Optional Update is online

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
The optional update that introduces the 4th camera and plunger cams, as well as updated lighting and bugfixes for the original 4 tables is now online.

It installed fine for some, but other people report the update installed but does nothing.
Deleting the partially download update (has a big yellow sign with questionmark on it) and the redownload the complete thing should fix this.

To check to see if the updated installed for sure, you can go ingame and see if you have 4 camera options and plunger camera options on the original 4 tables.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Only saw TOtaN quickly before the kids took over the 360 again, but damn that table looks nice.

N

Nik Barbour

Only saw TOtaN quickly before the kids took over the 360 again, but damn that table looks nice.

Kids eh? - Was dying to try dlc2 yesterday, had to wait all day because stuck in work, pedalled home like a maniac dodging traffic - soon as I switched on the xbox, my 3 year old said "Thomas Film" (he's taken to watching kids films via Netflix).
Outcome:- had to wait an additional 3 hours till he'd gone to bed. (You can't say no when they give you the old 'big eyed' look! - was worth the wait though!)

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
It installed fine for some, but other people report the update installed but does nothing.
Deleting the partially download update (has a big yellow sign with questionmark on it) and the redownload the complete thing should fix this.
To check to see if the updated installed for sure, you can go ingame and see if you have 4 camera options and plunger camera options on the original 4 tables.
For the update to take effect, you need to exit out of TPA and restart it again. You'll know it worked if the new plunger angle shows up at the start. I like the new lighting scheme, and while the physics are still too bouncy, they are an improvement over their previous state. They still have that horrific tendency to ricochet off the flipper, over the slingshot and lane divider, and go down the outlane, but this update was probably done in May, so it's still way behind their current model. Nonetheless, I played a mediocre game of TOM and still was able to get my name on the high score list for the first time in over a month, so while there are still cheap drains, there are much fewer than before.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
TOM should have the magnasaves fixed (I heard confirmations of that at least on PS3) so thats already a big fix there. Cant check that for myself as Happy Action Theatre is taking up the screen still.

In what way is the lighting different? I can´t check it right now and I´m curious
I assume you saw the DLC? Totan basically looks as spectacular as CV.

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
In what way is the lighting different? I can´t check it right now and I´m curious :)
The overall level of light is pretty close to what it was, it just looks more realistic. When a light goes on, it actually brightens and impacts the area around it, rather than just changing the lamp to a brighter colored texture.

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
I think it makes the tables look crisper, but it doesn't have the awesome lightshows you get on tables like CV & MM. I'm not sure if this is because the four launch tables don't have as many flashers though....

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Lights are sharper as well, as in " less bloom". TOM's illusions were almost unreadable when lit up due to the bloom. Now they are much sharper.

Craig Booth

Feb 28, 2012
IMO the old tables are not even close to how good the lighting is on the new DLC tables, I honestly can't see the difference and played the tables just prior to updating. I played the old tables then the new tables after, and the lighting is so much better on the new DLC tables.

I'm actually disappointed that the old tables just look a lot duller than previously without having the awesome lighting effects from the 4 new tables. At least there will be a slider somewhere down the line.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I tried the update and didn't notice any difference, then my XBox rebooted because of a momentary power hit in my neighborhood, and after I re-entered the game the lighting looked different. I think you just need to exit and restart; it shouldn't be necessary to delete and re-download anything.

I think I'm not so fond of the dimmer table artwork on Theatre of Magic, but the lights look a lot better than they used to.

(I think it's sad that we've come to the point that people have been trained to delete and reinstall all their stuff to deal with any problem! Unfortunately, it's a perfectly rational reaction to a world of terrible software and bad tech support.)

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Is the excess bounciness toned down any (especially on RBION), or was that not supposed to happen until a future update?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Is the excess bounciness toned down any (especially on RBION), or was that not supposed to happen until a future update?
Hmm I never noticed overly bounciness in RBioN (not to the degree of MM at least) but Ill go check in a bit if there's any changes. I know most bounces from kickouts by heart.

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
I just really want to see Black Hole get fixed eventually. I have to totally replay it. I did most of my serious playing on it after the gate problem.

Pinhead

Feb 29, 2012
Thank you, FS! Update worked perfectly. Picked up where the incomplete download left off earlier and grabbed the last percentage. Only needed to reboot TPA for fixes to kick in.
IMO the old tables are not even close to how good the lighting is on the new DLC tables, I honestly can't see the difference and played the tables just prior to updating. I played the old tables then the new tables after, and the lighting is so much better on the new DLC tables.
Curious about the changes, I declined the optional update and played on each table before accepting. :p The differences I noticed were subtle, but very effective as a whole. No comparison to the new DLC, of course. I was wondering if FarSight or anyone else has posted a side-by-side comparison online.

phantomfriar2002

Apr 13, 2012
Did they do anything to Black Hole? Looked and played the same to me...and needs work both visually (still seems too dark) and in terms of playability. The other updates were nice at least.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts