Hall of fame scores not well balanced across tables

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I've been trying to improve my hall of fame score by playing whichever table I have the least HOF points on, I just had a fairly good TOTAN game, 94k that took about 20 mins but this only gave me 26pts whereas a 5 minute game of Gorgar scoring 288k gave me 192 pts!.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
I've been trying to improve my hall of fame score by playing whichever table I have the least HOF points on, I just had a fairly good TOTAN game, 94k that took about 20 mins but this only gave me 26pts whereas a 5 minute game of Gorgar scoring 288k gave me 192 pts!.

well, some measure of imbalance is unavoidable, but TOTAN really is way out of line. my best TOTAN score is worth 26 points while my best Monster Bash score is worth more than 500 points!

Balance problems aside, though, i absolutely love having an across-the-board roll-up of performance on all tables, like the old Hall of Fame Challenges from the Williams and Gottlieb collections.

unless they fix it, my advice is to stick to Gorgar, Monster Bash, and a few of the other high scorers. Bride of Pin*Bot is a big scorer if you can make multiple billions in a game.

gjarnling

Jun 12, 2012
have over 500 on CV as well. only played that and CFTBL since the update... thanks for the heads up re MB, will play some when I get off work.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Only way to get good points on bop is by hitting billionaires club. Which is dumb because getting a score of 50 million is much harder than 1 billion, 10 million.
I've noticed hof points are easier to get on older tables like Gorgar and bk. maybe it was an incentive based design to bring more interest to the older games?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Maybe you get points according to your leaderboard score? Older tables are less popular, therefor easier to score higher op the LB.

Bride of Trolls

Jul 29, 2012
My 5 Billion Game on BoP gave me 576 points and i think this is to much
because you need a little luck for a score like this, you just depend on the
big wheel. It gave me 5 times the billion, one extra ball and only 4 small prices.

My 1 Million Game on Gorgar scores 695 points at HoF, which is only hitting
the gorgar targets as long as possible, that's all.

In my best TOTAN game with 161 milion points i rescued the princess twice
and also played some multiball inclusive Harem Multibal. The HoF score is
only 46 points, i also think this is not really well balanced.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
eh, i don't really think BoP is luck. it's a repeatable shot if you know how to catch and pass. it's one of the most skill-based (although shallow!) tables in the collection, in that if you can repeat the same shot 100% of the time, you can basically keep going forever.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
eh, i don't really think BoP is luck. it's a repeatable shot if you know how to catch and pass. it's one of the most skill-based (although shallow!) tables in the collection, in that if you can repeat the same shot 100% of the time, you can basically keep going forever.

I think thats the opposite of skillbased. RBioN takes the crown for needing the most skill to complete it's goals (thats not saying its the hardest table, as the extra balls significantly soften the ordeal). From a "how long can you keep the game going" POV, I find gorgar is the most challenging.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
I think thats the opposite of skillbased. RBioN takes the crown for needing the most skill to complete it's goals (thats not saying its the hardest table, as the extra balls significantly soften the ordeal). From a "how long can you keep the game going" POV, I find gorgar is the most challenging.

Well, I don't think complexity is the same as thing as skill. I would argue that the skill required for a table is a function of the ratio between ball drains due to player mistakes vs drains due to bad luck. You could play Ripley's perfectly and still occasionally drain, but if your aim is perfect on BoP, you can play forever.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Here's a little more info on how the scoring works, from their newsletter:

"We are also implementing a new leaderboard called Hall of Fame. This leaderboard takes the final score on any table you own and converts it into leaderboard points. These points get posted to the leaderboard and lets you compare your level of skill with your friends and around the world.

We have implemented a new overall score to rank your skills against other players across all of the tables in the Pinball Arcade! We calculate this score using your best score ever on each table and award Hall of Fame points based on it. The table score required to earn one Hall of Fame point is different for every table due to the different relative scoring. Your total Hall of Fame score is the sum of your Hall of Fame points earned on each table. Note that the most Hall of Fame points that you can earn on a single table is 1000, so a perfect score for someone who owns all of the tables we have released so far on iOS and Android is 12,000."

BRZ

Aug 2, 2012
Thank Jeff, i had to dig into my spam folder for this newsletter.
So i wonder if the achievement points are then completely separate...
Also since the points are awarded relative to other high scores,
I wonder how that works for new tables when they are released
and since 1000 points is the max for each table, if your high score gets beaten,
that means your HoF score should go down..

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
Thank Jeff, i had to dig into my spam folder for this newsletter.
So i wonder if the achievement points are then completely separate...
Also since the points are awarded relative to other high scores,
I wonder how that works for new tables when they are released
and since 1000 points is the max for each table, if your high score gets beaten,
that means your HoF score should go down..

you're misunderstanding. the values are static. for example, anyone who scores over, say, 3 billion on Monster Bash gets a thousand points, whether they get 3.1 billion or 5 billion, and the number of people hitting that ceiling doesn't effect where the cieling is set.

ps i will mail a cookie to anyone who can get a thousand HoF points in TOTAN! haha.

Stormchild

Jun 24, 2012
Here's a little more info on how the scoring works, from their newsletter:

"We are also implementing a new leaderboard called Hall of Fame. This leaderboard takes the final score on any table you own and converts it into leaderboard points. These points get posted to the leaderboard and lets you compare your level of skill with your friends and around the world.

We have implemented a new overall score to rank your skills against other players across all of the tables in the Pinball Arcade! We calculate this score using your best score ever on each table and award Hall of Fame points based on it. The table score required to earn one Hall of Fame point is different for every table due to the different relative scoring. Your total Hall of Fame score is the sum of your Hall of Fame points earned on each table. Note that the most Hall of Fame points that you can earn on a single table is 1000, so a perfect score for someone who owns all of the tables we have released so far on iOS and Android is 12,000."

The problem being, your previously-achieved scores are no longer attached to your account when you sign up for the new FarSight leaderboards (because you end up with a new, separate account, and your old Facebook account is now just one of your "friends" and not part of your account), so now you have to go back and beat all your old high scores to actually get the Hall of Fame credit you've already earned.

gjarnling

Jun 12, 2012
ps i will mail a cookie to anyone who can get a thousand HoF points in TOTAN! haha.

find it funny how the rulesheet at pinball.org says "... everything above 100m is world class" while it gives you ca 25 PHoF points :)

based on earlier leaderboards I know 100m isn't that much - TPA is much easier than real pinball - but I have a feeling someone might have slipped the keys and added a 0 to much at the end to the ToTAN PHoF points algorithm...

Last edited:

pacreis

Jun 8, 2012
Now that the last update fixed the gamecenter slowdowns i have been playing TPA to improve my pinball hall fame score. The score to reach 1000 PHoF points in Gorgar is 1,500,000. As anybody been able to reach 1000 PHoF points in more tables?

gjarnling

Jun 12, 2012
Now that the last update fixed the gamecenter slowdowns i have been playing TPA to improve my pinball hall fame score. The score to reach 1000 PHoF points in Gorgar is 1,500,000. As anybody been able to reach 1000 PHoF points in more tables?

highest score I have is 960 HoFP on CFTBL when I score 4.8B. so my guess would be 5B to get 1000 HoFP?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts