Pinball skills

SoonPoker

Jul 19, 2012
Just start a new thread about skills during play, because I don't see any thread about this subject (I put this thread is in iOs folder because I think it's realy depending on the device) ...

And it's quite funny to discuss something else than bugs, bugs ,bugs ... :)

So, like many of you I saw a lot of gameplay's vidz on PAPA's website. And there are many and many and many amazing skills shown by players : mainly "Drop stop" and "Flip Trap" (descriptions and illustrations here), also called "Live catch" in PAPA's vidz.

As a "pinball real life noob" I am, I start my training for this skills on TPA. I more and more often succeed in nice "drop stops", but I never get a wonderfull (and beautifull !) "flip trap". :(

So, am I alone in this situation ?

If not, may we have tips from "pinball masters" for those who don't succeed (yet) in this action ?

Thanks in advance for your help and experience sharing ! :)

I

Last edited:

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
You can't live catch on TPA. I did it a couple of weeks ago on a real machine and it's the coolest thing ever.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
Ok. I thought it depends on plateform because of the possible difference between "touching" and "actionning a button" on console.

So, sorry for the duplicate thread.

nah, that wouldn't make a difference, not even if the console triggers were analog ... all the tables in pinball arcade have flippers whose state is binary -- the buttons are either pushed or not, it's not like flipper buttons are ever pressure sensitive (except on some truly ancient tables).

I think the reason you can't do a flip trap in Pinball Arcade is because the flippers do not decelerate when they approach their highest point. Once they begin moving, they move at a static velocity and then stop instantly without slowing down. in real life physics, that doesn't really happen. in Pinball Arcade, the flipper is always either moving at full speed or it is completely stopped.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
nah, that wouldn't make a difference, not even if the console triggers were analog ... all the tables in pinball arcade have flippers whose state is binary -- the buttons are either pushed or not, it's not like flipper buttons are ever pressure sensitive (except on some truly ancient tables).

I think the reason you can't do a flip trap in Pinball Arcade is because the flippers do not decelerate when they approach their highest point. Once they begin moving, they move at a static velocity and then stop instantly without slowing down. in real life physics, that doesn't really happen. in Pinball Arcade, the flipper is always either moving at full speed or it is completely stopped.
Bobby said they are working on improving the flipper interaction, though he said not to expect anything until September, and already released tables would have to be updated individually. Some are reporting that CFTBL already implements some of these improvements.
Some machines, particularly with upper flipper shots like FH, WW, Tommy, and Addams Family, have analog buttons in which easing up, but still pressing the button will release the upper flipper, but not the lower, enabling you to make shots while trapping the ball.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts