Request We need 2-stage or analog flipper control on games with upper flippers

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
As someone pointed out, in WW, FH, Tommy, and many other tables with upper flippers, they contain a two stage feature, in which if the flipper button is only pressed in half way, the lower flipper will raise, but the upper flipper will not. This is very important to multiball, and should be included in all versions that can support it (touch screen versions might not, but that's tough nuts for them).

drmoze

Aug 1, 2012
That is a key feature from the real pins. The xbox doesn't have these tables yet (except for xbox--and I didn't dl FH b/c I have it on the WMS HOF and have a real CV here at home), but the analog triggers should work with this. Alas, I prefer the shoulder buttons to activate flippers. It's always something!

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
You're one lucky mofo to have a real CV. As for FH, the PHOF version is not nearly as good as the TPA version. The same goes for all PHOF tables, including MM, jacked up as it is. This feature is not yet implemented, but could easily be. It really only comes into play during multiball, but it can make a big difference in scores.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
This feature is not yet implemented, but could easily be. It really only comes into play during multiball, but it can make a big difference in scores.
It would need some creativity to implement on touchscreen devices. Even on consoles, I understand there's a sizable contingent who prefer flipping via bumpers rather than the triggers.

And actually, after 100+ hours on a real TZ over the past few weeks, I've found it easier to make upper flipper shots by first passing the "extra" balls to the opposite flipper below than it is to find and maintain the precise amount of pressure needed to keep the upper flipper down without dumping the trapped balls down the drain. My hands shake slightly though, so maybe it's easier for others than it is for me.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
It would need some creativity to implement on touchscreen devices. Even on consoles, I understand there's a sizable contingent who prefer flipping via bumpers rather than the triggers.

And actually, after 100+ hours on a real TZ over the past few weeks, I've found it easier to make upper flipper shots by first passing the "extra" balls to the opposite flipper below than it is to find and maintain the precise amount of pressure needed to keep the upper flipper down without dumping the trapped balls down the drain. My hands shake slightly though, so maybe it's easier for others than it is for me.
I don't think it could be easily implemented on touchscreens. The best idea I can think of is to have them touch another area of the screen to use the lower flipper locked, upper flipper toggle scheme, then have them touch the lower flipper (like they normally would) to exit out of it. Not perfect, but it would be satisfactory until someone can think of a better way.
If the bumpers are not analogue, then those who use them will just have to use triggers when they want this feature, or not be able to do it at all.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
All buttons on the PS3 (and PS2) controllers are analog, including the face buttons

I know the face buttons are pressure sensitive, but I have a Sixaxis in my hands right now and I don't see how any of the buttons could really be used for the 2-stage flipper setup. The triggers on the 360 controller seem to be the ideal method of implementing this.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I know the face buttons are pressure sensitive, but I have a Sixaxis in my hands right now and I don't see how any of the buttons could really be used for the 2-stage flipper setup. The triggers on the 360 controller seem to be the ideal method of implementing this.
The triggers are ideal. Keep in mind that the actual machines have normal buttons, and the difference between engaging the one and two triggers is very slight. No doubt takes a lot of practice to perfect it.

Groni

Jul 19, 2012
As someone pointed out, in WW, FH, Tommy, and many other tables with upper flippers, they contain a two stage feature, in which if the flipper button is only pressed in half way, the lower flipper will raise, but the upper flipper will not. This is very important to multiball, and should be included in all versions that can support it (touch screen versions might not, but that's tough nuts for them).

I have played WW,FH, and Tommy and much more Tables with upper flippers. This feature you described isn´t on any of this tables. Flippers are always ON/OFF. An upper Flipper is always linked the the side dependet lower flipper. The Flipper contact on every pinball machine is a leaf switch. If you tab the switch, any flipper is attached to it will flip. I have never seen any Pinball machine with an analog flipper. Anyway this would be another "Videogame" Feature instead of a "Simulation" Feature.

Logan812

Jul 9, 2012
I have played WW,FH, and Tommy and much more Tables with upper flippers. This feature you described isn´t on any of this tables. Flippers are always ON/OFF. An upper Flipper is always linked the the side dependet lower flipper. The Flipper contact on every pinball machine is a leaf switch. If you tab the switch, any flipper is attached to it will flip. I have never seen any Pinball machine with an analog flipper. Anyway this would be another "Videogame" Feature instead of a "Simulation" Feature.

He was referring to Whirlwind, which does have two-stage flippers, not White Water, which does not. Unless you were referring to Whirlwind too...

I've never played FH or Tommy in real life, so I can't really say anything about those machines, but it's even demonstrated on the PAPA Whirlwind tutorial video.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
He was referring to Whirlwind, which does have two-stage flippers, not White Water, which does not. Unless you were referring to Whirlwind too...

I've never played FH or Tommy in real life, so I can't really say anything about those machines, but it's even demonstrated on the PAPA Whirlwind tutorial video.
I played a real Tommy yesterday, and you could indeed pull this off. It's not analogue, it's two separate switches tied to the same button, the second one requiring a full press to activate.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Two-stage flippers aren't analog; they're controlled by two leaf switches stacked on top of each other. Light pressure on the flipper button closes one switch but not the second, which causes the first (lower) flipper to engage. More pressure closes the second switch as well, causing the upper flipper to engage. But each individual flipper is always fully engaged or not; you can't hold a two-stage flipper horizontal anymore than you can a single flipper.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Two-stage flippers aren't analog; they're controlled by two leaf switches stacked on top of each other. Light pressure on the flipper button closes one switch but not the second, which causes the first (lower) flipper to engage. More pressure closes the second switch as well, causing the upper flipper to engage. But each individual flipper is always fully engaged or not; you can't hold a two-stage flipper horizontal anymore than you can a single flipper.
That's what I was talking about. Not analogue on the in-game flippers, but (two stage) analogue on the 360 trigger, so that a light press would operate a full flip on only the lower flipper, and a full press, over half-way, or whatever they decide, activates a full flip on both.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I implemented this on Xbox 360 and PS3 this week. It will only work on analog buttons, so RT/LT on Xbox 360, and Both R1/L1 and R2/L2 as they are both analog. If you use LB/RB for flipper is won't work cause those buttons are on/off only.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I implemented this on Xbox 360 and PS3 this week. It will only work on analog buttons, so RT/LT on Xbox 360, and Both R1/L1 and R2/L2 as they are both analog. If you use LB/RB for flipper is won't work cause those buttons are on/off only.
Thanks! That's awesome!

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
Oh wow, crazy. Gotta say I didn't think this would rate high enough to warrant their time. Man, now I kinda want a badge showing that I completed the RBION wizard goals without this feature. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts