Zen - Challenges mode with Deep physics?

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Zen, any chance this can happen?

I've just realized that Challenges mode opens up a whole new aspect of the game but, like so many of us here, I only play using the new physics engine.

dmil666

May 19, 2018
Yeah, the Challenges are a lot of fun, and adding the option for the "Classic Single Player" mode (with the new physics where applicable) would be a great addition.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Mel said that they are indeed looking into adding the new physics to Zen originals, but it is a very time consuming process and will have to be done pack by pack. They are thrilled that this community likes it so much that we want it applied to the rest of the game, but it's gonna take some time. It's not just pushing a button and all the rubber becomes different. Did you know they actually adjust the playfield surface for WMS, how much friction it has on the ball? That in turn affects ball trajectory, and these tables were not designed for real world physics. So yes, they are making it happen but we'll have to be patient.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
My mistake. Thought it was a general request.

I don't think they have any plans for challenge modes since it's for earning wizard power ups, that you can't use in Arcade mode. Still, I like where your head is at!

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
My mistake. Thought it was a general request.

I don't think they have any plans for challenge modes since it's for earning wizard power ups, that you can't use in Arcade mode. Still, I like where your head is at!

It's not just for earning wizard power ups (although I think that would be fun using Deep's physics).

Challenges mode also opens up the in-game reward mechanic i.e. the Table Mastery rewards. These rewards can be anything from unique artworks to 3D models from the tables themselves, that can be viewed via the in-game 3D viewer.

This is a very cool game mechanic that's completely hidden to anyone who plays using only the new physics setting in either Arcade or Tournament mode.

dmil666

May 19, 2018
It's not just for earning wizard power ups (although I think that would be fun using Deep's physics).

Challenges mode also opens up the in-game reward mechanic i.e. the Table Mastery rewards. These rewards can be anything from unique artworks to 3D models from the tables themselves, that can be viewed via the in-game 3D viewer.

This is a very cool game mechanic that's completely hidden to anyone who plays using only the new physics setting in either Arcade or Tournament mode.

I'm with you, I like the Table Mastery rewards also, they're a fun bonus for doing well. The wizard stuff is kind of interesting in passing, but I never use them, they kind of defeat the purpose of improving your skill.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
while you aren't required to use the wizard or passive powers in main mode (you can just turn them off) you still have the main mode's physics.

Hence the request to try the challenges with arcade physics.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Thinking about this some more, it would make more sense to have the two options for Zen or Sim physics up front as a global setting, not buried in the game modes. But I fully understand that Zen aren't able to offer such a global option yet, as the vast majority of tables still use the old Zen physics.

However it would be far more intuitive to select your physics setting first and be done with that, then choose whatever game mode you want. That would open up the whole game to both parties.

Maybe one for the future :cool:

Last edited:

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Mel said that they are indeed looking into adding the new physics to Zen originals, but it is a very time consuming process and will have to be done pack by pack. They are thrilled that this community likes it so much that we want it applied to the rest of the game, but it's gonna take some time. It's not just pushing a button and all the rubber becomes different. Did you know they actually adjust the playfield surface for WMS, how much friction it has on the ball? That in turn affects ball trajectory, and these tables were not designed for real world physics. So yes, they are making it happen but we'll have to be patient.

That's excellent news or info or quotes. I would love this to happen. Still love the inventive original/Marvel/SW/JP/Aliens/Universal etc. tables that they do. Just the tought that the physics used in the Williams tables could be put in Zen's tables would be a nice change. Want to play them more, but It's hard to do so with how well Williams V1's phisics are.

mystman12

Apr 21, 2013
I would love to see this as well as the ability to select physics for hot-seat multiplayer. At least in multiplayer's case it defaults to arcade physics, but I would love to also be able to play with tournament settings as well.

Teamski

Jun 19, 2016

Sweet! This would reinvent the game for me. I have always had a problem with the Zen physics model and that turned me off in a large part in playing their tables. I cannot tell you how lucky I feel that Zen got into the deep physics game!

-Ski

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.