How many songs are you hearing?

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I and a couple others posted about this in the impressions thread but I thought I'd start a new one to ask what you guys are hearing. I've played CFTBL quite a bit over the past week and only heard "Red River Rock" and "Hand Jive." "Red River Rock" plays pretty much all the time.

According to the CFTBL rulesheet from pinball.org:

"The music in Creature is selected from five 50's tunes, played in "three-day rotation" - whatever that means, exactly. That's the description in the promotional flyer.

The five songs are:

Rock Around The Clock
Get a Job
Summertime Blues
Hand Jive
Red River Rock (Johnny and the Hurricanes)"

I haven't heard anything other than the two I listed above and am wondering if Farsight acquired the rights to all the songs.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
So since the ROM resets everytime you load the table, I would think that would mess up the "three-day rotation"....unless the rotation started randomly, but it seems to play the same songs. I never hear Summertime Blues for instance.

Moon Jump

Apr 19, 2012
I keep hearing Red River Rock when I play it. I thought the game played a different song for each ball but it keeps going back and forth between Red River and Hand Jive every other ball. I've yet to hear Summer Time Blues, Get a Job or Rock Around The Clock. I never knew the game played the song in rotation, I'm used to hearing all the songs because I play the game at least once a month when I go to Reciprocal Skateboards in NYC. Next time I go I'm going to listen and see how many times it plays the same songs.

Moon Jump

Apr 19, 2012
I tried plaything that game through multiple times to hear what songs. I quickly drained all three balls in a couple of games, in others I actually played it to earn extra balls. Keep in mind I'm still using the "free" version, so I don't know if this will apply to the rest of you. My game pretty much only plays two songs. Red River always starts the first ball, then Hand Jive and it replays Red River on the 3rd ball. When I would get extra balls it would keep playing Red River. As I said I go to Reciprocal Skateboards in New York City and Jon usually has Creature in his lineup so when I go in a few weeks I'm going to play a couple of games and see which songs play and when. I still think they couldn't get the rights for the other three songs and just loop the other two.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I'm in error. I mistook Hand Jive for Summertime Blues. I'm getting the same songs played out the same way as Moon Jump is. I'm also wondering if they didn't get the rights to all of them or the other songs aren't playing due to the ROM emulation and the way they're designed to be played. Would like to get some clarification in this from a Farsight employee.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Yeah, I only get two songs too. I hope Farsight can add a little menu button to trigger the other songs. I want rock around the clock, it's kind of the trademark song of the table, isn't it?

Yea it's driving me nuts. I don't know which sound track is worse- this or BK :D!

DEWDEW DEWDEW DEWDEW CRACK CLOMP DEWDEWDEWDEW FIGHT AHGANZ ZREE ENEMIES

(I kinda like the voices ;))

Last edited:

Tokyo Rose

Jul 13, 2012
In full agreement that it would be nice to hear the other tunes if they are part of the actual table , but if in adding them soon , they may in any way mess with what , so far , seems to be a table with pretty negligible faults/bugs at present , I'll gladly download the other songs on iTunes and live without them in the game per se , and let it be for a later update. I've played a number of games now with no volume just to avoid getting an ear worm .:D

Thanks for the official list, btw , dTown.

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I just played a quick game on Android and got Rock Around The Clock on the third ball, so I'm going to assume that all the tracks are present.

Update : Here's what I get on every game so far...Ball 1 - Hand Jive, Ball 2 - Red River Rock, Ball 3 - Rock Around The Clock. I'll pay close attention the next couple of days to see if the songs change.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Please let me know if you get Summertime Blues. That's one I'm definitely not hearing, but would love to.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I think the songs are a similar issue as to the damsels in MM, some sort of state reset each time you start a new game.

I just played a quick game on Android and got Rock Around The Clock on the third ball, so I'm going to assume that all the tracks are present.

Update : Here's what I get on every game so far...Ball 1 - Hand Jive, Ball 2 - Red River Rock, Ball 3 - Rock Around The Clock. I'll pay close attention the next couple of days to see if the songs change.
Interesting, thats a different rotation than I had during beta or the first day of play (where Red River Rock was prominent.

I wonder what the three day rotation is...a set song for each ball, that swaps during certain times, or rotation that swaps every three days? The original table has an internal clock according to the internetz...I wodner if that's emulated well by TPA, or if that clock is reset somehow with a new game....

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I emailed Farsight support about this on Friday. I'll let you know what their response is when I get it.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Here's the answer I received from Farsight.

"Hello,
We were unable to get the license for Summertime Blues and Get a Job. In their place, we put one of the other three, but they are in there.
Please use "reply" to respond to this message if needed.

Thank you,
Pinball Arcade Support"

So, I guess Rock Around The Clock is in there but I haven't heard it yet. A bit of a bummer about the other songs but the owners probably wanted some outrageous amount. Oh well.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012

I only get Hand Jive and RRR, so I guess it's these two for iOS and additionally Rock Around The Clock on Android? Because RATC doesn't show up on my iPad at all (even tried reinstalling). Must be a bug!

By the way, what's the song that plays after Game Over?

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Farsight said they got three out of the five songs. The game over tune is possibly just an original rendition using elements of other doo wop songs from the time period. Yes, I think there's an ios bug. I think it should be the same as android with Rock Around The Clock playing on the third ball but we're not getting it.

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Here's the answer I received from Farsight.

"Hello,
We were unable to get the license for Summertime Blues and Get a Job. In their place, we put one of the other three, but they are in there.
Please use "reply" to respond to this message if needed.

Thank you,
Pinball Arcade Support"

So, I guess Rock Around The Clock is in there but I haven't heard it yet. A bit of a bummer about the other songs but the owners probably wanted some outrageous amount. Oh well.
That sucks. They should have found some replacement songs from the era that could be had for much cheaper, then this version would at least have something the original didn't, which would soften the blow.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I only get Hand Jive and RRR, so I guess it's these two for iOS and additionally Rock Around The Clock on Android? Because RATC doesn't show up on my iPad at all (even tried reinstalling). Must be a bug!

By the way, what's the song that plays after Game Over?

Wonder what would happen if you used something like SoundHound or something. Soundhound can detect songs if you sing them or hum them, so I'm sure the sound from the game would be enough to get a match if one existed.

I'd do it now, but I'm in the office and don't want to make noise ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.