The replay solenoid?

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I'm sure there's a good reason for this, but why on a real table, is there a solenoid that hits the side of the cabinet when you get a replay? Does it have something to do when machines used to pay out and it's just remained as tradition?

stevevt

Mar 31, 2012
1. Lets the attendant/owner/manager know that someone won a free game. In a loud environment (arcade -- remember those?), free games can be kept track of without having to wander around and watch every machine.

2. Lets other players know how awesome you are at pinball. Again, more for a noisy arcade environment. Just one more thing to try to achieve, and therefore motivating you to throw down more money.

The real question is, "Why do people keep the knockers on home games enabled?" For me, it's mostly tradition. And maybe so my non-pinball friends will ask the same question you did so I can talk about arcades and the old days. :)

Last edited:

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Tradition! Is it not awesome?

Though I think a few later games actually faked the knocker sound with software.
But unfortunately faked it with a burst of white noise that makes you think the sound board has broken!

Love the proper mechanical knocker sound. It's the sound of success! ;)

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
You know what funny, I got a replay THREE times last night on T2, twice on one credit lol

The knocker scared the **** out of me!

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Knockers are f'in awesome. I hit 2 on sopranos this week. Scared the **** out of my kid ^^

Jul 2, 2012
But unfortunately faked it with a burst of white noise that makes you think the sound board has broken!

Love the proper mechanical knocker sound. It's the sound of success! ;)
If by the first line you're referring to Stern games, I actually find that sound quite satisfying.

Though I have to say I prefer the real WPC-era Williams knocker over anything. I have the replay score system enabled in my RS but it awards only the animation with knocker because of how awesome it is 8)

Members online

Members online