Thoughts on views (angles)

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
OK I have always played on View 1w normally, and 2 for multiball segments. So to be adventurous, I played a couple games of Secrets of the Deep on view 3 and really dug it. However on some other tables view 3 really sucks.

People who stream or youtube their pinball overwhelmingly use view 2. Although my scores are very non impactful compared to some of the great players that give advice here, I am curious about what views you guys use and why. And if you are more traditional when you play like me, are there other specific tables you like to use a different view on?

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
View 2, all the way.

View 8 on Williams tables actually looks good.

Heck yeah I have seen your stuff on youtube. You are view 2 all the way on all the pinball. Much better than watching golf or tennis on TV man. Can't wait to see view 8 on the Williams as well.

lio

Jul 24, 2013
View 2 almost exclusively.
Sometimes (especially while I'm new to a table) I cycle through views to get a better understanding of the table layout.
I wish there was a higher up version of "view 5" in landscape mode... I like how the view does not scroll but only sway up and down following the ball like you do with your neck/eyes on a real table... just that the view is too low and the sway amount too large...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I only use View 2. There is one view, 5, which I like just for the fact it tilts up with the ball, rather than panning and tracking with it, but I still don't use it. And yes, View 8 for the WMS tables is cool but a bit too distant for me.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I only use View 2. There is one view, 5, which I like just for the fact it tilts up with the ball, rather than panning and tracking with it, but I still don't use it. And yes, View 8 for the WMS tables is cool but a bit too distant for me.

Yeah I like view 5. That's pretty much all I use in landscape, as it more closely mimics how my eyes would actually track the ball on a real pin. I'm not quite that short though ;)

steven120566

Mar 7, 2015
Yeah interesting. I play landscape so I forgot entirely about this game on a vertical screen...

I get that view 2 is compelling, it's just too small on my 40" screen. Maybe a 60" TV would facilitate better view 2 experience. View 3 seems good due to the amount of upper table play there is in Secrets of the Deep, it also works good for Venom as well as Last Jedi. But for 90+ percentage of the tables, I will probably stay in 1w and click over to view 2 for multtiball. The cool thing Zen does is during a game, you only have to click up to view 2 manually once for the first multiball in a game. Once you do that, it knows to automatically switch to view 2, then automatically back to 1w when multiball ends, for every subsequent multiball in the same game.

Last edited:

psykil

Nov 8, 2016
I'm on a 55" and I want to use view 2 but I find the text on the inserts just a tiny bit too small to read, and on tables with an upper flipper I find view 5 makes it easier to time. Most of the other views are either too skewed for me or hide the inlane lights when the balls on the upper playfield which I don't like.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Playing around with view 5 and it's actually pretty cool.

View 8 is nice, but makes the playfield a bit too small for me (why didn't I get a 65" instead lol). View 1 is an identical angle to 8, just zoomed in more so that works better for me.

But view 5 might be my new go-to if it doesn't give me motion sickness haha.

Last edited:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I`m all over the place , depends on if my brain is working haha !!!:p 8, 1 , 1w , 2 and 6 . Jeff maybe our next tv should be 75 inches hehe. I spent all day selecting my fave tables , I ended up with 279 tables , a good mixture from the 1950s to present tables . I`m happy with this lot .:cool:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Jeff maybe our next tv should be 75 inches hehe.

If it wasn't for my insistence on getting a TV with 3D, I would have gone 75" instead of 65". Won't be needing a new TV for a long while, but no doubt it'll be at least that, probably an 80" as my living room has a big wall and a 13' cathedral ceiling that makes any TV look small. The one downside of going that large is DVD resolution becomes really noticeable, with picture quality of blacks and artifacts as well as straight lines not holding up to scrutiny.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
80” would be fracking awesome!

I use my 55” for a PC monitor too so any bigger and my neck would probably snap off haha.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
yep the 80 inch , what a dill I am , the older I get the less the brain clicks into gear haha!!!:eek: and I go into JB HIFI every couple of weeks just to look at there latest tvs :cool: when I go back to my place eventually I will get an 80 inch tv , unless I kick the bucket before Dad haha , we`re going to my sisters place today to celebrate Dads 86th birthday for tomorrow . we all laugh that he might outlast us all haha !!!:cool:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
Looks good in landscape, it's squished down with a weird perspective in portrait mode for some reason.
Been trying to get them to do something about it since the beta but no luck!

yep i was just messing around to try and fix it. definately view 8 is the best for single monitor portrait but its squished.
what i found was with dual monitor you can run in window and stretch the window outside of frame of portrait monitor to get a better view
Heres screenshots..its a pain having to do this but better then nothing.
this ends up zoomed in a bit more then I'd want(can't see out lanes) but its better then the default portrait view 8
BoRH5z0.jpg

Last edited:

bmsuseluda

Jun 1, 2018
im playing fx3 on my switch in portrait mode only, sometimes on a 24" monitor on my desk and the most time on the switch screen.
on the switch screen all angles are too far away for me. In tpa are some angles realy close to the flippers and in zaccaria i can customize the hell out of the angles. which is great. im hoping zen will give us more angles or customization in the future.

Members online

Members online