PC Release news

N

Nik Barbour

Had an email from Farsight about another matter - but tagged on back, asked about pc release. To quote them 'pc release might not be until June'.

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
JUNE!!! That's very...sad. Did they say anything about the 3DS version?? They never stated a release date for that either.

At this rate I will probably end up ponying up for the PS3 version even though I didn't want to. I just wanted PC and 3DS versions. I honestly can't wait until June to get my superior pinball fix.

You should post this news in the FB page.

Last edited:

Craig Booth

Feb 28, 2012
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's because they want us to purchase the console version before the PC version comes out. It was said only a few weeks ago that the console and PC version were on track, meaning end of March. Why would there be a 3 month delay? Unless they have problems with a distributor.

I can guarantee there will be shed loads of people who were getting the PC version, now getting the console version because of the wait, then getting the PC version also. Unfortunately for me, I'll be one of those people because I have a cab, and I'm impatient.

Staggering release dates equals more sales. I really hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
Farsight just posted in FB that they're having trouble with getting a distributor so that's probably what's causing the holdup. It seems Valve doesn't think anyone would want to buy a pinball game, yet they have Worms Pinball and Slamit Pinball on Steam so what's wrong about TPA? Maybe the other two games didn't get many sales? I don't know about WP, but Slamit had a lot of issues that were never resolved so I doubt it got many sales.

I don't think it's because they want us to buy the console version first though. Most people either play PC only or console only so it wouldn't make sense that they'd want us to buy a console version when PC users generally don't have a console. Of course there are some people who have both, like us, but generally PC users look down on console users with an elitist attitude. Of course, it can swing both ways too.

Update: I posted in FB that the devs should ask GoG to put TPA on their system instead as GoG actually cares for pinball, having several games available already.

Last edited:

Craig Booth

Feb 28, 2012
Farsight just posted in FB that they're having trouble with getting a distributor so that's probably what's causing the holdup. It seems Valve doesn't think anyone would want to buy a pinball game, yet they have Worms Pinball and Slamit Pinball on Steam so what's wrong about TPA? Maybe the other two games didn't get many sales? I don't know about WP, but Slamit had a lot of issues that were never resolved so I doubt it got many sales.

I don't think it's because they want us to buy the console version first though. Most people either play PC only or console only so it wouldn't make sense that they'd want us to buy a console version when PC users generally don't have a console. Of course there are some people who have both, like us, but generally PC users look down on console users with an elitist attitude. Of course, it can swing both ways too.

It's probably the case, although 3 people on this thread have already said they would buy console if it's delayed.

I've got a 360 and just bought a gaming PC, so don't touch my console with a barge pole now. Although when it comes to pinball or an exclusive, it doesn't give me much choice, unless I want to wait 3 months. But like I said, I hope I'm wrong and that looks like the case. Although it does seem as was right with the distributor part :)

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
Ah well we're the exceptions then. There's always exceptions to everything.

I actually like playing consoles and PC as each has their own advantages (I'd never play FPS games on a console for instance, the PC doesn't have some awesome games only found on console) and there's games that's only on console or PC so I get the best of both worlds.

Hopefully the distributor thing works out so we won't have to wait as long.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Kinda ticks me off that Valve is skeptical about putting TPA on Steam.

I think Windows Live is the next best option. Dirt 3 on PC uses that and it's good for buying DLC. Plus it's nice that you can log in with your Xbox ID, so you can unlock achievements, chat with your buddies, etc.

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

JUNE!!! That's very...sad. Did they say anything about the 3DS version?? They never stated a release date for that either.

At this rate I will probably end up ponying up for the PS3 version even though I didn't want to. I just wanted PC and 3DS versions. I honestly can't wait until June to get my superior pinball fix.

You should post this news in the FB page.

Sorry guy's - didn't mean to depress everyone! Just thought you should know we may have to wait.

Freelance:- didn't ask about the 3DS. Also, I don't do Facebook (you can have the honour if you like). Sorry man!

Mar 9, 2012
I wonder if its cause Steam hasn't had a Game like this where DLC will be released monthly and what it wants to charge for it.. Steam is king as a download service for the PC.. I wouldn't doubt that they wanted a little more money then Farsight is willing to share without forcing them to have different rates compared to mobile/console.

Is the Mac version still coming at the end of the month? .. I don't have one .. just curious..

btw..first post and thanks for the forum! I hate facebook!

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
No idea how the games industry works but isn't it kind of late in the production process to finalize the distribution?

And I'm sure Farsight wants the game released as soon as possible as well so they start making some money. I don't think they're holding the PC version back deliberately like it was mentioned earlier.

Jeff McElhannon

Feb 20, 2012
I wonder if its cause Steam hasn't had a Game like this where DLC will be released monthly and what it wants to charge for it.. Steam is king as a download service for the PC.. I wouldn't doubt that they wanted a little more money then Farsight is willing to share without forcing them to have different rates compared to mobile/console.

Is the Mac version still coming at the end of the month? .. I don't have one .. just curious..

btw..first post and thanks for the forum! I hate facebook!

Steam takes a 30% cut, just like Apple so I doubt that's the reason.

Everyone should email Gabe Newell (the head of Valve) and let him know you want the game on Steam. He actually reads and responds to emails that fans send him. gaben@valvesoftware.com

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
I think the PC release is being delayed for a couple of reasons:
1. Windows 8 is coming out this year.
2. Farsight has already mentioned that Valve (Steam) is being hesitant. A couple emails from us expressing our interest in Pinball Arcade may help. gaben@Valvesoftware.com
3. Piracy on PC is rampant.
4. I hope it is being delayed to add in a bunch of extra features for the pc crowd such as:
- duel monitor support for backglass and dmd
- support for real dmds
- ability to change rom sets
- support for electronic plungers (Nanotech)
- support for nudge/bump devices (Nanotech, mercury switches, etc).
- cabinet view (though I really hope this is already in the 360/PS3 version).

Last edited:

Patrick McBride

Feb 20, 2012
Did Farsight actually post that Valve didn't want The Pinball Arcade on Steam, or was that just speculation?? I check the Facebook page pretty regularly and I don't recall seeing anything like that. That seems very strange they would deny this game. Can anyone confirm this?

Jeff McElhannon

Feb 20, 2012
Did Farsight actually post that Valve didn't want The Pinball Arcade on Steam, or was that just speculation?? I check the Facebook page pretty regularly and I don't recall seeing anything like that. That seems very strange they would deny this game. Can anyone confirm this?

They replied to a comment yesterday and said that.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Valve seems to be a bit silly when it comes to Pinball releases on steam. Worms pinball is being sold at 8 dollars without the World Rally Fever table. The other game, Slamit, is buggy with no updates from the developer.

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
I wonder if its cause Steam hasn't had a Game like this where DLC will be released monthly and what it wants to charge for it..

There's already games on Steam that has a billion DLC (I'm talking $1000+ worth of DLC) and there hasn't been any problems.

I don't know exactly what Windows Live is, but I have some games that uses Games for Windows-Live and that service is downright horrible. If TPA is going to use that service, then UGH. I'd have to rethink buying it for PC. Also, from what you guys say, it sounds as if Windows Live is a service only for Windows 8. If that's the case, I'll never buy it as I won't get Win 8 for a long time. I'm still using Vista and it'd alienate a whole range of PC users if they don't upgrade right away; either because they don't need it, are broke, or don't have a PC capable of running Win 8.

Oh, and Worms Pinball is the original PC version and is NOT a port of Addiction Pinball. If it was Addiction Pinball then I'd buy it.

I doubt piracy has anything to do with PC version getting delayed. If that was the case, there would be NO games being made for PC. Anyway, it's pinball. It's not a genre many people would even want to pirate.

Last edited:

Jeff McElhannon

Feb 20, 2012
Games for Windows Live is a horrible service and I will absolutely not buy TPA on PC if that's what it is released on. The service is buggy and just downright bad. Piracy definitely doesn't have anything to do with it. If anything, Steam has shown the industry that if you provide customers with a safe, fair, and easy to access platform, they will buy games.

I can't imagine Valve would reject TPA, especially if Farsight showed them their mobile sales numbers. Throwing out some revenue numbers would be helpful since downloads isn't a completely accurate number as people can download the free version.

The fact that TPA for PC is now being pushed back to June is pretty annoying, especially for someone who isn't buying this on consoles. Considering that they haven't even sorted out a distribution deal, I think Farsight bit off more than they can chew with the various platform releases.

Last edited:

Patrick McBride

Feb 20, 2012
They replied to a comment yesterday and said that.

I just scanned all the comments going back to Wednesday on Facebook and I still don't see any Farsight post about this... can someone copy & paste their response here? It's not that I don't believe you, but I'd just like to see exactly what was said.

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
They replied on Fabrizio Pompili's post. You have to scroll down a bit. They said:

"We haven't made a final decision about the PC distribution channel. The folks at Valve seem a little skeptical that Steam users want to play pinball. We might post an email address a little later for anyone who disagrees :)"

Mobile download numbers don't mean anything to Valve. The Steam service doesn't really cater to casual gamers, the demographic the mobile market taps into. Just because a whole bunch of people DLed it on iOS and Android doesn't mean the same thing will happen on Steam. My bet is that Worms Pinball and Slamit Pinball got lousy sales so Valve therefore assumes not many Steam users like pinball stuff.

At least someone else here knows how bad GfWL is. If it only comes out on that platform, then count me out. I'll stick with my PS3 and 3DS instead.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts