Cabinet mode in 4K v 1080p a real game changer

Colywobbles

Sep 9, 2018
Ok so after the news of WMS tables being released I dusted off my VPin setup and installed the beta for the Williams tables.
3hrs later and after cleaning up the damp patch in my under crackers I decided my table justifies an upgrade for this thing of beauty Zen have created.
However just to make sure I thought I’d best set it up the living room PC which is 4K to make sure my now dated GTX970 could handle it.
4 damp patches later after trying each of the beta tables it looks like I’m going to have to sell a kidney!

They say pictures don’t lie but TBH regardless of the ones posted below in this case they actually do as jaggies on the ramp wires, flippers and lots of plastics can easily be seen while playing the game in 1080 but not at all on in 4K
Apart from jaggies everything can be read easily and clearly on the 4K screen but not so much on the 1080 and the pics do show this quite well if you check out the text on the dudes cap, the credits near the flippers and even right down to the barcode under the left slingshot.

You may think this is not such a big deal but believe me it’s the difference between Chalk & Cheese when playing and makes the table absolutely pop with realism. Simply put WOW!

So is it a no brainier? Well sort of. The con is the fact my GTX970 is struggling it’s arse off to keep up and definitely showing low frame rate with stuttering to boot so my next step is to try my VR gaming rigs GTX1080 non Ti and a mates gonna give his 1070 a whirl too and I’ll get back with results.

My feelings at the moment “dam this is gonna be expensive but just has to be done.

Big Thanks to all the guys at Zen my faith in virtual pinball has been restored especially after the Arcooda fiasco I went through.

1080 everything on inc 16x MSA

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/B...THWk1RwayxTfjZRg3NKtKyKia4otRZNKAQV4XWw=w2400

4K everything on inc 8x MSA

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/n...Xw5xGA0P_kuX1J_miEjKWDcQVG_7lA6QRuSR__P=w2400

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
In 4K you don’t need a lot of those but one in particular is the shadow detail, which on my 980 needs to be set to medium

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
So what you're saying is I need to rotate my 65" TV into portrait and play? HA!

Still, gotta believe those that ordered the Arcooda cabs with 4K monitor should be happy.

Colywobbles

Sep 9, 2018
So what you're saying is I need to rotate my 65" TV into portrait and play? HA!

Still, gotta believe those that ordered the Arcooda cabs with 4K monitor should be happy.

Nope don’t rotate your 65 tv just do as I have just done today and go buy a nice 40in 4K HDR screen and you will find the foot long flippers on ya 65 will be to scale at 80mm the same as a real table in fact!
I also chucked in my 1080 (non Ti) and it displayed 240fps and at worst 151fps with everything max inc 8xaa however I can’t really notice any difference with aa on/off even with me specs on lol
As for Arcooda’s Vpin all I can say is ouchie to anyone who has committed bearing in mind at one point I was tempted (dodged a bullet there imo)

Roll on table pack one it can’t come soon enough as no waiting for sales for me, imo it’s easy justifiable on the back of the beta alone and I have 90% of TPA ones already.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Ummm, the Arcooda cab can play Zen just fine, they just can’t advertise since they aren’t licensed carriers.

Colywobbles

Sep 9, 2018
Oh good news for the buyers then at least, bullet caught \o/

I’m a bit of a tinkerer so enjoy the build challenge this will be my 3rd so many lessons already learned

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for the thread. I recently ordered my first 4K TV and it should be here tomorrow. Sounds like my GTX 960 is gonna struggle though. I have a GTX 1060 on my laptop so I might have to roll with that for now and run an HDMI cable from that.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
My 4K tv unfortunately has a tiny bit of lag on it, and I can't play Zen or TPA on it through the PS4 without retraining the muscle memory for when to flip. Same with playing through the Switch. When I upgrade my computer monitor someday, it'll be to 4K.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, response time is one of the most important things to me. I'm gonna put this 55" on a higher pedastal so I can put my X-arcade tankstick right in front of it. :cool:

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
SYT: don't forget to set it to game mode (in case you haven't). If you connect a PC to your TV, check to see if your TV has a PC mode (sometimes as easy as labelling the port PC). That makes a HUGE difference. For example with my Samsung, if I label the port PC, it automatically turns off all post processing, etc which makes lag worse.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
SYT: don't forget to set it to game mode (in case you haven't). If you connect a PC to your TV, check to see if your TV has a PC mode (sometimes as easy as labelling the port PC). That makes a HUGE difference. For example with my Samsung, if I label the port PC, it automatically turns off all post processing, etc which makes lag worse.

I use PC mode for my PS4 as well for this reason. Huge difference, as you said.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

Trust me, first thing I did was turn off every last picture ‘enhancement’ when I turned it on, then did a little color calibration. All my stuff goes through a receiver, then to the TV, so that also might be introducing a millisecond of lag that I only notice for pinball.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Trust me, first thing I did was turn off every last picture ‘enhancement’ when I turned it on, then did a little color calibration. All my stuff goes through a receiver, then to the TV, so that also might be introducing a millisecond of lag that I only notice for pinball.

Could you run your PS4 straight to your TV then run an optical audio cable to your receiver just for PS4 sound? Not ideal, but might be worth it to eliminate the lag...although I think you’ve fully transitioned to Steam for pinball anyways, right?

EDIT: might help for stuff like Guitar Hero too.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Could you run your PS4 straight to your TV then run an optical audio cable to your receiver just for PS4 sound? Not ideal, but might be worth it to eliminate the lag...although I think you’ve fully transitioned to Steam for pinball anyways, right?

EDIT: might help for stuff like Guitar Hero too.

I want to say I did try that and didn't notice any effect, but not positive. And yeah, it doesn't really matter since I'm fully a Steam player.

I never had issue with Guitar Hero or Rock Band because both those had calibration tools that allowed you to delay or advance you inputs by milliseconds. But I've played those on this TV and had no need, so go figure.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Thanks for the thread. I recently ordered my first 4K TV and it should be here tomorrow. Sounds like my GTX 960 is gonna struggle though. I have a GTX 1060 on my laptop so I might have to roll with that for now and run an HDMI cable from that.
Jeff your coming into my world hehehe !!!just hook your laptop to your new tv , GTX 1060 works fine . that`s what my laptop is , you`ll love it . so happy for you Jeff , all this new tech stuff is great !!!:cool:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Jeff your coming into my world hehehe !!!just hook your laptop to your new tv , GTX 1060 works fine . that`s what my laptop is , you`ll love it . so happy for you Jeff , all this new tech stuff is great !!!:cool:

Thanks Wolfson! Looking forward to trying out my new setup this weekend when I can get a hand setting everything up (my back can't take any heavy lifting).

wolfson

May 24, 2013
if I was there , I`d be helping you straight away , my mate .:cool: I see you got a PS4 PRO , you`ll enjoy that especially if you have some 4k games . I have XBOX1X , PS4 PRO and Laptop GTX 1060 . I found the XBOX1X a little better than the PS4 PRO not by much . I prefer the consoles over the laptop , but that`s me hehe . by the way what size tv did you buy ? :cool:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Right on, I know you would! I bought a 55" 4K. Moving up from a 42" 1080p with no HDR so it should be a pretty big upgrade. I'm very excited to see how the PS4 Pro looks, especially games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Shadow of War, and the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2.

Last edited:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Right on, I know you would! I bought a 55" 4K. Moving up from a 42" 1080p also with no HDR so it should be a pretty big upgrade. I'm very excited to see how the PS4 Pro looks, especially games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Shadow of War, and the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2.
like mine , you are going to be blown away , I don`t play the first 2 , they look great on youtube , but I`m buying Red Dead Redemption 2 . have fun !!!!:cool:

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015

Some receivers will have video mode settings as well that might apply enhancements, or maybe you need to run through a PC HDMi in, or rename it to PC. It'll depend on the manufacturer.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.