonder if I've told that on my podcast? It's a good story.

For those wondering what the heck we're talking about ...

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Whoa , a memory was just knocked loose from my head, damn cobwebs , apparently me and video pinball go back FURTHER than I thought , seeing Wildfire reminded me of this:
microvision2.jpg

Milton Bradley MicroVision system , and I had the PinBall cartridge , which would be my own first video pinball game . greetings from your neighbors in Northern NV. darkuni

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Welcome to the Forum Shane...Here's to hoping FarSight brings Bone Busters Inc. to The Pinball Arcade.

darkuni

Jul 26, 2012

darkuni

Jul 26, 2012
First off .. GREAT avatar, great game ...

Second - yeah ... the Microvision is one of those handhelds I never managed to get my paws on - that and the TG-16 Express (who could afford THAT back then???). I wonder if they have an 'emu' or simulation of the Microvision yet...?

Whoa , a memory was just knocked loose from my head, damn cobwebs , apparently me and video pinball go back FURTHER than I thought , seeing Wildfire reminded me of this:

Milton Bradley MicroVision system , and I had the PinBall cartridge , which would be my own first video pinball game . greetings from your neighbors in Northern NV. darkuni

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Hi Shane and welcome to TPA.
I'd recommend your podcast to any that haven't given it a listen-You were one over the, if not THE, Retrogaming podcasters. And you've inspired many.
Glad your gonna promote TPA...don't be so hard on FB and Apple LOL.
Also thanks for pics you posted elsewhere....Though the BK MagnaSave buttons are SOOOOO F'IN WRONG!!! Grrrrr.
Andy

darkuni

Jul 26, 2012
Hey Andy!

I try my best to be as non-partisan as possible on RGR as I can - especially the new show. Passenger Seat Radio? I'll unleash my fury :)

Most of my fan base assures me that I'm really the first "internet radio" show that would be akin to modern day podcasting; since I started in August of 1998. There are arguments that Adam Sasser(sp) pre-dates me, but again - the fans assure me I still beat him :)

I'm just happy to still be broadcasting almost 15 years later.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.